Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Forbes Magazine article on the La Paz area
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Don't think the author has been to La Paz. ''Tiny beach town'' is a give away. As in, anyone who's ever been to LP would never call it a tiny or a beach town.

Exactly.

Making America Great Again
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 08:44 AM

It's just a fluff written piece to promote the La Paz, area, for Forbes readers who are probably older, and have above average incomes, but are behind the times, if they are still getting their financial and travel information from magazines instead of the internet in real time.

The writer Breanna Wilson, is a travel writer and has been all over the world, where she writes about her experiences, and so she probably has not been to La Paz more than a weekend, but she is an experienced traveler.

I would not get into the differences between travelers and tourists, because it just invites snobbery of a Forbes reader, and I doubt the average "Baja Nomad" member, fits the definition of a traveler, as some claim here.

Here are some definitions below and there are many different definitions

7 Differences: A Tourist vs. A Traveler

https://www.thecitysidewalks.com/blog/touristvstraveler

It says a traveler, doesn't like to stand out, but blends in, and likes to engage with the local natives, and doesn't do the tourists things.

What I read here, is many so-called travelers of "Baja Nomad" want to join caravans, and travel among gringos only, and fear Mexicans, and there is a lot of Mexico, and Mexican negative stereotyping, fear mongering, and agreeing with Trump, about Mexico/Mexicans.

If you ask me, I rather be a tourists, and stay at a nice resort, then do some of the things, so-called travelers, do on "Baja Nomad, like stay a one star hotels, like Mike's Sky Ranch, dive bars like "Coco's Corner, and eating at one star restaurants like “Mama Espinoza's."

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 09:00 AM
Consider the Source(s)

ANYONE who would consider "tourism" advice from Joe, the Goat or the like deserves the consequences.

What comes out of an Anus is Feces.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I don't think of La Paz as a "tiny Beach town" at all.
Actually for me La Paz does have a small town feel. Yes I have been there off and on for about 12 years but it has gotten fairly rare for me not to run into someone I know whenever I drive around town.

In Memory of E-57
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
I don't think of La Paz as a "tiny Beach town" at all.
Actually for me La Paz does have a small town feel. Yes I have been there off and on for about 12 years but it has gotten fairly rare for me not to run into someone I know whenever I drive around town.

Oh, no question it is a "nice" city to visit. I enjoyed my last two visits a lot. Several days at the home of Baja Tripper in 2012 and a few days at 4x4abc's home in 2017. Most of those days were out exploring, and not in the city, but the time eating and walking a bit in the city was nice.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Well, I would say there is a difference between a traveler and a tourist. I think we Nomads are travelers.

Traveler and tourist are same thing in this use of the word. If you call yourself a traveler, you are just a delusional tourist.

bingo. i'm really bored with people who insist on the distinction.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 09:58 AM

MrBillM nailed this one..;)
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
ANYONE who would consider "tourism" advice from Joe, the Goat or the like deserves the consequences.

What comes out of an Anus is Feces.

I don't think either the Goat or myself were giving travel advice, although I did state a personal preference comparison.

If you want travel advice I will give you travel advice. Next time you take an airplane to a coastal region of Mexico, buy the travel insurance. It's the start of hurricane season and airlines are delaying flights more than ever. So it's a good chance you could pick up quick cash if they delay your flight more than a few hours depending on your policy.

Now if you go on one of those caravan trips to Baja, then I have no advice for you, but I have a feeling you don't like people and the last place we would find you would be in a caravan of travelers who want to travel with their own kind and feel safer in large numbers.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 10:15 AM

Joe... while I like your reply which enforces my answer to Devil Goat, that you call Coco's Corner a "bar" (dive or otherwise) says you have never been or have looked carefully at the many photos taken there.

Coco's Corner is more of a roadside rest stop/ curiosity spot where you can exchange road information, see his vast collection of (mostly ladies) underwear (a gag attraction), and sign his guest book. He sells beer and tee shirts for income. It is no dive bar in any sense. He is harmless.

