BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: Volvo XC-70 ok for Baja?
Volvo XC-70 is a great Baja car! --- 1 (20%)
Volvo XC-70 is the worst Baja car ever! --- 2 (40%)
What's a Volvo? --- 1 (20%)
A good Baja car must be a giant gas guzzling truck or nothing! --- 1 (20%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Volvo XC-70 ok for Baja?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 11:32 AM

Maybe not. From www.americas-mailbox.com

You do NOT have to have a South Dakota driver's license to register your vehicles in Pennington County

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 11:35 AM

I am staying away from desel. But that is a cool little engine in the Jetta.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 04:37 PM

I have driven a couple Grand Vitaras from the mid 2000s for extended periods of time. They were the six cylinder models. They really dont get very good gas mileage (though they are better than 9.1). But they are reliable and capable.

WhoTF buys an F350 that isnt diesel??? :?:

F350 = heavy loads/towing = diesel mandatory.

Find a used RAV 4, or Highlander or Honda CRV with AWD. The Honda Pilot is a decent vehicle, too, but it's big and boxy and doesnt get that great of mileage.

Stay away from FWD only. Since the mid/late 2000s or so, many of these very capable/fuel efficient SUVs have AWD, electronic traction control (sometimes referred to as the "snow" setting). Slap a set of all terrain tires on them, carry a set of tire deflators and a decent 12v pump and you'd be surprised at the places you can go when you air down. No, you wont be doing the Pole Line Road........

I could take tire track photos in the sand at Shell Island (just like David K !!) with my Highlander. What more proof does a Nomad need??? :bounce: Just a simple AWD with traction control. Clearance is decent in a Highlander. Not as good as a 4Runner, though.

25-30 mpg @ 65-70 mph with a six cylinder engine. Seats seven in a pinch or lay all the back seats "flat" (well, sorta) and you can sleep back there, in a pinch.

4Runners are VERY capable but dont get great mileage and the on-road ride is stiff and with a bit of sway. Highlanders ride like butter on pavement or dirt. There is a reason why used Highlanders hold their value so well.

Xterras aint a bad choice, either. Like a 4Runner, only less reliable.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 07:32 PM

I went back to the drawing board.
So it turns out that Washington makes it super easy to renew your registration online.
So I decided I would give WA anothet shot and renewed thr gas guzzler online.
Tags in the mail and and email confimation until they arrive.

I bought this truck used from Enterprise. I can only imagine what people did with it.
There are holes where someone bolted a 5th wheel reciever in the bed. Horses I'm guessing.
Why gas? Ask Enterprise.
All I know is it drives like a really big Mustang. The stiff suspension makes it turn very well. No roll at all.
Freeway chop is an absolute killer in this thing. Brutal.
It doesn't even feel a motocross bike and gear.
I had a pallet of pavers at 3200lbs in the bed and another on a trailer. It was in it's element and rode like a Caddy.
I think it could have carried 1 more pallet in the bed.
The only limit is trying to stop it.
Even empty that must be managed at all times.
It's heavy.
So as soon as I get some Baja insurance he will make a victorious return to his fishcamp... where he belongs:cool:

Let the gas guzzling begin...;)

[Edited on 5-24-2019 by fishbuck]

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 07:59 PM

Dont assume you have to drive that F350 around with anything close to 80 psi, if you have load range E tires on it. The ride will be much improved if you drive around with them at 40 psi. Yeah, they wont last as long. But your kidneys will last longer.

In fact, DONT BUY LR-E tires for it unless you are going to put some serious laden weight in the back. Like a truck camper or a 5th wheel or you are going to be hauling lots of heavy metal or cement. A C or D rated tire will be just fine. That will improve your ride, too. A motocross bike and asstd gear is not serious weight to a one ton truck.

What year is it? Do you have leaf springs on the front or coil springs?

Oh, and get a serious theft deterrent on that truck. They are easy to steal. Vehicle theft employs a lot of tweakers in Mexico. SQ has its share, I have heard. Learn how to pull your PCM fuse (or equivalent for a gas engine) or install a hidden kill switch and consider getting a locking brake restraint. Steering wheel restraints are too easy to get around.

This ain't Newport Beach, boopsie..........

Ideally, you should still get some kind of vehicle that gets decent MPGs. Some kind of beater, I guess. I still like the versatility of an SUV.

But its never a bad idea to have a truck in the "fleet". They are just so useful. There was one 18 month period in my life since 1980 where I didn't own a truck in the family. I hated it; borrowing trucks from friends. What kind of person lives a life like that, for an extended period? I threw in the towel.

[Edited on 5-24-2019 by Hook]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 08:04 PM

On the upside, WA state will be eliminating vehicle emissions testing 1/2020. Great state.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/new...

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 08:09 PM

Fishbuck, nothing wrong with having a beater truck around for the times when you need one, or just have a fun place to take it. Go ahead and find another smaller beater for a daily driver (I also like the Chevy Tracker/Suzuki Vitara).

