Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: CSD's Surf Fishing guide
djamelo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 01:12 PM
CSD's Surf Fishing guide

hi
This is a compile of information I have collected, modified and added too. Much of the information came from Jeff Klassen and Stephan Jansen. Some of the techniques exchanged from the locals are in this too. I figured with the amount of traffic asking about surf fishing, I could maybe help out.

The normal catch:

Sierra – best lures: Cabo Killers, Rangers and spoons including various irons. Common along the beaches. Eating quality is Real Good (Cevichi).

Jack Crevalle – best lures: Cabo killers, Rangers and small poppers. Rocks or beach. Eating quality is Horrible.

Roosterfish – best lures: Cabo killers, and Rangers. Top water walking baits for the small ones. Along the sandy beaches. Eating quality is Bad, unless very small.

Yellow snapper – best lures: Small poppers and Shads. Rocky areas. Eating quality is real good. Mainly a night feeder.

Colorado snappers – best lures: 4 to 5 inch Shads. Rocky areas or beaches during spawning season. Eating quality is good

Leopard Grouper - best lures: Poppers and 5” Shads. Rocky points. Eating quality is excellent.

Snook – best lures: 5 to 6” Shads and Spoons, structure and river mouth. Eating quality is Excellent.

Yellowtail – best lures: Cabo Killers and Rangers, inshore just before spawning along rocks and beach. Eating quality is excellent.

Needlefish – best lures: Cabo killers Rangers, Poppers, almost anything. Found everywhere. Eating quality is very bad, green meat!

Bluefin Travally – best lures: Cabo Killers and Rangers and Small Poppers, rocks or beach. Eating quality is Fair.

Hawkfish - best lures: Small Poppers, Shads and Spoons. Rocky areas. Eating quality is fair.

Ladyfish - best lures: Small top waters and small lures. Small schools in the Cortez. Eating quality. mush

Well known fishing beaches

Heading west and north from town (Cabo) – Solomar, Pedregral, Sunset, Old Lighthouse, Henhouse, San Cristobal, Migrino, Pozo Cota, Margaritas, Curva del Soladado, Los Cerritos and finally Punta Lobos just before the town of Todos Santos.

Heading east from town you have El Medano, El Tule, Palmilla, La Playita, Punta Gorda, La Fortuna, Boca del Tule, Los Frailles, El Rincon, Punta Arena (the lighthouse), Punta Colorado, and La Ribera, just before the town of Los Barilles.

The lighthouse spot off Punta Arena, is ground zero. Yellow fin even get caught off the beach. The Abyss is right there. It is a spot, every surf fisherman should test someday. Renting a vehicle and traveling the road from La Playita to La Ribera, and fishing the access points, is as good as it gets, at times. Even better would be to book rooms along the way. La Playita, Los, Frailles, Cabo Pulmo, Punta Colorada, and La Ribera would be good bets with good access to the surf spots.

The Pacific beaches offer serious waves. You definitely need to be able to throw extremely hard to make the Ranger get where they need to be most of the time. Some very big roosters get landed along these big surf beaches. The action peaks around summer for the big stuff. Short gravel roads leave the hwy to Todos Santos, and head west to the beaches. Drive very defensively! Staying at one of the Pacific side condo’s allows you to fish the beach. The time share cops will attempt to get you to not fish there. It pays to have the info you need to let them understand, that you know about the thirty-yard rule. Having it written in Spanish along with a fishing license will end all harassment.

All beaches are federally owned and public (thirty yards from the shoreline). Rocky areas can apparently be private.

Tips:

A fishing license is not necessary by the technical term, but it is highly recommended. Showing the license will usually help when someone checks you out. Licenses can be bought from Mexican Department of Fisheries 2550 fifth Ave. Suite 101 San Diego, Ca 92103 Tel;(619)233-4324.

Well known guides have been, or are, Jeff Klassen, Stephen Jansen, Gary Graham.

