BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Racing into Baja history with Cameron Steele. On ABC TV Sept. 1, 2019
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-17-2019 at 03:42 PM

See how hard it is to report a trip "real time".
I did all mine with my phone.
Next trip I post my own pics too.

Everybody is waiting....

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-17-2019 at 03:44 PM

And I did my own driving... ;)

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-17-2019 at 03:46 PM

And then there was that dog...:D

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 09:34 AM
DAY 1 & 2 (May 12, 13)

I drove to Cameron's shop (1 hour from my home) on Sunday, where my truck would be secure for the week and we were off about 2 pm with 3 Raptors. I was in the newest one, with only 1,800 miles on the odometer (it was well over 3,000 after 6 days). Jimmy Lee Cook drove... he is one of the cameramen and operates the drone, too. Jimmy has produced/ filmed at most of Cameron's tv shows as well as other tv shows, including NatGeo.

We picked up another cameraman (Sasha) along the way and made a beeline for Calexico where Curt LeDuc and another guest with a Raptor joined us.

Across the new Mexicali West border, several of us got FMMs, and then south to San Felipe, arriving as it got dark. We had rooms at a motel that (as I understand) was once part of the El Cortez, but got divided up into 3 smaller motels? It was right on the sand... Dinner was great.
We sat out under a palapa by the sea drinking and chatting before crashing.

The next morning we had breakfast at George's a few blocks inland from the motel. I had hotcakes and bacon. We then were off to Mulegé with stops at Guerrero Negro for tacos, San Ignacio for ice cream, the dirt road north of Santa Roslía for some action shots (the network wanted more off-road action in the show) and at Mulegé we did some filming with the drone along the river. El Patron was closed and Pancho Villa's was no longer there, either... so sad. We met Salvador to ask about logistics to see La Trinidad cave art, but we ended up passing on it. Salvador was very nice and Cameron offered to compensate him for meeting us.

We spent the next two nights at the Serenidad and ate dinners and breakfast there, too. I never saw Don Johnson but did see the nice memorial chapel for his wife, Nancy, who has died.

PHOTOS:

Sunday:

The truck I was in, the Monster Energy Raptor, near Calexico, still clean!

Following Cameron, riding in the Method Wheels Raptor, south of Mexicali.

San Felipe dinner.

Monday:

The ~10-mile detour between Km. 60 (Arroyo Matomí) and Km. 74.5 (Puertecitos).

Some of the highway south of Puertecitos since Oct. 1, 2018, looks like this.

Nearing El Huerfanito.

Las Arrastras, from the bridge on the new highway bypassing Coco's Corner.

Lunch at Guerrero Negro.

I had two fish tacos and a shrimp taco. They were great.

Coming into San Ignacio is spectacular.

The ice cream is great, too! This is on the left side of the plaza.

Cameron points towards the mission.

Founded in 1728, constructed between 1761 and 1786.

[Edited on 5-19-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 11:38 AM

Cool photos and reports. DK!

Mil Gracias!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 12:55 PM

Nice.
Truck looks cool. Not your average Raptor.
Lots of taco stops;)

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 01:03 PM

Tacos are Mexico's gift to the world!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 02:25 PM

David, love the photos and trip report. Where did you eat in San Felipe, that Taco Tray looks fantastic. JH
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 02:44 PM

That dinner was at the hotel. The food and guacamole was great. The tacos were carne asada, shrimp, and octopus. Plus, batter fried fish. I didn't catch the hotel name but it used to be part of the El Cortez we were told.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 08:39 PM
Day 3 Tuesday: Mission Guadalupe de Huasinapí

We had a good breakfast at the Serenidad and headed west, onto the Ice House Road and across the big valley, passing the signed roads to La Trinidad and climbing the hills...

The road north (signed for Ex-Misión de Guadalupe) from the Mulegé to La Ballena (San Juanico/Scorpion Bay) road is much better than when I drove it in 2017. We arrived at the gated and wired shut driveway up to the cinder block building, made lunch, then hiked up the arroyo as I did before and walked to the mission ruins (they are west/ uphill of the cinder-block building). In addition, we went further north to the spring surrounded by the palms before walking out to the main road at the La Presa sign and junction with the road up the hill that goes to San José de Magdalena. The road from there towards the mission is a better approach and there are no fences to go through other than the gate. This was my second time going to the 1720-1795 mission in the mountains.

