Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Got popped by a stingray
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 01:00 PM
Got popped by a stingray

Got a little pop today from a stingray. Doing the hot water/benadryl everything else treatment. How can I tell if the stinger is still in there? I don't see anything but not sure what to look for. Any ideas from experience, Nomads?

First time for everyhing.

Thanks!
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 01:09 PM

Ouch! You would see it if there was still something in there....

I once tended an Ex-Marine boyfriend who got nailed by a stingray, as well as my Chocolate Lab Chazz….my dog took it in stride.....the Ex-Marine, not so much! The hot water (as hot as you can stand it!) is the ticket.

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 01:10 PM

The 'stinger' doesn't come off, however some very bad bacteria does. I recommend going to an urgent care center and having it cleaned, and a round of antibiotics just in case. This from the doctor (and nurse wife) at the Army base in San Lucas Cove. Lots of rays, lots of pops. Good luck.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 01:23 PM

I've gotten sliced on the top of my foot twice, just a small cut but it was very painful for about an hour. I boiled some water and applied it as hot as I could stand with a washcloth for a while. Then disinfected the cut with hydrogen peroxide, applied a triple antibiotic ointment and a bandaid. No problems except for the hours worth of exquisite pain. Those things really hurt.

If you have a puncture wound, go to a clinic to get it professionally cleaned out.

[Edited on 5-27-2019 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 01:33 PM

Thanks everyone. Been soaking for an hour. Feels ok when it's in the water. Using Benadryl spray, lidocaine spray, 400mg advils, i have some Z-Pack squirrled away so I might just go ahead a start it. I'm probably 3 hours away from anything like an urgent care clinic and 6 hours from one I'd want to go to... so going to try the self care route for now. Just was scared there might still be a stinger in there. Doesn't look like there anything there and I think he let me off light. A little love tap. Felt like someone hit my foot with a hammer.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 02:00 PM

bummer man...reminds me of a son...It makes a grown man cry...yiyi

sounds like you got this...it's like driving on the highway...it's not if you will hit a cow or not...it's a matter of when. Did the cow thing but never hit by a stingray...yet.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

sounds like you got this...it's like driving on the highway...it's not if you will hit a cow or not...it's a matter of when. Did the cow thing but never hit by a stingray...yet.

Shari! Don't say that! I'm driving tomorrow!
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 02:21 PM

I have three 500mg Azithromycin. I wonder if I should just front load now and start the 3 day cycle? I know there's a growing movement against the overuse of antibiotics but now that it's me, I'm whistling a different tune...
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 03:22 PM

If memory serves me right (which it fails more often now) it was ZPAC the army doc got my buddy on. If you do start the AB cycle be sure to have the proper dose and amount, and don't just take 'some' of it; take it all as per directions.

86 - 45*

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 03:30 PM

Sorry to hear that. Always terrified of them.

[Edited on 5-29-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 04:32 PM

Deagle, you're calling it a "little pop"?

When I got "hit" by mine it was way more than a little pop it was excruciating pain ! ( or is you making a funny ?)

I was at Blacks beach and was over a mile away from my van.
I didn't seek medical treatment just the soak in HOT water.
( thank God it hit my foot and NOT my exposed nether-regions )

I too thought "for sure" that the stinger had broken off as "How could this be hurting THIS Damn bad and not be"????

Well after hours and hours the pain finally subsided and there was never a stinger inside.....

[Edited on 5-27-2019 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Deagle, you're calling it a "little pop"?

When I got "hit" by mine it was way more than a little pop it was excruciating pain ! ( or is you making a funny ?)

I was at Blacks beach and was over a mile away from my van.
I didn't seek medical treatment just the soak in HOT water.
( thank God it hit my foot and NOT my exposed nether-regions )

I too thought "for sure" that the stinger had broken off as "How could this be hurting THIS Damn bad and not be"????

Well after hours and hours the pain finally subsided and there was never a stinger inside.....

[Edited on 5-27-2019 by Paco Facullo]

Haha! Yeah, like a "little pop" a 12 gauge might give. I think I said "little pop" to make myself look/ feel tough. It hurt pretty badly, actually. He got in there decently but I just checked out my booties and he took a chunk off of those so it could have been A LOT worse. I think they took a lot of the hit. Got me just in front of the ankle, sorta on the top of the foot. Pain is gone but it's swelling nicely.

Edit- Paco, I cannot imagine walking a mile on that foot. I don't know how you did that. My wife pretty much rescued me. Rushed me back to the house and got me in the shower while she made pots of hot water. Then she went back and got the boards where we tossed them on the playa. She's MVP today.

[Edited on 5-27-2019 by Beagle]

Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
If memory serves me right (which it fails more often now) it was ZPAC the army doc got my buddy on. If you do start the AB cycle be sure to have the proper dose and amount, and don't just take 'some' of it; take it all as per directions.