Rent a four wheel drive and fish your way along the coast. There is a growing local fraternity of surf fisherman. If you are on the right beaches you will see them. Go to the tackle shops and talk to them also. Print the maps off google earth to see where the roads get down to the beaches. Get people to mark them up for you on how to gain access. Search out the active guides around town.

First and last light of the day is usually best.

Always carry a long pair of pliers!

Never turn your back to the ocean! Walk down to the surf to cast and walk backwards to where the surf can’t knock you down.

When fishing around the rocks use a 9 foot spinning outfit with 15 or 20lb test or 30lb braid. Distance is less important. Use a 30 inch leader with 50lb flouro-carbon. Use poppers when fishing the rocks. Fish slow to allow slow rock dwelling fish a chance to rise. When fishing the rocks during high tide use hard body shads to get down to the fish. Fish slow! Root Beer is a good color.

When fishing the beaches, use a 10 to 12 foot spinning outfit, with 20 to 25lb test mono or 30lb braid. Duck tape your casting finger for throwing 3 oz. Rangers and Cabo Killers! When using a Ranger or Cabo Killer, go very fast! They must skip! Use red/white or chrome. Use a 30-inch, fifty-pound, wire, bite leader with ball bearing swivels. High-speed spinning reel. Cut bait like shrimp, Mackerel and squid also work along the sand beside the fast lures. Pompano, croakers, sharks and pargo are caught on the cut bait.

A shark attack can occur over landing and competing for a fish along the Pacific beaches. Get out of the surf when landing a fish.

If you happen to get taken off your feet and swept out, do not panic and just inflate your emergency vest and wait for a passing boat to rescue you.

When the mullet (Lisa) are in, the roosters, jacks, snook and pargo are not too far away.

Watch the water (binoculars), feeding roosters can be seen a mile down the beach.

Fishing big roosters from the beach is like big game hunting. Be patient!

Surf fishing picks up in late April and peaks in the summer months. The fall period is also good and things taper down in Dec. when colder water fish like sierra and rock dwelling fish are there during the winter.

Bring a backpack with some tackle, water, food, and some kind of sun shelter. Cut a small section of pvc pipe that fits in the pack to stand your rods at times in the sand. Cut one end flush and the other at a 45 angle. Pliers and a knife are crucial. Duct tape, extra sun glasses. Camera in plastic. Your paper work in a ziplock. Oh ya MORE WATER!

Don’t Litter!
I did not find the right solution from the internet.

References:
-https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150769-i82-k1366083-CSD_s_Surf_Fishing_guide-Baja_California.html

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.
And Have fun.

[Edited on 6-30-2019 by BajaNomad]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 01:26 PM

Ok:coolup:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 04:38 PM

The one true killer that wasn't mentioned whatsoever in your list were 5/8 and 3/4 oz. blue/silver Luhr Martin Krokodiles. They will literally catch anything that swims, have hooked almost all on your list with them. I bring down dozens of 'em. Caught big yellers, a 58# rooster, (prolly) a VERY BIG ray (70-80# +), small trigger & big trigger (not mentioned) A to Z and soup to nuts.

My fave by far, trolling, jigging, casting, the works.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 04:52 PM
A different Needlefish?

I have never been tempted to eat the needlefish I have seen in Baja, but years ago I caught a huge one fishing near Manzanillo on the mainland.

It was four feet long, and fairly thick, so we cut it into steaks. The meat was nice firm, tasty white meat, and the bones were green and easy to spot! The teeth were green too.

Full disclosure, I didn't catch it surf fishing!

[Edited on 5-21-2019 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 05:50 PM

let me be the first (i don't know why) great post! this mans first post is an excellent primer for guys getting to know this fishery.
thanks, djamelo and welcome
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 06:47 PM

So there are no croakers, corbina or white seabass in the surf of CSD?
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 07:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
The one true killer that wasn't mentioned whatsoever in your list were 5/8 and 3/4 oz. blue/silver Luhr Martin Krokodiles. They will literally catch anything that swims, have hooked almost all on your list with them. I bring down dozens of 'em. Caught big yellers, a 58# rooster, (prolly) a VERY BIG ray (70-80# +), small trigger & big trigger (not mentioned) A to Z and soup to nuts.

