Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cheapest wireless plan
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2019 at 02:27 PM
Cheapest wireless plan

For some reason my boss can not call my phone which is thru Telcel. I want to get a second phone with an American number just for work. Cheapest plan that can call and receive in Mexico and preferably the most basic phone as well. Ideas?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-29-2019 at 03:00 PM

Sprint isn't cheap but seems to work well as far as El Rosario.
It is a US phone. I can call both ways, both sides. And data. A little slow but ok.
So unless the bill scares me I am using it as my only phone.

But interested to learn more.:coolup:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-29-2019 at 03:10 PM

I use verizon travel pass. Its $5/day, you are only charged the days you use telephone, so i usually use wifi for whatsapp and texting, just turn on phone signal occasionally when i am driving (most days i am off grid so dont need or want phone).

Tell your boss you will check email twice per day, and he needs to take a chill pill if he wants instant gratification.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajabrant
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2019 at 03:32 PM

the boss may be leaving out the extra 1 that needs to be dialed when calling a mx cell ph---google how to call mx cell ph from usa
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2019 at 03:42 PM

I`ve seen it where a call won`t get through but a text will.
Where are you trying in Baja?

[Edited on 5-29-2019 by BornFisher]

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2019 at 04:34 PM

I had tmobile in the past but you have to use more than 50 percent of the usage in the US, and i definitely use about 90 percent in baja. Im sure it's something simple and easy like a "1", but yeah, for some people calls work but not text, for others text works and calling doesn't. And of course the US is the only country in the world not using WhatsApp so that's out too. Right now my telcel plan is approximately 25 dollars for 33 days for 10 gigabytes with unlimited call and text. And between groups in school and being on call for work, a super basic small amount of minutes plan would be fine. Verizon had prepaid in the past for 12 dollars a month, but with no mexico included. I was thinking some walmart brand or something? Figured I'd ask here before heading north of the border to avoid the plague that is a walmart visit in the US.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2019 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Tell your boss you will check email twice per day, and he needs to take a chill pill if he wants instant gratification.

And he is the boss. He can want and ask whatever he wants as long as he signs my paycheck.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2019 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

And he is the boss. He can want and ask whatever he wants as long as he signs my paycheck.

Goat wonders why he's chronically unemployed.

John
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2019 at 05:30 PM

I use T-Mobile and so far they have sent me one letter about using too much data as I had updates turn on. I turned them off and things have been fine. When I am in the states, my phone does all its updates on LTE. That way I use lots of data in the US.

The best deals on a cheap cell phone plans that I know about are as follows:

MetroPCS
Metro PCs offers a roaming solution for Mexico called the Mexico/Canada Unlimited. The plan is $5 per month and offers highspeed data but caps it at 5GB per month.

Boost Mobile
Boost Mobile has a roaming option for Mexico called the Todo Mexico Plus. The plan is $5 in addition to your regular plan per month. It allows unlimited free calls and texts and highspeed data capped at 8GB.

Track Phone does not work in Mexico.

[Edited on 5-30-2019 by wiltonh]
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2019 at 11:57 AM

Tello operates on the Sprint network.
Calls to Mexico are included in the plan, however I don’t know about calling from Mexico.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2019 at 04:55 PM

Nobody has issues calling my Telcel phone from the US
Likewise I can call anywhere in the US and Canada with the same phone.
Cost is low 150 pesos for 28 days with no data limit and no talk limits. Telcel allows automatic CC billing so you never run out of pesos in your phone.
Any Telcel phone will work or bring your own with an unlocked ATT sim card. Remove the ATT sim card and buy the Telcel Sim card and put it in your phone.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2019 at 08:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Nobody has issues calling my Telcel phone from the US
Likewise I can call anywhere in the US and Canada with the same phone.
Cost is low 150 pesos for 28 days with no data limit and no talk limits. Telcel allows automatic CC billing so you never run out of pesos in your phone.
Any Telcel phone will work or bring your own with an unlocked ATT sim card. Remove the ATT sim card and buy the Telcel Sim card and put it in your phone.

On a side note, what plan is that? I have not heard of a plan that cheap with data.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 07:10 AM

That plan last year went from 100 to 150 - inflation.
It is called Amigo Sin Limite. When you get your Telcel sim card have the counter person explain the cheap plans. Accept the counter person guidance.
We are using the plan most locals use.
You get to choose how many days as low as 1 to much longer.
BTW, you should make test calls from your USA friends to confirm they dial correctly. Same for you calling north.

[Edited on 5-31-2019 by PaulW]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 07:28 AM

Yup, Times change. That is why I said to discuss with the counter person. Probably need to do on a regular basis. The 100 to 150 is the best example. No notice until you renew.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 08:09 AM

Here's the Amigo Sin Limite plan details on the website. It's a great deal. I was surprised the voice and text work in the US on T-Mobile -https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/paquetes-end/mb-para-tu-amigo

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 10:47 AM

I was going to say, I have the amigo sin limite plan for 500 pesos for 5 gigabytes but the first 12 months is double data so it’s 500 pesos for 10 gigabytes
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  
Here's the Amigo Sin Limite plan details on the website.
Where it clearly states that the $150 plan includes 1.5 gigabytes of data, which is not much.

Only the social networks are unlimited.

True. It's less than $8 for almost a month of service. So I still think it's a great deal. I just connect to free wifi which seems to be everywhere when I need to use more data. My wife has a Verizon unlimmited plan and gets 500mb per day included. It costs just a little more than $8.;D

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 04:25 PM

I looked up that tello company and emailed them and they said you are able to receive calls in mexico. So I think I might try that. No data, 100 minutes a month, 5 dollars a month
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 05:11 PM

I switched to Tello three weeks ago however I’m in Florida and won’t have a chance to try my phone in Mexico for a bit.

I brought my own phone, put in their card then had to call customer service to port my old number over. Customer service was great, took half a day to port my number. Had I used the one they assigned no call was necessary.

So far data speeds are much faster than verizon and call quality has been fine.
Hope it works well for you in Mexico.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  
Here's the Amigo Sin Limite plan details on the website.
Where it clearly states that the $150 plan includes 1.5 gigabytes of data, which is not much.

Only the social networks are unlimited.

I see 1 gigabyte, not 1.5, but this is not much anyway. Not much for browsing, though should be plenty for email.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.