BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Internation donations to Mexico for 2017 earthquake relief........
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-30-2019 at 11:58 AM
Internation donations to Mexico for 2017 earthquake relief........

.......are, well, unaccounted for, for the most part. Looks like between 2-3 billion pesos can't be located, as of yet.

https://www.elimparcial.com/mexico/Desaparecen-mas-2-mil-mdp...
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 04:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
.......are, well, unaccounted for, for the most part. Looks like between 2-3 billion pesos can't be located, as of yet.

https://www.elimparcial.com/mexico/Desaparecen-mas-2-mil-mdp...

And why does this not surprise me?

Making America Great Again
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 07:03 AM

Business as usual...............
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 09:07 AM

Of course Hook, posts a link like this about some Mexican charity group, in hopes he gets other Mexico haters and detractors, usually from the extreme far right, to take a bat to the Pinata, called Mexico, and then gets others to take their turn with the bat and swing away at anything Mexico, but in this case it's a Mexican charity.

However, if they took the time to look at various large charitable group, the majority including those in the US, usually do not give all the charity donations to the intended victims.

This is the reason why I never give to large charity groups like the Red Cross, and especially the Red Cross, in the US, that acts more like a fortune 500 firm than a non profit charity that helps those in needs. If you took a close look at charity groups like the Red Cross, you will see they pay their CEO, like other large companies, and the company often runs a deficit. It's also rare that more than a faction of the money collected goes to the intended victims, and in some cases the Red Cross, runs a bait and switch operation with you money you donated to a specific cause.

And get this, the Red Cross, engages in right wing politics!

Now don't even get me started on all the "GoFundme" scams that's all over the world, especially when we could all just bash a charity in Mexico, and blame it all on Mexican culture.

I also don't give to bums carrying signs on Freeway off ramps claiming they are Vietnam Veterans, because I don't believe them, and even if it was true, I wouldn't care.

I usually have a soft heart, for the little young Indian girls selling chiclets on the streets of Mexico, but I often hear that's a scam too! Oh well, I still will give the little girls and boys my loose change.

OK, who's turn is at with the bat to bash away?

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Of course Hook, posts a link like this about some Mexican charity group, in hopes he gets other Mexico haters and detractors, usually from the extreme far right, to take a bat to the Pinata, called Mexico, and then gets others to take their turn with the bat and swing away at anything Mexico, but in this case it's a Mexican charity.

However, if they took the time to look at various large charitable group, the majority including those in the US, usually do not give all the charity donations to the intended victims.

This is the reason why I never give to large charity groups like the Red Cross, and especially the Red Cross, in the US, that acts more like a fortune 500 firm than a non profit charity that helps those in needs. If you took a close look at charity groups like the Red Cross, you will see they pay their CEO, like other large companies, and the company often runs a deficit. It's also rare that more than a faction of the money collected goes to the intended victims, and in some cases the Red Cross, runs a bait and switch operation with you money you donated to a specific cause.

And get this, the Red Cross, engages in right wing politics!

Now don't even get me started on all the "GoFundme" scams that's all over the world, especially when we could all just bash a charity in Mexico, and blame it all on Mexican culture.

I also don't give to bums carrying signs on Freeway off ramps claiming they are Vietnam Veterans, because I don't believe them, and even if it was true, I wouldn't care.

I usually have a soft heart, for the little young Indian girls selling chiclets on the streets of Mexico, but I often hear that's a scam too! Oh well, I still will give the little girls and boys my loose change.

OK, who's turn is at with the bat to bash away?

Funny, the guy who never goes to Mexico, defends it at all costs, says I have a negative agenda (AZZHAT JOE).

While the guy who lives there more than half the year, has lived there full time for 10 of the past 12 years, and has vacationed there, almost exclusively, for almost exactly 50 years, sees the reality of it. Mexico needs to face the face, internationally.

Who ya gonna believe?
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 06:24 PM

Yeah, no one replied for all of sixteen minutes. I am so dejected.

