Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Looking for info on El Dorado Ranch - San Felipe
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 01:40 PM
Looking for info on El Dorado Ranch - San Felipe

Hola
Looking for some info on San Felipe area El Dorado Ranch. Have never been there, only driven through San Felipe

Family with 2 little kids, may go with another family with same situation.
Have traveled Baja quite a bit but not much in the San Felipe area.

Beach Front would be best, are any available to rent for the weekend (4nights)?
Safe good area for us?
Maybe compare to Gaviotas or Loreto Bay???

Thx
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 01:50 PM

I rented a house for 3 adults and 2 teenagers. The house was set up with 2 masters and a 3rd bedroom with twin beds. Accommodated us well.
There were problems. I picked that house because it had a garage. The garage door did not open. It was bolted shut. There was a tv program finale in Spanish that was important for some to see. Tv did not work. Took a lot of time to get them to get it going. NO hot water so showers were tough.
It was a bit beat up but comfortable. At first glance a really nice looking house. A Very quiet area and 3 ac/heater units that worked well.

sbwontoo
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 04:55 PM

We rented a Condo that was Beachfront on VRBO. Our host, Cesar Quirarte was very responsive to any of our needs. The view from the Condo was fantastic, beds were comfy and we had a great time while visiting EDR and San Felipe. You can find Cesar Quararte on Facebook or VRBO. We did not eat at any of the restaurants in EDR, as they were closed but we did enjoy our food at the other many places we visited. On the Maleco, we ate at Mariscos, Beans and Rice and Baja Mar, prices were great compared to what we pay in the states. There are lots of other Taco Stands and places to eat, you might do a search here on BN as there are a lot of experts that post here. :biggrin: The pool areas at EDR were easily accessible and everybody that we met
there was friendly and helpful. JH

aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 06:39 PM

If you are taking a UTV (razor, etc) or any off-road "toy", you are NOT allowed to take it into the beach side rentals at EDR. You have to pay a per-night storage fee to park it in a fenced in area on the west side of the highway (which supposedly has 24 hour security).

Certain renters would be tearing around at all hours, so the new policy was enacted.

If you stay on the "mountain side" at EDR (the west side of the highway), there's lots of nice places there too... and you can take your UTV or whatever with you... but you won't be in such close proximity to the beach. You WILL be in closer proximity to the nice pool though.

While the condos on the beach side are nice, I'm not going to stay there any more due to the dumb UTV rule. There's a LEGITIMATE concern about people making noise late at night, but there were plenty of better ways to address the problem.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 07:03 PM

I stay at EDR quite a bit, as I have friends that have a house there and we start a lot of our off road trips out of there. It is super safe for families and their security is pretty solid from what I hear. Just make sure you get access to the swimming pool in the hot months!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 06:56 AM

Another consideration would be about 15 miles south of San Felipe at Rancho Percebu. Franco has several units on beach for rent.
Here is his number if any interest.
Baja Rentals.
US: 619-992-2569
Baja: 011 52 1-686-211-7053
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TLBaja79  
Hola
Looking for some info on San Felipe area El Dorado Ranch. Have never been there, only driven through San Felipe

Family with 2 little kids, may go with another family with same situation.
Have traveled Baja quite a bit but not much in the San Felipe area.

Beach Front would be best, are any available to rent for the weekend (4nights)?
Safe good area for us?
Maybe compare to Gaviotas or Loreto Bay???

Thx

San Felipe is the armpit of baja. Just about any place in baja is better. The beaches are ugly, flat; the water is usually murky. It’s an ugly town. There is no surf.

Summer is just starting, so San Felipe is an oven from now to end of sept,... this time of year, avoid the SOC side of the peninsula, and go to the mountains or pacific side.

If looking for places close to border, there are a bunch of nice vrbo/airbnb places on punta Banda (Ensenada), just south of la bufadora.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 10:54 AM

Ditto on San Felipe being the armpit of Baja
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 07:01 PM

X3 on the armpit...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 07:20 AM

wow. Thought JZ was the only one hating on San Felipe. I always found it to be a fun little place with plenty of cheap hotels, nice places to eat and a couple good beaches. What about it don't you like?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 09:02 AM
Growth is UGLY !

ALWAYS !

Whether it's L.A. or San Felipe.