Forget insuring the vehicles individually, and get an annual drivers license policy that will cover you whether you are driving either of them, or whatever else strikes your fancy!

My idea of a good Baja rig is something I can afford to walk away from!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 08:23 PM

Hook got it right, and got posted while I was still composing my reply. For a while, my work/camping truck was a heavy duty Chevy, diesel crew cab. I swapped the stock wheels and tires for 12,5x35 inch mud terrains and it was a much better ride!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 12:18 PM

I had Pirrelli Scorpions 1st.
Excellent on my F-150.
Brutally hard for the F-350.
I hated them. I couldn't what for them to get 40,000.
I bought Michellen Defenders this time.
Night and day. Excellent tires. Very expensive.

I tried running the Pirellis at 40, 30, even 20.
It helps but puts an almost never ending bounce in the truck that makes it harder to drive.
And also can induce speed wobble.
If you ever have that happen to you in an F-350... you will be teriffied...

I run the Michelins at the full 80psi.
Only the freeway chop is unbareable.
I have a neck pillow an smush my spine back into my seat as hard as I can to save my vertebrae...
There are a few tricks to soften the ride while keeping it's full capacity.
A little expensive...
But I think I will start with the truck now...
It's like $1000 for a tune-up on it.
I think the best mpg I've ever gotton was 12. 11 not hard with mostly easy freeway. 65mph... maybe 70. Rides better faster but gets real thirsty... cruises 80 no problem if you wanna pay...

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 12:27 PM

I saw a Volvo VC70 yesterday and it was cool.

You guys will hate my next car idea

Dodge Magnum wagon AWD. 6.5 inches ground clearance stock.
I have rented them before and the are cool.
And cheap.
And there is a V8 hemi version... like 18mpg
But I'm liking the V6 version for a tiny milage improvment... like about 20mpg
But a V8 hemi... what Red Blooded American male can resist that?

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 02:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
I saw a Volvo VC70 yesterday and it was cool.

You guys will hate my next car idea

Dodge Magnum wagon AWD. 6.5 inches ground clearance stock.
I have rented them before and the are cool.
And cheap.
And there is a V8 hemi version... like 18mpg
But I'm liking the V6 version for a tiny milage improvment... like about 20mpg
But a V8 hemi... what Red Blooded American male can resist that?

A guy I know bought a Hemi Magnum new. It spent more time at the dealer for various recalls and random breakdowns than on the road. He really took a bath on it when he traded but the vehicle could never be depended on.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 02:39 PM

Maybe why their cheap used...

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Dont assume you have to drive that F350 around with anything close to 80 psi, if you have load range E tires on it. The ride will be much improved if you drive around with them at 40 psi. Yeah, they wont last as long. But your kidneys will last longer.

I have my at 60-65, even when the bed is full with our gear and two bikes on the back. Extremely smooth on pavement.

Run them at 35 in the dirt.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 02:58 PM

Its just a car. Just buy one. Stop over-thinking it. Its just going to slowly decay, get wrecked or get stolen.

Buy a bicycle for going to grocery store.

Save your money and you might someday afford 4 that plane you talk about!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 07:28 PM
Their Cheap ?

There there.

Try "they're........."
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 5-26-2019 at 07:52 AM

My 2000 Grand Vitara 4x4 fits perfectly in my Baja garage while I'm gone. Bought it for $2,000 from old folks who towed it behind their rv. Included the tow rig. I did a lift to the suspension, some oversized tires, and that little bugger scoots up and over anything I've tried yet. Even towed my 26' Striper around camp a couple times. I'm 6'5" and it has plenty of leg room and head room for me. Cheap and reliable and still looks modern. With 15 psi in the tires it rips on the rutty dirt road between Rincon and town at LA Bay. And it has a/c!

Vitara.jpg - 124kB

[Edited on 5-26-2019 by Doug/Vamonos]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-26-2019 at 09:03 AM

Hard to find but very cool.

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2019 at 08:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Hard to find but very cool.

Not really, they are around, always several listed on craigslist. you just have to be dilligent in looking.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/alameda-2003-suzuki-x...

in the meantime, hers another option, carbeurated bulletproof engine, manual trans, cheap very dependable, mechanics know it, couldn't go wrong

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/richmond-1989-toyota-...

[Edited on 5-27-2019 by caj13]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 08:57 AM

That 89 Toyota would be a good beater, but I will never buy another truck that doesnt have at least the extra cab behind the seats. Too nice being able to store stuff inside AND it allows you much more flexibility in adjusting the backrest of the seat.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 09:08 AM

I used to want one of there so much.
That and a Datsun Kingcab.
I think the 1st "extracab" truck.
All I could afford was a Pinto station wagon that I fixed up at the Air Force base hobby shop.
I used it like a pick up.
Beach cruiser and beach chair lived in the back so I could escape to Newport at a moments notice.
And then race home in time to throw my uniform on and make "rollcall" and back onto the flightline and make planes fly. That was my life for 4 years.
The glow of a Newport weekend fresh on my face.
That is kind of where my AWD station wagon idea is coming from.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.