Who ya gonna believe?
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 06:30 PM

Speaking of international donations to help Mexicans, check out this write up from Grahm, who recently visited Coco, at "Cocos Corner's," and Coco, offered all this free help to Grahm, with nothing excepted in return, according to Grahm, and now Grahm, has started a "GoFundMe" to raise money for Coco, because supposedly Coco has bad truck brakes and so he can't go to the doctor, in Ensenada to seek medical attention.

Of course, while I'm reading this I'm cringing because I know Coco's MO, and Coco has hooked another big fish (sucker) with one of his sad stories, but Coco, is a great fisherman, he baits his big fish , with free stuff, like a free beer, soda, or water, and maybe a place to stay the night, which is the equivalent to giving your fish plenty of line, and then suddenly he reels in the big fish(the sucker) hook, line and sinker, with one of Coco's many sad stories, that's designed to make others feel sorry for Coco, and give him money.

Of course I could see the scam a mile away, because scams like this are often played in poor countries, but sadly the majority of "Baja Nomad" members, who often believe anything they read, probably believe Coco, is a good guy, and is not playing anybody, and Coco is such a cool character, you just want to help him, and JoeJustJoe, doesn't know what he is talking about.

I rest my case, Coco, is playing this guy all the way, and Grahm, has no clue he is being played, and probably really feels good about helping Coco. Of course free free to contribute to the Coco, Gofundme, good cause, see the link below.

Cocos Corner Truck Fund

From Grahm Gessner

GoFundMe

On the Solstice, I embarked on a solo excursion down into southern Baja, my eyes set on the long waves of San Juanico (more photos coming soon). I took Hwy 5 down past San Felipe, rerouting around collapsed bridges, through quebradas, ultimately hitting the stretch of rocky dirt road that makes up the unfinished highway that connects over to Hwy 1 running down the pacific side. Braving nearly bald tires, and foolishly not relieving their pressure to a more forgiving state, I was presented with the inevitable and blew out my back-left tire in the middle of the desert. Luckily my full-size spare was in great condition and I was even assisted by a gracious Mexican family who serendipitously appeared as I was pulling out my jack, even though I hadn’t seen another car for miles, but that’s another story.

Having used my only spare, I cautiously proceeded to the iconic Coco’s corner to grab a couple photos and a beer before continuing into the afternoon to reach Guerro Negro before dark. When I pulled out a $20 to pay for a couple beers, he was going to decline compensation and give them to me for free as he didn’t have change. Luckily, I had a couple smaller bills and some stickers that I was able to trade. It wasn’t long after sitting on the patio with Coco and his friend Danny, admiring a 3-foot-long scorpion they had made out of plastic bottles, toilet paper and painted with coffee, that Coco was offering to set me up with a shower, a place to stay the night (in one of his trailers) and soup (instant cup of noodles), and help patch my tire – all without expectation of compensation. They mentioned the remainder of the road ahead was even worse than what I had just encountered and that it would be a stretch to make it to my destination before nightfall. Additionally, I would be up a creek without a paddle if I were to blow another tire. Let me add that Coco is 82 years old, his skin especially tanned from living rather exposed under the desert sun, oh… and he doesn’t have legs. The result of complications with diabetes, from what I understand. There’s a good nature about these strangers, a relaxed and genuine demeanor that has permeated through our initial interactions, so I accept.

During that evening, we discussed airing down to around 25 psi to allow the tires to bend around the jagged rocks that littered the rough roads. I adjusted my tires accordingly and then offered to check Coco’s tire pressure on his big truck as he didn’t have the means to do so. During this process, I learned that Coco’s truck (which had also been generously donated) was becoming burdensome. The brakes were all but shot, so Coco relied heavily on downshifting to slow down. But most of all, his big Ram truck outfitted with a hemi was a gas guzzler and overkill for his needs – exerting an unnecessary financial burden on his meager earnings of donations and profits from selling beer and soda out of his home to passersby. He only needs to commute once a month or so to Ensenada to seek medical attention, yet he has had to skip months out of lack of gas money.

