BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Best full offroad tire?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 10:04 AM
Best full offroad tire?

I been on the lookout for the best tire. I'm not into fancy rims but I see some nice ones.

Please post pics of the best tire you see...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 10:07 AM

unique spanish boy names 2016

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 10:09 AM

This is a 20 inch rim and 305 width.
13 inches wide.
My tires are 33s. These are 32s but 1 inch wider.

[Edited on 6-27-2019 by fishbuck]

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 11:06 AM

If you are really just gonna use it offroad those examples are terrible.
Not so much the tires but the rims. To much rim not enough tire. I like the BFG KO2 and the Cooper ST Maxx for what I do.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 11:14 AM

The sidewalls are more important than width. Mine are 32" on 16" rims (265/75-16) which is pretty common size for unlifted 4x4s.

[Edited on 6-27-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 11:28 AM

as a general rule a good off road tire should be around 35" in diameter - about 12.50 wide (for the 4x4 vehicles on the market that are off road capable)
the very few smaller exceptions (Suzuki Jimny) will be fine with smaller tires

the wheel should be a small as possible (whatever smallest size fits over your brakes)
a 15" wheel with 35" tires is preferable over a 17" wheel on 35's

the Baja racers definitely know what works best
for years they were running 15/35
when horsepower and brake size increased they moved on to 17" wheels with 37" tires
this was in order to preserve the volume of air in the tire
air volume in the tire is the single most important aspect for trouble free exploring - it gives you a much wider range of weight carrying capacity and the ability to air down
like super low like 3 psi for emergencies - can't even go to 10 psi in a 20" wheel with 35" tires

which brand?
some new good ones have popped up in recent years
the one with the best track record are BFG tires
which pattern?
from my own experience (30+ years in the Baja backcountry) MT tires hold up better than AT tires

also from experience - larger tires with less air prevent flats - especially on dirt roads with machine broken gravel (sharp!)

others will chip in with their favorite brands - but I can tell you this from testing off road tires for magazines, I have seen some pretty durable tires other than BFG - but they were usually louder on pavement and stiffer (more prone to flats and harsher ride)

now, let the dirt fly!

Harald Pietschmann
solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The sidewalks are more important than width. Mine are 32" on 16" rims (265/75-16) which is pretty common size for unlifted 4x4s.

You mean the "sidewalls"

Standard Non "Bobby Baja" style for most mortals is a:

Load range "E", 10 ply tread and sidewall.

Carry 2 spares

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 11:49 AM

Yes, thanks... I hate auto correct.

Harold is the expert and he is correct. However, 35" tires need a lift. My 32s are the biggest on a Tacoma without a lift and have no rub.
The new, improved BFG KO series is a big improvement and the mud terrain version was not loud at highway speed as typical for mud tires.
I have liked Toyo Open Country, Cooper Discoverer, and Hankook DynaPro (my current brand).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 12:17 PM

sandpoint
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 12:51 PM

I like BFG KO2's. 235/85 R16, E rated. They are pricey though. 16" rims are the smallest that clear the Tundra front brake calipers/rotor setup. That tall/skinny size saves 9-lbs a tire vs 265/75 and doesn't rub on the Tacoma's frame. They do squirm in corners and braking. Any larger and I'd need a big lift at a minimum. Does well in the sand and especially the snow. Quieter than a mud tire. Worse mileage than a Rugged Trail.

