Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Sentri Taking Forever
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 05:42 PM
Sentri Taking Forever

Renewing my Sentri....think I’ve been waiting 3 months for approval. Thank you government shutdown.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 07:03 PM

In same boat. if you started before expiration its still good to use. :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 09:45 AM

Renewed my Sentri last year, it took 5 months. During the interview at Otay, the CBP officer asked why I was doing Sentri instead of Global Entry, which apparently takes less time. I said I've always had Sentri, and he looked at me like I was an idiot and shrugged (this happens to me a lot). I'm guessing that the difference in wait times, if there is one, is that Global Entry is limited to American citizens and citizens of a limited number of countries, while Sentri is open to anyone who qualifies, so the Sentri background checks take longer. For purposes of using the Sentri lanes, for TSA Pre, and for expedited customs approval for international travel, I can't discern any difference between Sentri and Global Entry, both cards appear to be valid for all three.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2019 at 09:58 AM

One benefit of Sentri over GE is that all your minor kids can get it for free, vs. $100 per kid with GE.

I might have gone for Sentri if I knew that to save $300.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 5-26-2019 at 07:41 AM

Call me confused...

I thought Sentri and Global Entry were one and the same. That with a Sentri card I could activate Global Entry? Are you saying they are two different programs? Do you still get a Sentri card or is it actually a Global Entry card? Mine expires in February 2020 so I guess it's time to get started.

[Edited on 5-26-2019 by Doug/Vamonos]
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2019 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
Call me confused...

I thought Sentri and Global Entry were one and the same. That with a Sentri card I could activate Global Entry? Are you saying they are two different programs? Do you still get a Sentri card or is it actually a Global Entry card? Mine expires in February 2020 so I guess it's time to get started.

[Edited on 5-26-2019 by Doug/Vamonos]

It is confusing to say the least... Back when I got my Sentri card years ago, the agent said that she added Global Entry and TSA pre-check since it was no additional cost. Global Entry allows you to use the trusted traveler / G.E. kiosks at airports when coming into the U.S. from international flights.

Now, you can just get Global Entry and add a vehicle and it gives you the same rights or access as Sentri. It includes TSA pre-check as well.

I had a friend just get his G.E. and the whole process only took him about 3 weeks!!!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2019 at 09:06 AM

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 07:27 AM

Thanks for the info Pacifico. Sounds like GE is the way to go. And cheaper!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 08:02 AM

Does it matter if you are living in Mexico full time when applying for the first time? ie. having a permanent Mexican address instead of a US address.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 06:01 PM

Took about 6 months for my Sentri last summer. My GF got her GE in about a month while I was waiting.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between Sentri and Global Entry, is that you pay up front to register your car with Sentri, with Global Entry you pay to add it after you're approved. Other than that, they are the same. TSA precheck with each, expedited customs when flying home, etc.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2019 at 11:31 AM

There is no extra cost to register a vehicle with GE. You do it upfront in the application.

The differences are:
- Sentri costs a little more for an individual
- Sentri is free for minor kids; GE costs $100 per person
- You can get Sentri with a non-resident Visa, not so with GE

[Edited on 5-28-2019 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
In same boat. if you started before expiration its still good to use. :cool:

I submitted a month before expiration Gato. You saying I can use it even tho it expired?

Gracias all.

Jon

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 05:50 PM
SENTRI Renewal

The secret to SENTRI renewal - You can renew (or switch to Global Entry) up to a year in advance to your expiration date and the new renewal doesn't start until your old expiration date.......renew early, real early
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 06:31 PM

Just took the wife and kiddos in for their SENTRI yesterday. The guy doing the interview/process suggested we change them from SENTRI to GE... and only extra charge was $14/kid for fingerprinting, not $100.

Credit card charge confirms this.

*shrug*
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 09:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
Just took the wife and kiddos in for their SENTRI yesterday. The guy doing the interview/process suggested we change them from SENTRI to GE... and only extra charge was $14/kid for fingerprinting, not $100.

Credit card charge confirms this.

*shrug*

Interesting. You couldn't have done that by starting them at GE. With GE you pay $100/kid during the application part, not when you go to the interview.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 07:31 PM

Still nothing...................is it taking 4 months for others to RENEW?

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2019 at 05:30 PM

I have a GE app pending. When I first started it, the website said to expect an interview in four to six weeks. Now, it says expect 11 weeks or more due to govt shutdown which delayed apps. It also mentioned limited places to get the necessary interview. I started the process in April, and there was no mention of a delay due to shutdown, but now there is. Pues, quien sabe?
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 6-30-2019 at 05:41 PM

this may have already been posted....from CBP page. (end of may)

The extended partial government shutdown has resulted in a substantial backlog of CBP's Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) applications and renewals.

Applicants for Global Entry (GE), SENTRI, NEXUS and FAST should expect significant delays in application processing times and limited appointment availability at TTP enrollment centers.
solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2019 at 08:15 PM

it could be that the "Hamberders" are overwhelming them
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-30-2019 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by solosancarlos  
it could be that the "Hamberders" are overwhelming them

Its due to all the covfefe

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.