Ok good to know, Buddha. Thanks. That's what I have. I have three 500mg tabs. Can't find the dosing schedule on stingray punctures though. :?:

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 04:57 PM

Personally I wouldn't take the anti-bionics as it sounds like your hit wasn't "that " bad or deep. But I believe that there is only Bad, really Bad and OH SHEET !!!

Mine got my foot raw , deep and on the lower arch side of my foot.
It be tender thar !!!!

It has been said that a stingray hit can make a grown man cry. Well, I didn't cry but I can see (feel) why there is that saying !

[Edited on 5-28-2019 by Paco Facullo]

[Edited on 5-28-2019 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 05:01 PM

Just rub some dirt on it, you'll be fine. No antibiotics.

John
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 05:22 PM

Hope you feel all better soon.

Last December 17th my wife got hit on the bottom of her foot right in the arch. She has been an ocean swimmer for 35+ years and it was her first time. Did the soak in HOT water for 45 minutes then to Scripps emergency room where they soaked her foot in water for 45 minutes. Dr examined the wound gave wife tetanus booster, bandaged the foot and sent her home. Wound healed after week or so but still some discomfort. Right after new years she started to get a rash on her foot. It got worse until finally wife says lets go to her regular Dr where she said go downstairs to foot Dr. Her podiatrist looked at it and sent her to Dermatologist who prescribed some cream. 7-10 days no improvement plus discomfort while walking increases. Back to podiatrist who does an MRI and finds 'debris' in foot and says you need to get this out ASAP and you will have foot elevated for two weeks and walking boot for 2-3 weeks more. Wife says but 'we have tix to Elton John next week'. Dr says 'hey so do I, let's schedule the operation for the day after'. He cut open the foot and found two separate small pieces of what he believed to be stinger. Wife wanted to take it home but they don't do that anymore. She was finally able to wear shoes and walk normally end of February. If only first Dr had taken a bit more time but...........

The main reason we went to the ER in the first place was at the strong encouragement from my wife's brother fishing fool / marine biologist who has been hit 5x by stingray. He had various levels of pain and severity but the last time it was right on the top of his foot and in less then 12 hours his foot was swollen and turned out he had stinger broke off in the bone.

I have been playing on the beach and in the ocean (don't believe me ask my skin doctor :fire:) since I was old enough to walk and keep my head above water. I know as Shari says that it is when, not if for me someday. Until then - Viva Stingray Shuffle! And wear your damn sunscreen like your mother told you! :dudette: :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 05:26 PM

So sorry that Barb had to go through all that!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
Quote: Originally posted by shari  

Shari! Don't say that! I'm driving tomorrow!

I saw an insurance study that found only about 5% of drivers have fast enough reflexes to avoid animal or sudden obstacles appearing so if you have had the experience of plowing into some of these objects that jump out at you then are among the majority.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 07:51 PM

Nay-Sayers of antibiotics, there's a time and a place for everything, and this is BOTH. The 'stinger' on a ray has a plethora of nasty germs, poisons, and toxins. If you don't believe in meds, don't take 'em. For rational people, get help and get on a regimen quickly. I've heard more horror stories than i'd care to count about infection and long-term damage.

Don't take pills, don't wear your seat belt, and don't vaccinate, Just check out on your own, please.

Beagle, the ZPAC is I believe a 6 (or 7?) pill package; you take two as a starting booster dose, then (I believe) 5 or 6 more, one every 24 hours until gone. If you're unsure of what you have, go to a local pharmacist and ASK. They're all OTC in Mexico, and those guys usually know more than doctors do in some cases.

86 - 45*

Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2019 at 08:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Nay-Sayers of antibiotics, there's a time and a place for everything, and this is BOTH. The 'stinger' on a ray has a plethora of nasty germs, poisons, and toxins. If you don't believe in meds, don't take 'em. For rational people, get help and get on a regimen quickly. I've heard more horror stories than i'd care to count about infection and long-term damage.

Don't take pills, don't wear your seat belt, and don't vaccinate, Just check out on your own, please.

Beagle, the ZPAC is I believe a 6 (or 7?) pill package; you take two as a starting booster dose, then (I believe) 5 or 6 more, one every 24 hours until gone. If you're unsure of what you have, go to a local pharmacist and ASK. They're all OTC in Mexico, and those guys usually know more than doctors do in some cases.

Buddha. I've had the regiment you're talking about for Chest infections etc...Those I believe are the 250mg ones. These are 500mg and there's 3 of them total in a pack. A travel clinic gave them to be before a trip to Java last year.Been holding them for a rainy day. I took one today so that would be the same as two 250's. Maybe I will split them up over the next few days so I'm taking 250mg a day....

Edit- About 8 hours later and very little pain. However, foot is all swold up and it's like walking with a sprained ankle. I might look for crutches in a segunda!

[Edited on 5-28-2019 by Beagle]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.