BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: Volvo XC-70 ok for Baja?
Volvo XC-70 is a great Baja car! --- 1 (20%)
Volvo XC-70 is the worst Baja car ever! --- 2 (40%)
What's a Volvo? --- 1 (20%)
A good Baja car must be a giant gas guzzling truck or nothing! --- 1 (20%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Volvo XC-70 ok for Baja?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 04:24 PM
Volvo XC-70 ok for Baja?

In my continuing evolution to pick a decent "grocery getter" and "border run" machine, I stumbled on this car.
My goal was enough toughness for Baja highway and dirt roading, yet with the highest mpg.
I started with a Prius...
But then evolved to a VW Passat Wagon AWD. Very cool but I couldn't find the right kind nearby.
So then remembered the Volvo.
Anybody ever own one?
Everybody says they are ultra safe too.
I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about them.
I found a nice one with about 60,000 on it.
They look cool and have excellent cargo capacity.
And plenty of room to sleep in the back occasionally.

[Edited on 5-22-2019 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 04:46 PM

did you catch this earlier?

the Swede's call it "close to danger" in a Volvo I would agree!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a10474/el-malarrimo...

I think its an awful idea......jmo of course;)
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 04:46 PM

Hayzues Creesto, just buy a 3 or 4-year-old small Japanese pickup. Buy it new if you have the bucks.

Good luck taking your Volvo that needs some parts to a Mex mechanic.

Don't buy anything that's not sold in Mexico. No parts. Get in a small accident and you're phuked.

[Edited on 5-23-2019 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 05:09 PM

There are no Mechanics in Baja that speak SVedish......
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 05:13 PM

That is a dorky looking car.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 05:25 PM

Ok.
I am beginning to give up.
I should probably just renew my Washington tag. If I can do it from out of state.
Considering my F-350 is showing 9.1 mpg right now, the Volvo was half that or better.
So I went from Prius, to little ford wagon, then AWD VW and Volvo.
I don't need another pick-up. Even a small one. I've had 2 Rangers and would get that.
But I was looking for a little econo wagon. Something I could haul enclosed loads cheaply.
But tomorrow I will try Washington again...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 05:36 PM

Why not get a nice used Toyota 4Runner? They are small, fully enclosed, 4 wheel drive, and all over Baja. Sell your gas hog. Use the money to get a nice little boat, and tow it with the 4Runner. Simple.

John

[Edited on 5-23-2019 by John Harper]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 05:41 PM

4Runners come in 2 wheel drive also. One of the last body on frame mid-sized SUVs. Most are unibody.

[Edited on 5-23-2019 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Ok.
I should probably just renew my Washington tag. If I can do it from out of state.
Considering my F-350 is showing 9.1 mpg right now, the Volvo was half that or better.
I don't need another pick-up. Even a small one. I've had 2 Rangers and would get that.
But I was looking for a little econo wagon. Something I could haul enclosed loads cheaply.

My 3/4 ton Chevy gets 17 mpg on the highway. Trade that old rig in.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 06:18 PM

Volvo = chinese crap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Cars
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 08:28 PM

Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, Dodge, GMC c'mon dude get inline with the program
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 10:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
Very clean Toyota Hilux (1979) for $4900 near LAX. Motor has 135k but probably good for 250-300k before a rebuild. Tint the camper windows darker and you have a relatively safe stash area for your stuff.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/hermosa-beach-19...

[Edited on 5-23-2019 by TedZark]

Hilux... I will need to look that up.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-22-2019 at 11:25 PM

Hilux is what Toyota trucks the size of Tacomas are called, that are sold outside the U.S. and Canada. You see them in Mexico and south. They are considered tougher than Tacomas and the 4x4 model has a solid front axle instead of I F S.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 08:14 AM

I told you before - look at the suzuki grand vitara sidekick geo tracker linage, get one with a manual trans. they have 4 wd with a locking diff, cheap run forever, mexican mechanics are familiar with em, easy to get parts, get the 4 door version, plenty of room. you can pick up a good one for 5-6k. or you can't go wrong with the 4 runner, hilux lineage either

Not sure why you keep veering off into the "exotics"?
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 08:35 AM

For an automaker that runs it's company on the boottails of
Sweden's historically magestic Volvo, modern day Volvo may look good, have the same price points as the older, rather expensive Volvo used to have, the company has been owned by Chinese for the past seven years and will not admit it. Why would you need one.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 08:58 AM

Hey, Buck...get yourself a mail box in South Dakota. Over 3/4 of all US vehicles living in Baja are registered in SD. The small hassle-free fees for registering in a great reason. Also, no smogs.

You can get the best information @ www.americas-mailbox.com
They will even help with the registrations and getting a SD driver's lic.

If it is any indication to you, regarding vehicles here in Baja, we have a 2018 TESLA model X, Toyota FJ Cruiser and a 2018 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo which we use for heavy duty off-road trips.

Ok.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by daveB  
For an automaker that runs it's company on the boottails of
Sweden's historically magestic Volvo, modern day Volvo may look good, have the same price points as the older, rather expensive Volvo used to have, the company has been owned by Chinese for the past seven years and will not admit it. Why would you need one.

V40, S60 and the new XC60 made in Sweden. Models/parts also made in China and SC.

First car was a '66 Volvo PV544. Currently looking at the XC40.

Chinese ownership has been public for 9 years. Not a problem.

For Baja, I'm amazed at the number of Mercedes-Benz I see on the autobahn between La Paz and Cabo. (M-B has plants in 22 countries including Mexico. Hecho en Mexico no problemo.)

For long term usage down South, a vehicle that can be easily repaired in Baja makes sense. For a vehicle used for vacation in Baja, but maintained NOB, almost doesn't matter.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 10:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Hey, Buck...get yourself a mail box in South Dakota. Over 3/4 of all US vehicles living in Baja are registered in SD. The small hassle-free fees for registering in a great reason. Also, no smogs.

You can get the best information @ www.americas-mailbox.com
They will even help with the registrations and getting a SD driver's lic.

If it is any indication to you, regarding vehicles here in Baja, we have a 2018 TESLA model X, Toyota FJ Cruiser and a 2018 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo which we use for heavy duty off-road trips.

Ok.

I called them. I will need to travel to South Dakota to get a Driver's license before I can register a vehicle.
It's not cheap and you have to fly into like Chicago or Minneapolis and drive there.
Maybe later.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 10:38 AM

I called them. I will need to travel to South Dakota to get a Driver's license before I can register a vehicle.

Almost correct. You don't need a DL to register a vehicle in SD. Registration can be done by phone and mail.

You do have to show up to get a DL, though.

Clay County Courthouse, Vermillion, SD (605) 677-6485. Call this number (to register) for help/info.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 11:25 AM

I bought a 2013 Jetta sportwagen TDI with the six speed regular standard transmission not the paddle shifter. Being a diesel it get great MPGS close to 40 on the fwy and mid to high 30's in mixed driving. The fuel has to be ultra lo sulfur and free of ANY water. It is just regular FWD and will do if you are not driving in areas where 4wd is needed. Most parts are easy to find but I should imagine the engine parts may have to be ordered. The VW jetta while small , can handle the baja roads. I drove a 2000 and 2003 4 dr sedan several times to cabo and BOLA once going off an unexpected 4 inch total pavement drop offs with no damage to the front end. Have also been on dirt roads. I would recommend the installation of a aluminum belly pan to protect the cast aluminum oil pan which if cracked is a total show stopper. the stock belly pan is plastic.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.