Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Property tax
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2019 at 08:12 PM
Property tax

In googling property tax, it say tax is based on value assessment of property. If I were to put a trailer or shipping container on a slab would that be included in the assessment, or only permanent improvements?
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 06:39 AM

in my case...the property tax, beyond the actual prerecorded lot value, was based on the building permit being turned in after work was completed, and the new value "manifested", or recorded and entered for taxation. I doubt a permit is required for a slab.....though environmental permit is required for developing a lot and removing plants, altering terrain.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 07:35 AM

Tax is base on the value of the land. Improvements such as a home or trailer should have no impact. Value of the land is computed based on amenities and infrastructure such as roads, etc. Sometimes those details change and the tax will change.
Most municipalities still require building permits, however lax or strict.
Like they say - your experience will be different. Discuss with your neighbor to see what is going on.

[Edited on 5-31-2019 by PaulW]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-31-2019 at 08:19 AM

Check with the municipality Catastro office, they will have the correct information for your exact location........and yes, get building permits
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 07:21 AM

I agree with Lencho, my property tax was 220 pesos last year and that is a lot with a house built on it.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 08:33 AM

In the Ensenada municipality a lot is taxed at a higher rate than a property with a residence built on it. Also there is a substantial discount if paid in the month of January, with lesser discounts in February and March. If you possess a DIF Senior card there is a further reduction of taxes

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I agree with Lencho, my property tax was 220 pesos last year and that is a lot with a house built on it.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 10:02 AM

Oh boy! Last year I had a tax increase on my lot, no improvements. Went from approx $1200 pesos to over $17,000. After some negotiations we were able to get it back down quite a bit. Having an unimproved lot is more costly here than having started some. However getting approval for and getting the building permit can be trying. Worst of all is getting thru an environmental study so you can start your project. I know, some have sailed thru all the prerequisites but I haven't been so lucky. Good luck and smooth sailing.

[Edited on 6-1-2019 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 12:59 PM

Oh boy! Last year I had a tax increase on my lot, no improvements. Went from approx $1200 pesos to over $17,000.

Is this correct or do you mean 1700 pesos?

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 02:46 PM

It's correct. Had to hire someone to make it right. Unfortunately there is a new government and I wonder if the fix that was suppose to be for life will make it thru the change over. My man that helps with these things hasn't informed me yet....

greta-inbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 03:01 PM

Like everything there isn’t any rhyme nor reason for some things here. My unimproved lot, 30 miles down a dirt road, no power or water, taxes were 830p. Built a half house, taxes increased to 7400p, build the second story, taxes increased to 67,411p! Apparently the municipality did this to motivate people to manifest their house. Our house was not quite finished when this happened. Though it worked, we hired someone to manifest the house, finish paperwork and try and get the taxes lowered. Got them lowered to 11,741p. That was withour the discount if we had paid early. Never could get the website to work this yr so they didn’t get paid until late April. Only got a 5% discount. Point being, they taxed intially on assessed land value. But then when we built they started using google earth to scout things out, hence a mistake in sq footage. WE had to prove that we what they though was covered living space was actually part of the foundation built into a hillside. Our house is not small, but there are beach front very large homes paying a fraction of what we pay. Like everything,,,, no rhyme nor reason. OH and Russ... this is the 2nd yr since the fix and our taxes did not go up. We are on the coastal road south of Cabo Pulmo . Only services we get is a road grading 2-3x/yr. When they raised our taxes to 67,000+, this happened to many people, gringos and Mexicans. It was painful.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 03:02 PM

Very interesting.
Thanks.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 09:55 PM

Ok so anywhere from 220 pesos to 67,000 pesos. Yep sounds like Mexico. So just consult the local office then?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 10:27 PM

Catastro "should" have the tax info for your property, Usually located in the Municipality (county) government building

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
Ok so anywhere from 220 pesos to 67,000 pesos. Yep sounds like Mexico. So just consult the local office then?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 05:25 AM

Luke, Oh damn! I thought I had it bad. Your property should still designated farm if you're out that far so your taxes should be really low. I think you could /should be able to get them back down to the original amount with the right helper. I'm really shocked at your situation. Good luck!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.