First arriving in SF in 1966, I have great memories of hundreds of days spent there. I find it nowadays disappointing, but not surprising. Those who "Hate" it would appear to have unrealistic expectations regarding what decades of haphazard and unrestricted growth looks like in the third-world .
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 09:37 AM

Do not listen to X3 naysayers in regards to SF . It is a really nice little fishing village. I have lived outside of town (EDR) for over 22 years. There is a lot of nice places to stay both hotels, homes , condos & RV parking. There are many places bot good & bad everywhere. There are also nice beaches but like people there are some good & some not good.
Many many people have chose to retire in SF & will continue to do so. Many many really nice & friendly people who do not constantly sit around bad mouthing other people & places as there are many fun places to go & things to do here. As far as EDR is concerned some do not choose to live in the ranch for various reasons ofcourse.BTW_ the new rule about ATV's UtV's etc. is not all about noise at nite. It was brought about by those that having them abusing rules about riding them especially in some locations , like tearing up the golf course and destroying property. The rules on pools was also caused by too much abuse and over crowding.So now there must be more rules! The pools on the Seaside of EDR belong to Pat Butler & the ones on the Mountain side belong to the members/owners of the HOA.
The weather is beautiful but yes it will get hot & humid, but to us that's better than freezing your but off most of the days on the Pacific side of the peninsula. Come see for yourself!
EDR also has a very well maintained security system. Condo on seaside do have rentals & there are very few houses for rent on seaside. There are some very nice places for rent on the mountain side & short term renters on mountain side may use the HOA pools short term renters on seaside use condo pools & Main EDR pools ob that side. No you cannot take your toys into seaside but there is a storage place for them with security and marked trails on the mountain side.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
wow. Thought JZ was the only one hating on San Felipe. I always found it to be a fun little place with plenty of cheap hotels, nice places to eat and a couple good beaches. What about it don't you like?

I'm with you ED, I like San Felipe.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 03:17 PM

San Felipe can be fun - not an armpit. Find out the high/low tide times - low tide can be out 1/4 mi. I'd prefer El Dorado/San Felipe to Gaviotas - more to see south of town, long stretches of several nice beaches, in-town major tourist area, shopping in a concise 4 square blocks or so. Good food, mariachis. If your rental has a BBQ, get shrimp in town.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 03:43 PM

Here is a post from last September if you care to see a few more opinions, and maybe a few facts; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91184&got...

I haven't spent more than a day at a time there, but have overnighted several times on my way south. Highway 5 is my route of choice!

The San Felipe area is not my first choice of destinations, but I don't have anything negative to add. I am sure that if I spent a week exploring the area (low budget with dog) I would find a lot of people, places, and things to like!

I never did get a recommendation for a dentist in the area, and that is still something I am interested in.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 03:52 PM

Well, let's see...San Felipe or Loreto.....Hmmmm...
Guess If I had the time it would be Loreto for me.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 04:43 PM

First time I visited San Flip in the '80's the name, "Little Sandy Eggo" came in to my head, and stuck. Still holds true.

I don't mind the town, but it's a CA bedroom community, more so every year. Like Rosarito, it's for those who pretend to live in Baja, as long as it doesn't interrupt their comfort zone.

More power to ya........ "cada loco con su tema". :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 04:51 PM

These are two very different kinds of places, both are great if that is what you seek.

San Felipe is only a few hours drive from San Diego. It's popular for huge sand beaches, lots of desert, many arroyos to explore, geology, waterfall-fed oasis canyons, lots of vacation homes, and campgrounds, motels, ... the birthplace of the fish taco, and more. Lots of places not in the city to go to. Unlimited camping especially with 4WD.

Loreto is two long day's drive from San Diego. It is a much larger city than San Felipe but has very limited beach areas in comparison. It is big on history (the first California mission is there with a museum). Hotels, restaurants, sportfishing all a big attraction. Side trips west to San Javier, or south to Puerto Escondido or Playa Ligüí are nice. Not many off-road destinations as the sierra is close to the shore.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
These are two very different kinds of places, both are great if that is what you seek.

San Felipe is only a few hours drive from San Diego. It's popular for huge sand beaches, lots of desert, many arroyos to explore, geology, waterfall-fed oasis canyons, lots of vacation homes, and campgrounds, motels, ... the birthplace of the fish taco, and more. Lots of places not in the city to go to. Unlimited camping especially with 4WD.

Loreto is two long day's drive from San Diego. It is a much larger city than San Felipe but has very limited beach areas in comparison. It is big on history (the first California mission is there with a museum). Hotels, restaurants, sportfishing all a big attraction. Side trips west to San Javier, or south to Puerto Escondido or Playa Ligüí are nice. Not many off-road destinations as the sierra is close to the shore.

birthplace of the fish taco? right up there with baseball bats and exploding boilers david!:lol:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-3-2019 at 06:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

San Felipe... the birthplace of the fish taco

Is your tourist guide to baja going to cite the rubio’s menu as a source of culinary history of baja?

Crikey! I hope your forthcoming baja travel guide isn’t full of wrong info like that!

[Edited on 6-4-2019 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.