Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: July trip
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-19-2019 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
the weather is absolutely perfect here....daytime temps around 80!
Today's fun event is a Rodeo to raise funds for the queens of the Fiestas!

Yay! Can’t wait to meet you.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2019 at 01:36 PM

Well..we have to shorten our trip as one passport doesn’t come til tomorrow. Paul has gone on already.
I’ll post about our shortened version of this trip.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-25-2019 at 08:11 AM

oh darn...I was so looking forward to meeting you all...you can easily do the drive yourself! Just come straight here the second day!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-25-2019 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
oh darn...I was so looking forward to meeting you all...you can easily do the drive yourself! Just come straight here the second day!

Yes, it is all paved to Asunción and Shari's is just a mile further on a dusty street across town, near the lighthouse point. An easy day drive from San Quintín if you leave early. Maybe 300 miles (without looking)?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2019 at 04:54 PM

This 3/4 of the group just got home.

I’ll update as best I can tomorrow but my phone is in San Quintin in the parking lot of the boat captain so all my pics are gone...crying...except 2...still crying.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 10:29 AM

can I help you get your phone back? send me details and we can try.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2019 at 11:44 AM

Thank you Shari, Paul and Mmc, I am hoping to hear back today if anyone has my phone but am ready to write it off if no.
Just want my pics but I guess I am lucky to have gone this long without losing a device so oh well.

All your offered help is appreciated greatly❤️
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2019 at 11:54 AM

I’ll start my mini trio report..was short and I use photos as a guide to our adventure and don’t have any so will be a bit boring.

Let’s see..

We left Laguna at 7:30am to meet Paul in El Cajun and got the last of the gear to be brought down for others before crossing at Tecate.

Personally I was shocked at what a rural and empty and in the middle of nowhere the border crossing was at, never been to Tecate, and it was quick and got our FMM’s and we were off. My son Alexander rode with Paul from before the border until our first overnight stop.
We hit stopped traffic before meeting the 1 in Ensenada and that continued for about an hour and 10 mins til we got to Costco area of ensensada.
I was blown away by the traffic..it barely moved at all..I later heard that Paul said it was the worst he has ever seen and I hope so cuz it was crazy slow.
We did stop at El Trailero for tacos, amazing shrimp tacos for me and the boys had to die for birria ones.
I wish we had one here😍😍

Ugh.. my rest of first day disappeared.
Here’s a pic while I rewrite

[Edited on 8-3-2019 by Mother of Dragons]
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2019 at 12:29 PM

Ok, so we stopped for the first night at
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150770-d4702876-Re...

Which I had confused with Cielito Lindo in my mind. That was where I meant for us to go to but I confused places,

Anyways..it was deserted but the rooms were booked but I was eventually Able to get a room from a guy camped there in a HUGE camper that also had the one room booked for the night,
Sorry..photos are lost...the room was disintegrating and hot and stuffy and the bathroom was even worse but whatever, I tried to sleep in it while the boys camped on the bluff.
The boys said people drove up and down the road all night partying at the beach there.
I ordered a ton of the famous crab but it was old and dried out and no one ate it.
In the morning I made a breakfast snack at the camp and then we left for breakfast at a restaurant Paul knew that was great.

Then we headed to Los Pinos to help Paul out with some work he had to do there with his clinic.

Ok.. will continue updating.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2019 at 12:44 PM

We then went to the Flying Sams clinic at Los Pinos to deliver supplies with Paul.

Next we went to San Quintin to find a place for us to stay as I had a fishing trip booked.
We went to Old Mill..booked..Don Eddie’s..also booked but Tony found us space, thank you Tony, and then we checked out Jardine’s where I fell in love.,,also booked..but we met a man in the parking lot, Barron from Mulegé, that gave us his room..thank you Barron.
So we went back to Don Eddies to cancel and then to Jardines to chill. My younger dragon was sick then so we stayed in the room, wonderful, HUGE room, for the day so he could rest.

Room 20 is huge and has 3 queen sized beds and a full size refrig/freezer and microwave and huge bathroom.
We even cooked in it, with hotel ok, on our camp stove.

Next morning we got up at 5:30 am to fish.
My younger son was throwing up but we still headed over until he threw up in the parking lot a bunch so I took him back to Jardines for the day and my other son and I went fishing.
Headed out for yellowtail, captain found a school immediately but no luck so we rock fished and then fished for snapper later.
We caught a ton.
I actually caught my first fish ever, a big ol’ lingcod, so that was fun.
I had the two other biggest fish of the day, lingcods too, on my line but lost them.
We ended up with lots of fish, we gave away most as we didn’t have room, but left with a ton too.
Jardines cooked up 3 thick chocolate snappers for us.
All good.
We had a great night of sleep at Jardines that night,

I lost my phone in the parking lot so all my photos are lost. I didn’t have a WiFi or cell moment for the pics to transfer to other accounts unfortunately, still crying 😭😭😭😭

Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2019 at 02:42 PM

I’ll finish up today or tomorrow
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2019 at 03:29 PM

Edits so far..

