Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Ranchito for sale in Bahia Asuncion
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 02:59 PM

Thanks Shari...

I hope you don't need to run that pipe very far, as 3/4" is very limited on volume or keeping pressure for long runs? Don't want you to spend money if it won't work! You can send me details such as the pressure at the point of connection, how long a run it is; does the elevation go up or down (by how many verticle feet)... ?? I can plug that info into some formulas I have in my irrigation design book and tell you what the pressure will be at the end of the run if any.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 04:42 PM

Shari,
Thanks for the pics....

DK has signed up as plumber-from-afar.... and his offer makes sense.... :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 05:17 PM

Sheri,

Please do what David said as it is extremely important. Otherwise you might end up with results that end up being a problem.

As a retired plumbing contractor, I always OVER-SIZED if possible.
It ends up costing only a little more to increase the pipe size .....
Labor is the same cost...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 06:48 PM

Love the idea you have for the place, the house would be just about the size the wife and I would love to rent, water will be a game changer for sure. I am one that doesn't really want to own, already have several houses in California.
I might be interested in putting in some work or money in exchange for a camp spot or a place to hangout on occasion? I can build,weld,rig or fix about anything. Keep me posted if you come up with some ideas, sure would be nice to keep it complete..
I agree with David about pipe size. My cabin water comes from a mile up the hill from us and we run 1 1/2 pipe that only necks down to 3/4 at the cabin. We have 14 cabins on the system with good pressure but big holding tanks and a lot of drop. Bigger is better.

[Edited on 10-9-2019 by advrider]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 10:10 PM

Bahia Asuncion, while being a phenomenal place, it's water issues are well-known....broken pipe from Vizcaino or pump issues....

So anything that could ease the outages would be forward thinking.

An idea that occurred to me while wondering how much water was in the tinaco during water outages (it was located too high to look into it) was for someone to come up with an external tube of clear plastic of some sort that could be plumbed on to the outside of the tinaco that would represent the water level.... and some others said they have seen it done.

This simple tinaco improvement could be a way to have a cottage industry that could pay for a person's cerveza habit :light:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 09:50 AM

There must be an inexpensive and simple/low-tech solution.

Aside from elevated tinacos or cisterns, what other systems have Nomads used for "healthy" water storage ... or for gardening?

As long as Baja sands get water, it seems that gardening is a manageable project....if there are people present for daily attendance/management. And the bunnies would need someone present ....

Organic materials beyond mesquite (bunny) droppings would likely be needed for meaningful (productive) gardening.

What are the soil conditions around the Vizcaino agricultural endeavours? Aside from water, what nutrient needs do they amend with non-organic growing?

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 09:51 AM

If I a involved I would definately build a large rock storage pila to store a months worth of water like we have here at the Inn.

So my next door 10 year old neighbor in GN came up with a brilliant method of seeing how much water I had in my tinaco on the roof after I asked him to climb up and check it...get this...
he made a small hole up near the top of the tinaco, he tied a wine cork onto one end of a line the length of the depth of the tinaco and threaded it through the hole..the cork is on the inside and on the other end he tied a heavy dinky car he had....so the dinky car goes up and down the outside of the tinaco so I could see it and it indicated the water level in my tinaco...brilliant!!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 01:49 PM

The Israelis and Australian's are the masters of desert growth, I modeled my garden beds in Arizona after what they do.
24 inch deep trenches, line bottom of trench with burlap sheet, 12 inches of hay, 6 inches compost, 6 inches garden soil. A little bit water everyday is the key for proper soil temp in summer. Same method for desert tolerant fruit trees; Pomegranate, Lime, Lemon, Orange, Tangerine, Grapefruit & my boy & girl Pistachio's

Es Todo Bueno
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2019 at 07:07 AM

thanks Ted...sound like a good plan...wonder where to get burlap? any other suggestions to substitute that?

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-11-2019 at 02:27 PM

Coffee roasters wind up with a lot of left over burlap bags. Got any of them anywhere near you?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
thanks Ted...sound like a good plan...wonder where to get burlap? any other suggestions to substitute that?

Shari,
You can use a couple layers of newspaper instead of burlap

Es Todo Bueno
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 11:00 AM

Or flattened cardboard boxes a few layers deep will also work....decomposes well....

Now, just to get an earthworm castings ranch going....:light:

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 01:24 PM

If you can't get daily water, get yourself some "Ollas" for burial in the ground to irrigate.
where there is water, there is life

Es Todo Bueno
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2019 at 09:56 AM

I did a chemical test on the soil at Asuncion. The soil is very basic (high ph) due a large salt content and is literally devoid of nitrogen. It's essentially hard packed clay and sand. It's best to mix in good organic soil into it and fertilize it periodically to keep that nitrogen up (and phosphorus. It's low on that as well). This was advised by the nursery in Vizcaino and it seems to work. The soil quality improves as you go inland and is good in Vizcaino where all the orchards are.

During my research on this matter I also spoke to the gardeners at Las Jardines. I figured if anyone would know how to grow plants here on the Pacific side it would be them. They grow virtually nothing on the native soil. All the leftover food goes into a compost pile and that's mixed with volcanic gravel from that nearby volcano we see from the highway. That's why the ground near the motel is all reddish.

In addition to the poor soil the wind is a big factor at Asuncion where it blows 15mph every afternoon. None of the garden plants like it. The wind seems to weaken them and they become susceptible to diseases which they normally are able to fight off. It's important to block it off and although it usually comes from the northwest it can come from any direction. In my opinion a greenhouse is the best solution but I haven't gone that far yet.

Hope this helps.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-14-2019 at 10:01 AM

Excellent report Igor!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 10-14-2019 at 10:31 AM

Shari seems to do quite well as her gardens will attest to.
Some of the neighboring ranchitos are very successful with a little patience and regular amending .
We have one friend who soaks his fish carcasses in water for a few days and adds that to his watering routine
The plants are muy feliz
Lionel :cool:

[Edited on 10-14-2019 by BajaRat]
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2023 at 12:26 PM

Time sure flies in Baja!
So I put the water line in, a big tinaco for storage that feeds a drip irrigation system to plants and trees.
I put a big bathroom and shower onto the house and a big shade ramada made of petates in front of the house.

To help develop our new Hacienda project in Guerrero Negro I am selling the ranch for $40,000.
It would be perfect for someone retiring to Baja who needs a project and wants to grow food or have animals and live in a quiet friendly village by the sea. Or for the new genre of Overlander or Vanlifer types who can work offline from remote areas. It would make a nice RV park too.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2023 at 07:12 PM

Cibnor does good work especially at finding out what can grow on salt flats. I used to translate their scientific papers. Neighboring ranches are growing veggies no problem.

Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.