John M sent me a photo of his wife cutting Coco's hair many years ago and I put it in a little webpage I made for the location, 18 years ago roughly: http://www.vivabaja.com/coco/

In 2005: http://vivabaja.com/105/page8.html

In 2006, right after the Baja 1000 passed through: http://vivabaja.com/1106/page9.html

After that trip, Coco's other leg was removed...

In 2012: http://vivabaja.com/712/

In 2017:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 10:21 AM

Tourism is high on the list of moneymaking for communities
why isn't there travelism if those 2 are distinctly different?
Or the hip overlandism?
catering to the non-tourists could increase the moneymaking

Harald Pietschmann
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 10:26 AM

Only similarities in Cancun, Tulum and Baja is they're MX towns.
Paul posted an article recently with a similar title: Tulum vs. Todos.

Last article written by this author for Forbes says it all:

The Beach Babes Want List: 12 Things You Need For Your Summer Travels

https://www.forbes.com/sites/breannawilson/2019/05/07/the-be...

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 10:27 AM

Tourists are a subset of travelers. That is, all tourists are traveling but not all travelers are touring. For example, many people travel for business, they are travelers, not tourists.

[Edited on 6-2-2019 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 10:34 AM

David, I have never been to Coco's but believe me when I say I have a good idea the kind of place it is, and I saw enough photos to make me disgusted at place.

I also have no respect for any middle aged women who would walk into that place take off her panties give it to Coco to whiff before he adds it his collection. ( there are better places to visit to see young ladies taking off their panties for real in baja)

I also believe Coco doesn't love you all, and probably puts sharp objects on the road so travelers get flat tires and are forced to stop by and listen to his hard luck stories, so that suckers could feel sorry for him and give him money.

[Edited on 6-2-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 12:50 PM

Sure, we can all form opinions by what we read. If you read only junk, then you will have a junk opinion.

Going there, seeing for yourself, and not just once but multiple times gives you much better evidence for an educated opinion. No woman takes her panties off in Coco's presence. Most people travel with extra underwear or in Coco's case, they are brought to him specifically for his display.

I pass by Coco's more often than I stop... it isn't my cup of tea. Pancho was a class act and there it was a classy place to visit. Night and day difference between Coco and Pancho.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 01:17 PM

Sure, we can all form opinions by what we read. If you read only junk, then you will have a junk opinion.

Going there, seeing for yourself, and not just once but multiple times gives you much better evidence for an educated opinion. No woman takes her panties off in Coco's presence. Most people travel with extra underwear or in Coco's case, they are brought to him specifically for his display.

I pass by Coco's more often than I stop... it isn't my cup of tea. Pancho was a class act and there it was a classy place to visit. Night and day difference between Coco and Pancho.

I don't have to visit a place to know it's disgusting, and a kind of place where I won't hang out.

I didn't say Coco's corner, is a strip club either. I know women, go in with fresh panties from their purse and give it to Coco, but I have also been to the real raunchy bars in Tijuana, other places in Baja and Mexico.

And from time to time, you have gringas, go into those bars, encouraged by their husbands, boyfriends, or themselves believing they're still hot, when they are actually aging and are not anywhere close to hot, like their husbands or boyfriends tell them. They then get up on the stage drunk and dance. It's really embarrassing to witness!

Are you going to tell me David K. that no women, probably a gringa woman who has been drinking, and never removed their soiled panties from under a dress, or the bathroom, and then gave Coco's her panties?

David K. would your wife give Coco, a pair of fresh panties from her purse or wherever?

There is enough information on the internet about Coco's corner, that I could go through life without ever visiting the dump.

I'm also Mexican-American, and know Mexican culture, and spend a lot of time in Mexico, and if you ask me, Coco's behavior is a niche behavior of a friendly scam artist, who sizes up who goes into his place, and tells them a story based on his perception on the visitors personality, so he can scam them with one of his stories.