Truck Resize jpeg.jpg - 195kB

[Edited on 6-27-2019 by sandpoint]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 12:59 PM

If you aren't running Nitto Terra Grapplers you are doing it wrong.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 03:09 PM

Dont overthink it. Tires are temporary, you are not getting married to ‘em.
My selection factors: got to be adequately multi-purpose (highway, offroad, snow), adequate reviews, low noise, price.
If looks are a factor to you, you got stupid priorities.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 03:51 PM

Hey goat you got some offroad tires on your prius? Show us some photos.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 04:00 PM

Not sure of the brand, but these clever Russian folks have figured out a way to mount two tires on one rim for the purpose of driving in the snow. Too bad they got the tire sizes wrong, but they came up with a hilarious workaround -- screwing the outside tire to the inside tire. Oddly enough, the inside tire promptly went flat. YMMV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxJqLzxlKRM&t=273s

They also came up with the idea of making a tire entirely out of nails. What's one more nail when you already have 3,000 of them in your tire? Great for weeding and cultivating your yard as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLoI5nyQ-U

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by solosancarlos  

Standard Non "Bobby Baja" style for most mortals is a:

Load range "E", 10 ply tread and sidewall.

Carry 2 spares

10 ply tread and sidewall is 1950's (bias ply tires)
we have moved on to steel belted (rarely more than 2 ply sidewall)

Carry 2 spares?
If your tires are too small for the job and need to be fully inflated at all times to carry your heavy truck, you will have flats often and need 2 spares.

Once you get tires with more volume of air, flats will be a part of history and one spare will do.

When I moved from 30x10.50 to 35x12.50 I went from one flat a week to no flat in 10 years

hanging two spares on your back is like mounting shovel and HiLift to your roof rack - it means you don't really know what you are doing

Harald Pietschmann
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 06:38 PM

I don't carry an extra spare, but the one I have is an exact match to the ones on the SUV. I do carry an inner tube with me, because with it, most tire shops would be able to get you back on the road even with multiple small punctures.

The tube takes up almost no room in the car, and it sure beats trying to find a matching tire (or tube) in a remote area! The one I had installed in Los Barriles two years ago is now my spare.

I agree with Harald abut the BFG mud terrains being a good choice, even in sand! The only place I did not like them is on ice, and that shuldn't be a problem for you in Baja. The question was about off road tires, but unless you are off road a lot, I would stick with a fairly open all terrain model.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 06:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

He doesn't really need AT's to keep the tips flowing from his Uber customers.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

He doesn't really need AT's to keep the tips flowing from his Uber customers.

you guys are a bunch of girls discussing tires for a truck. the place you really notice tires is bicycles. i got 11 bikes and 2 unicycles in my garage -- and got 14 different models of tires across those bikes.
i notice the tire choice on any cycle -- i barely notice the tire choice on a motor vehicle.
you guys better man up and stop talking girlish trivia about rubber for cars.

p.s. i don't remember what tire is on the Hondas (passenger cars) and toyota (SUV). The f-150 is still newish and rolling on stock tires (wrangler?) have not bothered to look recently, so forget make/model), but getting replacement bfg at t/a ko2 c soon (after the stock tires wear out)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

you guys are a bunch of girls discussing tires for a truck. the place you really notice tires is bicycles. i got 11 bikes and 2 unicycles in my garage -- and got 14 different models of tires across those bikes.
i notice the tire choice on any cycle -- i barely notice the tire choice on a motor vehicle.
you guys better man up and stop talking girlish trivia about rubber for cars.

p.s. i don't remember what tire is on the Hondas (passenger cars) and toyota (SUV). The f-150 is still newish and rolling on stock tires (wrangler?) have not bothered to look recently, so forget make/model), but getting replacement bfg at t/a ko2 c soon (after the stock tires wear out)

You know how I know those comments got you all riled up? Glad we could make you justify/defend yourself to internet strangers.

You just broke troll 101 rules by getting emotional.

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 08:16 PM

I use to use Nitto Grapplers on my bush truck up north. I put them on my F350 and camper when we started going to Baja. The problem was they could not handle the heat at 70 PSI. They were blowing up on me. I needed that tire pressure given the load I was carrying.

I switched to BFG KO2’s and have had no problems. I buy them in Baja for less than half the price I can get them for in Canada. The tire shop just north of Mulege at the Punta Chivato turn off has the best prices.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.