Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: fireworks
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 05:04 PM
fireworks

looking for a place in san quintin to buy fireworks on the way south. haven't seen any sighs for them in a few years. really not wanting to stop in Ensenada. thanks
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 05:09 PM
No Sign of SIGHS ?

Hm ?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 05:18 PM

Hi Steve! Is it yellowtail time in Bahía de L.A.?
The big store north of San Felipe is the only place I seen advertising them.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 06:48 PM

Go down the 5. We have spent probably a couple thousand dollars at that one over the last 10 years.

During Christmas you can get them at the market in BoLA. Some really good bottle rockets.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 06:52 PM

Hmmm.... fireworks are iffy in Mexico, per availability and quality.
A quick peek at San Diego Craigslist shows some good stuff
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/for/d/san-diego-4th-of-j...
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 07:06 PM

Have fun scaring the chit out of pets and wildlife.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2019 at 09:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Have fun scaring the chit out of pets and wildlife.

Yes please go far far far out of any camp or town. Most hate fireworks . Please be respectful of your neighbor
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 09:18 AM

I grew up on fireworks and loved them, but information that is readily available now has changed my mind about their use.

Thatch roofs, fences, corrals, etc. just love bottle rockets.

The animal reaction to big bangs is often pathetic to watch. Dogs may tremble for hours afterwards. Birds and other wildlife may abandon territory. Farm animals are often stressed to unhealthy levels.

The volume of pollution from fireworks is astounding. All those sparkles and colors are from additives (including various heavy metals) in the explosive powders, and the particles and gasses they produce can be very toxic. It all goes up into the air and comes down somewhere, on something.

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 09:21 AM

Yes ! Don't be one of those selfish inconsiderate A-holes
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 11:35 AM

I live close enough to a 5 star hotel that when they celebrate with fireworks (weddings, parties), the ground shakes. I wouldn't call this stuff fireworks. Tubes like 81mm mortars. They go all out and it's always a spectacular event.

Trust me when I write that all dogs can be trained to be OK with fireworks and loud noises. It takes time and patience and failure is only an option for the dog owner.

I love fireworks. More the better. Loud is great. I like setting them off on the beach. Fortunately, I don't have neighbors with pampered and coddled dogs.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I live close enough to a 5 star hotel that when they celebrate with fireworks (weddings, parties), the ground shakes. I wouldn't call this stuff fireworks. Tubes like 81mm mortars. They go all out and it's always a spectacular event.

Trust me when I write that all dogs can be trained to be OK with fireworks and loud noises. It takes time and patience and failure is only an option for the dog owner.

I love fireworks. More the better. Loud is great. I like setting them off on the beach. Fortunately, I don't have neighbors with pampered and coddled dogs.

wow, you really are a heartless bonehead

bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 01:00 PM

If your going down Hwy 1, go past Ensenada and turn on the street that goes to Estero Beach (Lazaro Card##as). There are two shops that sell fireworks on the right hand side of the road as you are going toward the ocean. Look for the signs that say “Cohetes”. They are only a couple blocks off the Hwy and you can usually park right in front of the store. Super easy, super quick and no hassle like downtown Ensenada. If you wanna drop a little coin just ask the person at the counter for the better stuff in the back. They will have El Jefe bring out the real deal stuff but it’s more money.

If you like mariscos keep going down Lazero Carrdenas until it dead ends into Lupita Novelo. Look for Gustavo’s mariscos stand. He makes some of the best civiche and a double decker tostada that is unique.

[Edited on 6-28-2019 by bobrehfuss]
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 01:04 PM

I tried to edit. Not sure why it won’t let me write Lazaro Card##as.
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 01:06 PM

Lazaro Card en as
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 01:07 PM

I love bottle rockets.
My favorite is the Screaming Rattler...
Guaranteed to scare old people and there"comfort" animals...
A quick stop in Ensenada is your best bet.
Up the street from McDonalds I think.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by solosancarlos  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

wow, you really are a heartless bonehead

Yep, keep everything dumbed down these days to the lowest common denominator. Can't offend anyone ever.

Time and a place for everything.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 01:31 PM

Love letting off big bottle rockets at night and hearing them echo across the water or in a canyon. Take them on every trip we can.

Fun times.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 03:09 PM

If you use the accent marks to spell it correctly, it lets you:
Lázaro Cárdenas
(to get the á, press and hold down the Alt key & enter 160 on the keyboard, then release the Alt key).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 03:38 PM

I love fireworks, especially the big skyrockets, but there is a danger factor there that I long ignored until I was forced to be more careful. A friend and I used to put on a real extravaganza he started with another friend every New Year's Eve at La Bocana de Santo Tomas -- skyrockets, mortars, girandolas, missile blocks, bottle rockets, fountains, roman candles, m80s, m1000s, black cats, etc. If they sold it in Ensenada, we blew it up. A few times we even worked a nice dry Christmas tree festooned with firecrackers into the show.

For those who don't know, the area is very sparsely populated. It's a couple of miles from the fishing port at Puerto Santo Tomas, which is the only "populated" area around there, with maybe a couple of dozen permanent residents. A number of folks from the few houses in the surrounding area would come to my friend's house to watch the fireworks, and those who had dogs that were bothered by fireworks were sensible enough to leave them at home, locked up.

Anyway, a few years ago we had a premature explosion of one of the really big rockets while it was still in its tube on our launch deck, about 4 feet in front of us. I suffered some permanent hearing loss and received a lifetime gift of tinnitus. My friend had similar symptoms. Fortunately, those were the only physical injuries we suffered. My eyeglasses took a piece of the rocket dead center in the right eyepiece and likely saved my right eye. My sweatshirt took a few hits and had a few burn holes as well. The spectators thought it was all part of the show and loved it, but my friend and I agreed that we were damn lucky not to have been more severely injured.

I still do fireworks, but I deal with them more deliberately in preparing and lighting them, and I get out of the launch area completely after ignition instead of standing just back of the blast zone. I wear gloves, safety glasses (those prescription eyeglasses are expensive to replace), fire-resistant clothes, and earplugs, and I always have a fire extinguisher and a hose at hand and make sure that water pressure is good before starting. Fireworks can and should be both fun and safe. BOOM!

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2019 at 04:49 PM

I thought they were banned in Ensenada Municipality? only in San Felipe or Sonora are they allowed.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.