The road to San José de Magdalena was destroyed in 2014 and reported reopened in late 2018. It is indeed repaired and a very dramatic and photogenic route. There is a very steep grade and for that reason, I suggest only 4WD vehicles attempt it (at least from the east).

Passing through San José de Magdalena, it appears to be a most interesting village with a cemetery of many old graves. Cameron doesn't like cemeteries so he didn't stop. I hope to return and have a better look.

Once on the highway, southbound to Palo Verde, there was a lot of discussion about going to the San Borjitas cave with the time we had left that afternoon. We stopped and had a pow-wow to discuss it and Cameron asked me if we should try the road. Salvador (in Mulegé) said it takes 3-hours to get there. I said we should at least try and see if the road is that bad as we still had daylight and the rest of the group also wanted to try.

Continued in the next post. First, the Day 3 photos to this point...

[Edited on 5-20-2019 by David K]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 08:32 AM
Photos

My Serenidad breakfast.

Getting ready.

Curt LeDuc shows Jimmy and I the ironwood craftsman shop who makes a turtle in just minutes for the rotor saw. This is near the gas station on the south of Mulegé, west side of highway.

The police pull up to Cameron and ask him for a sticker!!!

Jimmy and Curt LeDuc as Jimmy operated the drone for some action shots.

This is the wired shut gate one sees west of the sign for Ex-Misión de Guadalupe. It is just the way I found it almost two years ago. There is a big parking area here. We made lunch then walked to the mission, but not through here, we walked up the arroyo to the next road going west from the La Presa sign.

Sasha filming the mission wall up-close.

This was the inside of the mission church, looking north.

Looking southward, inside the mission church.

A güeribo tree. The reason for the Jesuits to come to this area. This kind of tree was used to build the first ship in California, in 1719, El Triunfo de la Cruz.

Cameron at the La Presa sign. Rancho La Presa is ahead, the mission is best accessed from the gated road to the left here (not a locked gate, always close gates you open), the road to Hwy. 1 south of Santa Rosalia goes uphill, to the right here.

That's me.

A narrow canyon drive on the road coming down from the mission.

A water crossing makes a good action scene.

Beautiful country!

San José de Magdalena cemetery... Only our truck stopped.

Next, we go to San Borjitas...

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 08:37 AM

Very cool, very classic.
Love the water crossing!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 11:42 AM

I think Curt and I are cusins.
My paternal Grandma is a Le Pierre. Her mom full Potowatamie.
Curt is a legend at Crandon Wisconsin also.

"In 1994, the first Forest County Potawatomi Chairman’s Cup race was won in 1994 by desert racing veteran Curt LeDuc, driving a Ford 4×4 truck."

[Edited on 5-20-2019 by fishbuck]

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
That dinner was at the hotel. The food and guacamole was great. The tacos were carne asada, shrimp, and octopus. Plus, batter fried fish. I didn't catch the hotel name but it used to be part of the El Cortez we were told.

This one? https://www.stellasanfelipe.com/eat

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 11:53 AM

Yes, that is a big cemetery for such a little town.

OI000645.jpg - 90kB

I like beer, better than most people.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 12:11 PM

David, do you have a lat long for the wired gate

Harald Pietschmann
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 01:03 PM

Ex-Misión de Guadalupe. It is just the way I found it almost two years ago. There is a big parking area here. We made lunch then walked to the mission, but not through here, we walked up the arroyo to the next road going west from the La Presa sign.

Page 62

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  

This one? https://www.stellasanfelipe.com/eat

Yes, that seems to be it. Thank you.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 01:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  
Yes, that is a big cemetery for such a little town.

Well, it is an old town. The ruined church, across the arroyo from the cemetery, dates to the 1880s or earlier. Some books have (in error I believe) named that ruin as a Dominican mission visita. The true Magdalena visita ruins are at the end of the aqueduct that go from the arroyo here east to the desert and a pila by the wide arroyo, which destroyed most of the ruins in 2014. I was there in 2009 and 2015, before and after the massive flash flood. The same that destroyed the road up to Guadalupe mission.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Ex-Misión de Guadalupe. It is just the way I found it almost two years ago. There is a big parking area here. We made lunch then walked to the mission, but not through here, we walked up the arroyo to the next road going west from the La Presa sign.

Page 62

page 62 of what?

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.