Buddha, where do you buy these in quantity? I always have a hard time fining anyone who has more than just a couple and not many colors, not that color matters much but nice to have a little variety.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 07:26 PM

Yes, Welcome djamelo ,

Best first post I've ever seen , thanks...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Buddha, where do you buy these in quantity? I always have a hard time fining anyone who has more than just a couple and not many colors, not that color matters much but nice to have a little variety.

Google is yer friend. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/luhr-jensen-krocodile-spoon. Look for "Color: Chrome Blue Mackerel". Make sure it has the little plastic 'blood drop' at the base of the lure where the hook attaches.

I learned a great trick for the 'blood drop'...... I carried a small roll of RED duct tape in my gear, and ANY lure I used i'd take a very thin red strip of tape and at the base of the lure above the hook i'd fashion a 'blood drop' of tape; simply wrap around the ring, small scissors and cut a small triangular flag (half inch?) and the catching increased exponentially.

Best lure I've ever used, any water, any fish. Never used live or dead cut-bait for 3 years, only iron, and mostly this lure. NEVER SKUNKED. Happy lip-rippin'.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 10:22 PM

Ah yeah good ole Bass Blow Shop, the downfall of Cabelas. Always out of stock of the ones you really want. Sportsmans Warehouse used to be good but they only keep 1 of each in stock most of the time now and the Luhr Jensen site, read Rapala, never has a good stock either. Not sure what is so hard about keeping these around these days, not like they don't sell them when they have them.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2019 at 05:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have never been tempted to eat the needlefish I have seen in Baja, but years ago I caught a huge one fishing near Manzanillo on the mainland.

It was four feet long, and fairly thick, so we cut it into steaks. The meat was nice firm, tasty white meat, and the bones were green and easy to spot! The teeth were green too.

Yes, indeed. There are two species of needlefish in the Cortez. The Baja Catch calls the big species Agujon as I recall. They’re supposed to be great leapers as well. I, personally, only saw them twice: a dead one washed up on the beach and one from my boat at Pt Areana which ignored my offerings. Yeah, their size is impressive.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2019 at 09:27 AM

great post! thanks for sharing

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2019 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Yes, indeed. There are two species of needlefish in the Cortez. The Baja Catch calls the big species Agujon as I recall. They’re supposed to be great leapers as well. I, personally, only saw them twice: a dead one washed up on the beach and one from my boat at Pt Areana which ignored my offerings. Yeah, their size is impressive.

Was out on the water the other day and saw what I think was a needlefish skipping along the surface like a damn stone, something must have been chasing it, it was kicking along and skimming across the top of the water, went for quite a ways before diving back in, at least 40 yards. big old body wriggling almost completely out of the water and just the tail skittering along the surface

pretty neat!

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2019 at 09:49 AM

Don't forget the Kastmasters in 1/2 or 3/8 oz. Blue/Chrome or Silver/Reflect tape. Work great for me in all surf conditions, as well as freshwater (gold). Those and Krockodiles are both sure to catch fish.

John
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 08:21 AM

The Cabo Killer works good on the videos. Anyone use them with success ?
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 11:42 AM

Another vote for the Kastmaster when on the beach where distance is king the K/M rules.....they were built on the east coast in the beginning for Stripers and Bluefish in heavy conditions, weigh in the tail is the key, many smaller versions have since been offered.
I have lost track of the number of different kinds of fish I have caught both sweetwater and salt, no I don't work for Acme:lol:...….Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 01:56 PM

Great Post. I caught a couple of nice corbina a few weeks back, North of Todos Santos. Cabo Killers work great. I will try and post photo.
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 02:40 PM

Where to buy Cabo killers ? Minerva’s?
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 04:30 PM

Jansens Inshore Tackle - CSL - Wallmart shopping center
also has a store SJD - Near the marina
Check his website
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2019 at 06:30 AM

This is one of the corbinas caught a few weeks back
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.