I guess. Pretty pricey right foot.

John
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 08:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Cost me $150 USD. No big deal.

Just pocket change, eh? Let’s call you richie rich!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 10:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The Baja highway is overall dangerous south of San Quintin where it is 19' wide with no shoulders. What I said is that stretch of the dangerous highway (beyond the eagle) is the safest because it is straight, and level, unlike many other parts. You didn't edit out all of my post: "maybe the safest since..."

Straight, hilly, level, and still dangerous. Not safest, or safer.

Any vehicle going off the shoulder there at 50 mph+ will be in serious trouble.

Speeding on this stretch is high risk. Let's be careful.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 07:20 PM

Many great memories of that straight stretch of road including an early foggy morning too close for comfort encounter with a big ass longhorn steer. Inches from disaster but somehow made it.:saint:

I heard from a local once that the Highway patrol closes shop at 5:00 PM. Not sure if that is true but I have never seen radar in the late afternoon early evening. Just saying. :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Many great memories of that straight stretch of road including an early foggy morning too close for comfort encounter with a big ass longhorn steer. Inches from disaster but somehow made it.:saint:

Use to leave GN in the dark going South. One morning miles out of town, must have been one of those longhorns got hit -- the blood splatter was a V-shape, the steer exploded meters down the road. Looked like a war zone. I slowed to a crawl freaking out. Stopped driving in the dark.

Last time I drove that road, I passed a semi (he saw me) that drifted into my lane which would have been inches away. Nice.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 08:20 PM

let's face it, anyone with any common sense is relaxed and drinking a few cervezas at 6 - 7 pm, even n the summer. I really hope this forum lightens up a little, get back to info that helps a traveler. both sides of an isle are out of control here...remember we are all the same species, working together for the greater good has become a lost art, que lastima
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 09:52 PM

LIVE FAST
DIE YOUNG

[Edited on 5-24-2019 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 02:33 PM

What a lot of people fail to keep in mind Is that on many parts, ESPECIALLY the flat land areas the highway is actually elevated well above the surrounding off road area. When you come off the side of the road unplanned there may be no flat emergency area just a steep sloping berm that will send you into a flying roll at speed off the road. That's were the road becomes deadly.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-25-2019 at 10:52 AM

I posted this to warn folks to slow down in this stretch of highway that because of its nature encourages speeding. The cop said no stops would be made for up to 65 MPH. (not Kilometers) He joked that some speeders try to get out of fines by saying that they mistook 80K as 80MPH. Good try.
BTW I would bet that some of the remarks here are from those who have never driven south of Ensenada.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 08:13 AM

I have only been going down to Baja for 7 years. I drive a truck and camper. I had a very close call 2 years ago when the road was blown out on a blind corner and almost had a head on. Now I drive 80 km and take my time. Last year I avoided a collision because I was driving slow enough to give the guy time to get back into his lane.

No more speeding for me.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 08:39 AM

On the same stretch of road last year, I got stuck behind some very slow traffic (less than 80 kph). An over loaded ranch truck appeared to be followed by two sedans, and none of them could stay in their own lane!

It was at least ten miles before there was an upgraded section of highway that had shoulders wide enough to risk passing them. There must have been an interesting story behind that mini-caravan!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.