[Edited on 6-2-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 02:53 PM

No Joe, she would not. Different people do different things to amuse themselves.
A quick visit with Coco is for amusement or interest. The panties on display may have come from Mexican, French, or German ladies as well.
My getting into this was more about education... that Coco's Corner was not a bar. The Miramar and Rockadile, in San Felipe, Mike's Sky Rancho cantina, and Hussong's Cantina are bars.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 04:22 PM

I love Coco
love his life story and location
great artist of life
he is a dear friend of mine
I started the first fund raiser to buy a truck for him 30 years ago

he is a very caring person
back then he was a very poor man
much poorer than now
gas for his truck was very valuable
that did not keep him from driving his cat Susi, when she was in heat, to the only male cat around at Las Arrastras
I know few who would sacrifice that much

but he is also a dirty old man
he loves the smell of worn panties
and heck - why not

we have (respected by many) politicians that are dirtier than Coco
not to excuse him, but to put things into perspective

Harald Pietschmann
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 09:38 AM

Its funny to hear people's perceptions of things and realize how far from reality that reports on the internet can make things. Coco's Corner could not be considered a dive bar in any sense of the term. It is really nothing more than a waypoint on a map or at best, a brief rest stop. Coco is just one of those icons for long time drivers of the peninsula. Really not much different than San Felipe's Clam Man, El Rosario's Mama Espinosa, Catavinas' Gotta Peso, La Paz's Rainbow Hawk or for that matter, even the Laguna Greeter.

It is rather sad to hear declarations that Coco is nothing more than a common scam artist. In reality he is known to people from all over the world and I would hazard to say not one of them would ever claim they had been scammed by him. In fact, given his location and the many years he has been there it is amazing to all that he has been able to eek out an existence at all. Prior to the extension of Hwy 5 his only visitors were race crews and hardcore adventurers. If one stops and considers the life he has lead and the challenges he has faced, one can't help but be impressed and even feel a little better for having the chance to meet him.

In Memory of E-57
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 10:04 AM

take him or leave him.....whats he got to do with an article about LaPaz?
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Its funny to hear people's perceptions of things and realize how far from reality that reports on the internet can make things. Coco's Corner could not be considered a dive bar in any sense of the term. It is really nothing more than a waypoint on a map or at best, a brief rest stop. Coco is just one of those icons for long time drivers of the peninsula. Really not much different than San Felipe's Clam Man, El Rosario's Mama Espinosa, Catavinas' Gotta Peso, La Paz's Rainbow Hawk or for that matter, even the Laguna Greeter.

It is rather sad to hear declarations that Coco is nothing more than a common scam artist. In reality he is known to people from all over the world and I would hazard to say not one of them would ever claim they had been scammed by him. In fact, given his location and the many years he has been there it is amazing to all that he has been able to eek out an existence at all. Prior to the extension of Hwy 5 his only visitors were race crews and hardcore adventurers. If one stops and considers the life he has lead and the challenges he has faced, one can't help but be impressed and even feel a little better for having the chance to meet him.

From what I hear " Coco's Corner" reminds me of an old Chevy Chase, movie called "Nothing but trouble" where Coco, is like that crazy Judge in the movie. Let me guess, Coco, is loud, brash, funny, friendly, and insulting at the same time? He can also be disgusting with those panty smelling ways, but you love him anyway.

From the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_r-fur3Zr0

The question to ask is why is Coco, always hinting of monetary problems, and why are so many foreigners willing to help out this old handicapped scammer who is handicapped but seems to get around just fine? ( just on this site alone I have read many Coco, hard luck stories)

Coco, is nothing special to me and his type are a dime a dozen, all over poor countries, and Coco, is the male version of females mostly quasi prostitutes that always has a hard luck story of their mother, daughter, or themselves needing an operation, and they need money quickly for the life saving operation, which many suckers willingly give, because it makes them feel good. Meanwhile, this same scam is played with many suckers at the same time.

If you like Coco, and he provides a little hospitality in his dump in the middle of nowhere, go ahead and throw him a few dollars for his hospitality, but don't contribute to a new truck, wheelchair, or another expensive item, because chances are he is playing you, and the more money he gets from you, the less he will respect you. You may think you're friends with him, but more than likely he doesn't view you as a friend, as he does a chump.

You can all do what you want at Coco's.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.