*I had no issues crossing the border with minors as a single parent.
I was prepared as I have had friends who needed proof at the border to cross as single parents with their children.

*We also stopped at a Pemex in Ensenada so Paul could pick up a delivery from nomad Kim. My kids enjoyed talking about his bike with him.

*The pass with construction between Ensenada and San Quintin was HOT!
My temperature gauge was at 110 for a few minutes but mostly stayed between 105-107.
We got lucky and hit the tail end of the group moving so I don’t know how long the wait would’ve been in that heat if it was hit and you had to wait your turn. I was happy my dog wasn’t with us.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 09:27 AM

What day of the week did you hit the Ensenada traffic? I was northbound Wed., July 31st, about 5PM. Terrible traffic, about 1 hour to get thru the main part of town. Must be 25 signaled intersections.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
What day of the week did you hit the Ensenada traffic? I was northbound Wed., July 31st, about 5PM. Terrible traffic, about 1 hour to get thru the main part of town. Must be 25 signaled intersections.

It was Friday around 1ish iirc..close to 1 pm at least.
I was shocked at how long it took to crawl through town.
My son that rode with Paul later told me that Paul said it was the worst traffic he’s seen there so that confirms it for me..it was bad!

Ok...going to try to finish this report up today but bit feeling great.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 12:24 PM

So terrible to lose your phone with photos! Glad you made it down and in the good company of Paul.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
So terrible to lose your phone with photos! Glad you made it down and in the good company of Paul.

We only got as far as San Quintin, my trip had to be cut short because of the passport issue.
Next time I’ll make it to La Bocana.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 03:23 PM

We had lunch one day at Mr. Taco there in SQ, was very crowded inside 👍, and had great meats, no seafoods.
The pastor and Carne asada were excellent but the real star for me was their cucumber juice. I’ve never had any one as good as their’s, it was sweet and refreshing and had some aloe in I think cuz it had a little of the gel type balls in it,
Worth a stop imo

Ok..so finally left San Quintin, after stopping at the Yonke yard and picking up a door and some door panels for my son’s car.

Was $75 a good guy price for an intact Land Crusier door, 3 interior door panels, floor mats and a temperature gauge for my other son’s CJ 7?
We thought it was but curious if it was?
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 03:40 PM

We went by a place called Adele’s I found on acamping site I use Campendium sometimes,
We were going to camp there for the night and while we all liked it we decided to head back to the first place because there was a dog another camper had decided to take home, a really really cool dog with a lot of personality, but he said we could have it instead so we headed back to get the dog and camp for the night.

Here are a few pics I took of Adele’s on iPad, it’s about a 5 minute walk to the beach and had lots of animals, pigs, goats, a horse, white pigeons, chickens and puppies.
They have a casita you can rent and a school bus. The school bus was super cool inside
They had a cooking and washing area, an outhouse and a shower area. All rustic of course.

We found it by following screenshots I took of google earth but I found them on air bnb and may be more helpful to use their directions. They are pretty unknown still.
No, I don’t know them or get any commission lol, just sharing

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/24696973?source_impression_id=p...
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 03:56 PM

We went back to Prate’s Cave but the guy that was to wait for us so we could get the dog left at 4 am that morning👎
So we went back to Adele’s and picked up a puppy..lmeet Pintâ. 5 week old Queensland, was too young to leave mom but they were leaving anyways and I raised orphan puppies for years so we “adopted” her. My older son has been wanting his own dog for a bit.

We got the fleas off and cleaned up her eyes and is much more energetic now..fleas can kill a puppy or drain them but she was adorable all flea covered and filthy anyways.

Then we went back to Prate’s to camp for the night.
Was very windy but very nice.
There was an American Bible group there so no rooms again but my car was more comfy anyways. The Bible group had their own service and singing throughout the night, I’m still trying to figure out how they were all so clean and perfect looking, it was dusty and windy as heck.

Too windy for the bluff.

ETA: we drive to La Lobera turnoff with Paul after Los Pinos but the road was too bad for my car , Yukon hybrid so no 4wd and a low front spoiler, unfortunately. Another time after a better car for it.

[Edited on 8-7-2019 by Mother of Dragons]
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 04:06 PM

Made breakfast and headed out, the pass was 92 degrees, we waited 20 mins for our turn, not sure how long the cars were there before our turn but note to women, I watched a gal try forever to climb a hill with her tp in hand to use the bathroom but no luck..men got it made though as usual.

Hit Ensenada, barely any traffic at all..think we were through in 20 mins, stopped for tacos and made for Tecate.
Got to border line at 3:02pm and crossed at 4:05.
Guy was pulled over at the immigration check right after border getting his car torn heavily inspected by many guys, looked like they were pulling panels out.
And that’s all.
My almost first time to drive all of central Baja but next time.

Wish I had photos to post as they tell the story better but I don’t.

Another ETA, we stopped at the Santo Tomas mission on the way in, the footprint was nice to see, a woman was in the museum too. Cool to see what is left of it.

[Edited on 8-4-2019 by Mother of Dragons]

[Edited on 8-4-2019 by Mother of Dragons]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.