Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What’s in your camping cooler
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-14-2019 at 05:09 PM

Block-ice frozen "clear" in my home freezer does last much longer than the compressed crushed ice now available, for the given space. I normally expect my ice to last up to 9 days in my ancient Coleman ice-chests, with permanent 2 inch styro-foam panels around all sides, top and bottom of the ice chest. My coolers are built in to my CAllen Camper. Milk and lunch meat etc. and not much else is in my coolers when in Baja which is not often anymore. Just my observations.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2019 at 05:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Great advice!

*Block ice lasts the longest.
*Pre-cool anything that is going into the icebox if possible.
*Keep iceboxes out of the direct sun or cover with wet towels.
*While staying in one place, do not drain the water to retain the ice and cold as long as possible. Only drain if you are going to be driving.

Jeeeez....do we have to copyright our posts so DK doesn't repeat our comments to bolster his hits?????

I don't go with the "drain if off-roading".....cold water retains temp longer than cold air....:light:

The sloshing of the water in the chest while driving really speeds up the melt over a drained chest off roading. Reducing the weight by draining the water can't hurt, either.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2019 at 06:00 PM

I'm beginning to think that draining or not draining does not really make a difference as far as ice longevity is concerned. In other words, take two identical coolers, loaded identically, drain one and not the other, and the ice will melt at the same rate. That's probably why there is so much debate.

One thing for sure, wet food sucks. I'll keep draining my cooler.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2019 at 12:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I'm beginning to think that draining or not draining does not really make a difference as far as ice longevity is concerned. In other words, take two identical coolers, loaded identically, drain one and not the other, and the ice will melt at the same rate. That's probably why there is so much debate.

You don't put your food in the same cooler as your drinks. That's camping 101. Buy a small yeti or the like, and put your food in there. Add just a little bit of ice, plus use zip lock bags.

Jameis, how can you be a veteran Baja traveler and not know the basics of cooler management?

[Edited on 6-15-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2019 at 04:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Block-ice frozen "clear" in my home freezer does last much longer than the compressed crushed ice now available, for the given space. I normally expect my ice to last up to 9 days in my ancient Coleman ice-chests, with permanent 2 inch styro-foam panels around all sides, top and bottom of the ice chest. My coolers are built in to my CAllen Camper. Milk and lunch meat etc. and not much else is in my coolers when in Baja which is not often anymore. Just my observations.

Similarly, I freeze one-gallon containers of store-bought Crystal Geyser water and carry eight of them in a large cooler. Two others go in the food cooler.
The first evening after our arrival at camp I take one of the two out of the food cooler and drain off the melt into our water containers. I then cut the top third of the plastic water gallon jug off and put the remaining unmelted Ice in a towel and hit it to crush it up for margaritas during sunset. After making the drinks I take a fresh one out of the large cooler and replace the one just used.
The bottom two-thirds of the cut-up jug can be used for any idea that crosses your mind while drinking the margaritas...like; wind protected candle holders, sand filled weights, mixing containers for pancakes in the morning, or maybe nail it to a palapa post for you and others to store items in while camping, etc.
The frozen store-bought water keeps ice melt out of your food cooler and ice storage cooler, provides replenishing purified drinking water in a sanitary container, and some clean ice for that evening drink!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-15-2019 at 06:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

You don't put your food in the same cooler as your drinks. That's camping 101. Buy a small yeti or the like, and put your food in there. Add just a little bit of ice, plus use zip lock bags.

Jameis, how can you be a veteran Baja traveler and not know the basics of cooler management?

You are an idiot if you don’t know how to camp using a single cooler for food and drinks. You are just a dumb chit if you take multiple coolers when 1 will do.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2019 at 12:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

You are an idiot if you don’t know how to camp using a single cooler for food and drinks. You are just a dumb chit if you take multiple coolers when 1 will do.

Congrats on all your soggy, wet food floating with your beer. What a rookie.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2022 at 08:09 AM

Block ice does indeed last longer than crushed ice. It also sells for twice as much at the market.

The only time you should drain the water is if it's above freezing. Another words, if you notice that all the ice has melted and you're thinking to add more ice to the water the water is likely above freezing temperature and will melt your new ice immediately, thus giving you less time of ice usage. So that's when the cooler should be drained.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-29-2022 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

MR Donkey goat your the idiot of the year dont be calling people your name. :light: Your camping out in basement means nothing get out enjoy a good dirt bike ride.
BGR

[*] posted on 12-29-2022 at 10:01 PM

You guys getting a wee bit off topic me thinks.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2022 at 02:57 AM

Frozen water bottles. They last longer than loose ice, keep the cooler dry and you can drink the water when they melt. :bounce:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2022 at 10:55 PM

I have two Canyon coolers a 35 qt for just me and a 50 qt if someone rides with me. They both have two baskets for food. I don't drink a lot of beer but I do take a few hurricanes along with orange juice, bloodymary mix, tonic water and reg drinking water. I normally just take stuff for breakfast like boiled eggs and a meat. Ham, sausage or hamburger/sausage mix. Sometimes the small mix fruit bowls. I carry a bag full of can stuff like soup, chili, beef stew and tuna fish with crackers and granola bars. Most of my trips we've had a chef (Phil) that brings and makes dinner. Sometimes Robert who does breakfast and dinner. He tells us what he needs and we get it for him. If we're near a restaurant we'll eat there.

A block of ice in my coolers will last 5-7 days. I pack em full of crushed or cubed ice and if I add more later I'll drain the water.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.