BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Atlantic lobster in baja?
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 11:01 AM
Atlantic lobster in baja?

how about you folks living down in lobsterland, ever come across these? from one of the puerto nuevo restaurants, his dad is a commercial fisherman and has dredged up a few of these in the past few weeks, and yes, we know its not lobster season.....;)

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 11:19 AM

so he caught (dredged) it up in Puerto Nuevo, in Baja?
FWIW, I hate those bottom dredges, way too much by- catch - destructive to the local fishery.

One was caught in California, off the coast of the farallons - in 2013

[Edited on 6-11-2019 by caj13]
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 06:28 PM

Ya , right up there with Gil netting

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 06:48 AM

Happens from time to time here in Socal - Buddhists like to go to stores that have live Atlantic bugs and release them into the sea.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 07:24 AM

I could not find a link to the story, but quite a few years ago I read about a whopper of an Atlantic lobster caught in north Pacific waters! It was thought to be a survivor a failed attempt to establish a commercial harvest.

Since it is a non-native species, I would think that they would be exempt from harvest regulations or restrictions!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I could not find a link to the story, but quite a few years ago I read about a whopper of an Atlantic lobster caught in north Pacific waters! It was thought to be a survivor a failed attempt to establish a commercial harvest.

Since it is a non-native species, I would think that they would be exempt from harvest regulations or restrictions![/rquot

Correct, in California there is no season or restrictions on Maine lobsters. Don't know about baja
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 11:36 AM

these bugs obviously prefer BC over BC! can you blame em?:D

"According to the Canadian Encyclopedia Opens a New Window. , between 1896 and 1966 there were at least 11 large-scale attempts at introducing American lobsters (Atlantic lobsters) into British Columbia and U.S. West Coast waters."

[Edited on 6-12-2019 by del mar]
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
Happens from time to time here in Socal - Buddhists like to go to stores that have live Atlantic bugs and release them into the sea.

Exactly. I watched them not only buy and release fresh Maine lobster from a local supplier in Marina Del Rey but also pay one of the bait receivers to release to full pens of live Sardines.

Making America Great Again
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 11:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
so he caught (dredged) it up in Puerto Nuevo, in Baja?
FWIW, I hate those bottom dredges, way too much by- catch - destructive to the local fishery.

One was caught in California, off the coast of the farallons - in 2013

[Edited on 6-11-2019 by caj13]

I hate the Dredges and Gill netters also. Do some more research, Maine lobster are caught a couple of times each yr during bug season by the PB's. I see them posted on a few local fishing websites. Common? No. But really not that rare either.

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

I hate the Dredges and Gill netters also. Do some more research, Maine lobster are caught a couple of times each yr during bug season by the PB's. I see them posted on a few local fishing websites. Common? No. But really not that rare either.

Great, thanks for the info. can you tell a dumb guy what a PB is? , and can you point me toward a couple of these local fishing websites?
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 02:32 PM

Great, thanks for the info. can you tell a dumb guy what a PB is? , and can you point me toward a couple of these local fishing websites?

I was thinking he meant private boater. :?:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 04:50 PM

This Buddha prefers fillet and release. :yes:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 08:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  

I was thinking he meant private boater. :?:

Yes, private boater.

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 08:11 AM

Exactly. I watched them not only buy and release fresh Maine lobster from a local supplier in Marina Del Rey but also pay one of the bait receivers to release to full pens of live Sardines.

Yep!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 04:53 PM

I heard a story about how a long time ago some entrepreneur bought a whack of Maine lobsters live and released them on this coast somewhere....but they forgot to take the pins out of their claws and they all starved to death....no me consta....that's just what I heard.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 11:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I heard a story about how a long time ago some entrepreneur bought a whack of Maine lobsters live and released them on this coast somewhere....but they forgot to take the pins out of their claws and they all starved to death....no me consta....that's just what I heard.

Shari, I'm hoping you could do me a favor and ask around town if any of the lobstermen have ever caught an atlantic lobster? I'm trying to determine how far down the coast these things have been found, and it seems to me the co-op fishermen in Bahia Asuncion, and La Bocana are probably 2 really good groups to ask!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-14-2019 at 12:09 PM

okey dokey Caj...never heard of it but will ask around.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2019 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
okey dokey Caj...never heard of it but will ask around.

I've never heard of them that far South either Shari, not even Sandy Eggo, just Long Beach for me.

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2019 at 11:28 AM

A little off track but since we're talking about Bugs, not really. My buddy sent me this morning. Caught in Cape Cod last week. Supposedly one in two million.

RareBlueLobster61419-625x352.jpg - 46kB

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.