Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mexicali West Southbound
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2019 at 08:27 PM
Mexicali West Southbound

The following four photos are taken at places we turned or drove south from the new border to get on Hwy. 5 for San Felipe. The GPS map seems to show this was the shortest route. Good job Cameron!

Go straight here, as signed.

Turn left here, not as signed for San Felipe.

Go to bridge (that is the old route, going over the bridge).

Turn right, up and on south.

The red lines are my GPS track south from Mexicali West and back north to Mexicali East.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 07:15 AM

Beware the route shown to the east crossing going north is only good for Sentri and Ready.
If you do not have Sentri or Ready then follow the route shown by the little red trucks. Also labeled East Border Road.
Going South either route works.

[Edited on 5-19-2019 by PaulW]
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 07:32 AM

David, did you go by the big park and intersect 5 @ Costco? Looking forward to your latest trip report. Rob
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 08:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Beware the route shown to the east crossing going north is only good for Sentri and Ready.
If you do not have Sentri or Ready then follow the route shown by the little red trucks. Also labeled East Border Road.

Paul, not the case last week: You drive past the Sentri entrance and the regular entrance (driving east on the divided street) to the first street opening/ intersection and make a U-turn and the regular entrance is right there. I have photos. I will post a separate Mexicali East northbound directions.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRob  
David, did you go by the big park and intersect 5 @ Costco? Looking forward to your latest trip report. Rob

No, as the photos and map show, we turned LEFT at the intersection where the sign points right for Tijuana, left for Centro Civico, and straight for San Felipe. That takes you right to the bridge on the former Hwy. 5 access route south... where you turn onto the bridge.
Cameron has short cuts all dialed in in every city!

BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 08:41 AM

Got it . However, there is a quicker way by 10 to 15 minutes depending on traffic. We found it and have used it for our last 6 crossings. If anyone is interested, I will post the route.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 08:45 AM

Got it . However, there is a quicker way by 10 to 15 minutes depending on traffic. We found it and have used it for our last 6 crossings. If anyone is interested, I will post the route.

Of course, we are! LOL Please post.
FYI, as you can see by the map, the way we went was pretty straight and quick from the new border.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Paul, not the case last week: You drive past the Sentri entrance and the regular entrance (driving east on the divided street) to the first street opening/ intersection and make a U-turn and the regular entrance is right there. I have photos. I will post a separate Mexicali East northbound directions.

==
I am sure that would work if traffic is light. To get to the standard lane the U turn requires crossing two thru traffic lanes to get to the far right lane. Not an easy task with heavy traffic I have noticed. Duly noted I always go around and enter the standard lane from the east. Also noted the traffic from the west is huge compared to traffic in the right lane from the east, meaning no line to enter standard lane from the east.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 09:10 AM

I agree. The issue here is traffic congestion and stop lights, not distance. Here you go.
After crossing. stay right on Blvd de los Preidentes. Go through 3 - 4 way stops. You will pass a large building on left, Paleque Rex. Stay in right lane and go through 1 stop light. You will pass a large park on right. Get in left lane and pass under bridge. Make a left turn at light onto Calzado Teran Teran. It will take you directly to Hwy 5 @ Costco. Ignore the first San Felipe sign as it will take you through a residential area.
I know that it sounds complicated, but it's not.
Happy travels, Rob
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 09:57 AM

I agree. The issue here is traffic congestion and stop lights, not distance. Here you go.
After crossing. stay right on Blvd de los Preidentes. Go through 3 - 4 way stops. You will pass a large building on left, Paleque Rex. Stay in right lane and go through 1 stop light. You will pass a large park on right. Get in left lane and pass under bridge. Make a left turn at light onto Calzado Teran Teran. It will take you directly to Hwy 5 @ Costco. Ignore the first San Felipe sign as it will take you through a residential area.
Happy travels, Rob

The people here want maps and photos!!! :lol::light::cool::bounce:

Thank's Rob!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 09:59 AM

==
I am sure that would work if traffic is light. To get to the standard lane the U turn requires crossing two thru traffic lanes to get to the far right lane. Not an easy task with heavy traffic I have noticed. Duly noted I always go around and enter the standard lane from the east. Also noted the traffic from the west is huge compared to traffic in the right lane from the east, meaning no line to enter standard lane from the east.

You are so right!
The traffic was light on Friday afternoon... We had only a dozen cars ahead of us when we got to the back of the line. I heard that the line of cars can go way-way back. I will always use Tecate to come home, personally.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 10:34 AM

I went through there a month ago and can confirm this can be very confusing.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 11:11 AM

Happy travels, Rob

Looks pretty easy to follow on Google Earth, thanks.

The one and only time I crossed on the new crossing going south I wound up in the middle of nowhere. After getting directions a couple of times I finally found Hwy 5.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 11:30 AM

The people here want maps and photos!!! :lol::light::cool::bounce:

Thank's Rob!

Tracks are even better.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 12:02 PM

Here are two images based on Rob's directions.

[Edited on 5-19-2019 by TMW]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 12:15 PM

These may be easier to view.

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 01:09 PM

Once you clear the inspection area and are on the street, stay left and in maybe 75 yards make a sharp left that goes up a slight grade. At the Alto turn right, go 1 block and turn right onto 5 and stay right thru town following the signs for San Felipe. Next stop tacos about 18 or so miles south of town at the Oxxo/Pemex on the right side of the road. Doesn't get much easier.

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 1.04.26 PM.jpg - 228kB

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 12.22.07 PM.jpg - 202kB

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 01:36 PM

If you love traffic congestion, crazy taxi and bus drivers, 100 stop lights etc, that would be the way to go. If not, go around that chit and come out at Costco. I have made the trip through Mexicali over 100 times over the last 18 years and I don't miss the chit.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2019 at 03:58 PM

Tom, thanks for the visual. This is a case when the short route is not the quick route. Ron's wife Georgia clued me in.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 05:56 AM

D,
I have seen all 3 lanes south bound lanes backed up west of the route you took to get to that left turn to the 3 lane. Avoiding that way is a good idea.
And the west bound two left lane are frequently backed up to prevent a possible U turn.
The 6 lane divided road has become a very popular drive for the locals in morning and after work.

==

You are so right!
The traffic was light on Friday afternoon... We had only a dozen cars ahead of us when we got to the back of the line. I heard that the line of cars can go way-way back. I will always use Tecate to come home, personally.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.