After sitting around talking story with my new friends that evening, I learned that there really are some genuine individuals out there – sometimes in quite unexpected places. Coco will never be hesitant to lend a helping hand, offer anyone a place to stay, a shower, food at the end of the night, all from his own pocket and all without expectation of compensation. Even at 82 years of age, this man wakes up with a smile, a heartwarming "Buenos Dias", and looks for the next opportunity to make someone's day.

There’re not too many people that embody this sort of spirit. In fact, I learned that several people have taken advantage of Coco's situation, stealing from him - in one instance, even removing the wheels from his wheel chair to turn a peso. My intention here is to try to return the spirit of giving. I want to see if we can collectively give back to further propagate the sort of generosity that Coco stands for. Even if just giving this a repost, any contribution would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/coco039s-corner-truck-fund?pc=fb_...

[Edited on 7-2-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

I know Hook, met him and his wife years ago in a place we both called home at the time. We fished together, good food together, have kept in touch. Everything you assume about him is wrong. Just saying....

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 02:58 PM

Imagine a wonderful world where bajanomad had BLOCKING.....:rolleyes:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2019 at 11:39 AM

yup, he just needs brakes on that nice truck that was so kindly donated.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-10-2019 at 09:23 AM

Thank you for the public service announcement and potentially saving us all from a horrible old man in the desert, with no legs getting by with what stick from passers by. Just think, had I know this years ago I could have saved that 20 or 30 bucks for the couple beers I have when I stop there and talk with him... and not been as content in life having known a crazy old dude with no legs who lives in the desert pretty much alone.

Please refrain from comment of those who you don’t know or better yet, just refrain from comment.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-10-2019 at 10:54 AM

As I said in my earlier posts, if you want to pay Coco, for his supposedly free drinks, snacks, hospitality and entertainment. I see nothing wrong with that, but for the life of me, I don't get the interest in Coco, or Coco's corner.

What I want to warn against is the grifter, types of scams, Coco, and those like him play on hapless Americans with a big heart, where those dig deep into their banking accounts to pay for new transportation or a favorite scam is to pay for some type of medical emergency of the scammer for either themselves, or other family member that involve big money from $100 dollars to over $5000 dollars.

Here is an example, that involves a nominal small amount, and is not a big deal, but the reason I used this example, is that Coco, probably has no real intentions to actually pay for the jack stands, but is hinting for others to get him the jack stands for free, and Coco, knows exactly what he is doing, while those giving probably have no clue he is probably running the same kind of scam on others too.

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
With a high probability of receiving a negative comment from Mtgoat666, I'll post a message from Coco. He is in need of two jack stands to support the frame of his car when the axle is removed. When I was there a week ago he offered me cash to buy them but I couldn't tell when we'd return that way, certainly not soon enough to be of much help. He showed me a Harbor Freight ad where he had them circled.

With the 1000 coming soon, perhaps someone would be passing that way that might be of assistance.

John M

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
Jack stands were dropped off yesterday, Coco was pleased.

Sure he's thrilled to get free stuff - and then charge you $300 to get your wrecked Jeep back.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 7-10-2019 at 12:03 PM

Ya, the last time I was there he was complaining about the low mileage truck and I don't blame him. BUT what I would like to see is NOT getting him a new truck , simply a "go fund me" for a gas card.

To be used for gas ONLY.
It would be a MUCH less expensive and easier way....

How to monitor this would take someone with an active roll.

Seems a bit ridiculous to buy an entire new truck and have to again modify it for Coco to drive . And what about selling the old truck ? Who's going to keep that money ?

[Edited on 7-10-2019 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2019 at 08:57 AM

Of course, JJJ has never actually MET Coco. No, that would involve actually GOING to Baja.

The Clueless Keyboard Cowboy of Occupied Aztlan can only speculate on things related to Mexico, based on things he reads on***drumroll, please*** The Internet, his Holy Grail.

Hey, JJJ, why do you stay in Occupied Aztlan? Why haven't you moved to Unoccupied Aztlan, if you're such a big supporter of the way things are in Mexico?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.