Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Scorpion Bay info -driving from the North
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 06:42 AM
Scorpion Bay info -driving from the North

Hello everyone. I apologize for waiting till the last minute, but I need some logistics info. We are leaving mid morning today and take two days to get from Jamul to to Scorpion Bay for camping and surfing. A couple questions. We will probably come and go from he North. I have a F350 diesel 4x4 with oversized tires.

1. Is there a diesel gas station or barrels at Scorpion Bay?
2. Is the dry lake bed passable?
3. Is the campground on the bluff still operating at $10/person?
4. Anything else critical for me to know about the logistics?

Sorry that I need a quick reply. Thanks in advance. steve
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 07:08 AM

Steve, try here as well:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/115118945166528/

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 07:27 AM

The graded ("High") road was repaired after my visit from the north (August 2017) making it the preferred route now.
Previously, the Salina ("Low") road was the recommended route that crosses over or along the edge of the tidal salt flats (not a dry lakebed).
Desert Bull is a regular here on Nomad who goes to San Juanico (Scorpion Bay) often.

The road log from San Ignacio to San Juanico and on to Ciudad Insurgentes has been shared here on Nomad: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=92377

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 08:00 AM

David, as usual great info thanks. I will print it out and stuff it in the truck! still wondering about gas and hope someone chimes in. :-)

Good info on the facebook link too, thanks

steve
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 08:33 AM

I have 300 mile range in my vehicle. I top off in San Ignacio and don't have a problem making the round trip. Some of the guys I go with buy fuel in San Juanico (gas not diesel) but I never do. I don't have info if diesel is available.
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 09:59 AM

Great. Leaving now. Thanks for the tips.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 12:35 PM

There is a small tienda that sell gasoline in town, I do not think they have diesel though, I would not rely on it

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 07:28 PM

Well everyone, thanks for the good info, I got back earlier today. No consistent gasoline in San Juanico and did not see any diesel at all. Like the gent said earlier 300 miles of range was plenty for us in a round trip. There was purified water (20 pesos for 5 gallons) and bagged ice for 30 pesos at the same water place. We had a great trip and the swell that was supposed to arrive from a hurricane in the south was always... maƱana. But still a friendly crowd and some good waist to chest high waves pretty much every day. Air in the 70's and eighties with the water in the low 70's.

DJI_0031.jpeg - 225kB

[Edited on 7-9-2019 by steve5555]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 07:41 PM

Very nice pic. We went back and forth on whether we were going to run up there for a day or two. Decided to stick to the SoC instead. It wasn't that hot.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

SMG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2019 at 08:56 PM

Great pic! How's the sand?

So was the camping still available? How about the palapa rentals and restaurant?

Hoping to go back to SJ soon, it's been several years
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2019 at 10:06 PM

Sand is terrible. Even 2nd is quite rocky at the moment. Only breaking on low tide, sadly. Bring sand!
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2019 at 03:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by joel  
Sand is terrible. Even 2nd is quite rocky at the moment. Only breaking on low tide, sadly. Bring sand!

At low does it still close out in the middle? 2 months ago it was closing in sorta that middle section most of the time. Not sure if it also was partially because of swell direction or just the bottom is so moved around.

Be back there in a week or so.
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2019 at 01:36 PM

Yep. Even the modest swells we have had the past few weeks have removed more sand. I've seen it like this after hurricane season, but sad that we're starting at this level. Still fun, but just not as amazing as the past - and it means that the tide window is much narrower.

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
Quote: Originally posted by joel  

At low does it still close out in the middle? 2 months ago it was closing in sorta that middle section most of the time. Not sure if it also was partially because of swell direction or just the bottom is so moved around.

Be back there in a week or so.
ed26

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 05:12 PM

Driving note: Have a buddy that lives in San Juanico 4-5 months a year and came out the Ranch road about two weeks ago. Told me it was in great condition, so we gave it a shot (have always gone salt flats in the past). From San Ignacio town square to the San Juanico in 2 1/2 hours, and NOT pushing it. The road was in very nice condition (all things considered), and with the huge high tides last week, the flats were very wet. No telling if the road will hold up, but it was a super easy drive this time, and apparently has been lately.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 05:39 PM

Those maps are only part of the story. There is a very complex bunch of roads/tracks some of which are not seeing much use due to bottomless sand. Its suprr easy to make a wrong turn and end up having very damn little fun. Imo if i wanted to avoid burying a f350 , i would certainly have good nav resources. Its a very cool section, have fun.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 06:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ed26  
Driving note: Have a buddy that lives in San Juanico 4-5 months a year and came out the Ranch road about two weeks ago. Told me it was in great condition, so we gave it a shot (have always gone salt flats in the past). From San Ignacio town square to the San Juanico in 2 1/2 hours, and NOT pushing it. The road was in very nice condition (all things considered), and with the huge high tides last week, the flats were very wet. No telling if the road will hold up, but it was a super easy drive this time, and apparently has been lately.

what is the "Ranch road"?

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by ed26  

what is the "Ranch road"?

Yes, I would also like to know.
My maps show the low road (Salinas or salt flat road) and the government graded road or "High Road".

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 08:30 PM

What a gorgeous picture of the water!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2019 at 10:40 AM

In San Juanico the High Road is often referred to as the Ranch Road and the Low Road is referred to as the Salt Flats.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-29-2019 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nikno  
In San Juanico the High Road is often referred to as the Ranch Road and the Low Road is referred to as the Salt Flats.

would you go through Rancho El Patrocinio on Ranch road?

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.