Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Scorpion Bay info -driving from the North
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2019 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by Nikno  
In San Juanico the High Road is often referred to as the Ranch Road and the Low Road is referred to as the Salt Flats.

would you go through Rancho El Patrocinio on Ranch road?

This would be the road connecting Rancho Cuarenta to El Patrocinio, yes? It was used for the Baja 1000 not long ago.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Rufus T. Doofus

[*] posted on 11-29-2019 at 10:09 PM

We headed out earlier today from the La Heurta Hotel in San Ignacio towards San Juanico. The road is washed out and unpassable by any vehicles .5 km west of where the pavement ends. Looks like a section of culverts washed away with the recent rain. Looks like it's going to be a big project to get this road open any time soon.

We're hoping to get in to Scorpion Bay from the south if possible. Currently in Loreto and heading that way in a couple days.

[Edited on 11-30-2019 by Rufus T. Doofus]
Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2019 at 05:46 PM

Rufus: That's bad news. It will be very difficult for the communities south of there if that road does not get fixed soon, especially with whale watching season starting soon. Based on your description I tried to figure out where the washout is. Does this look about right?

26.936798, -113.075390

You can copy and paste the coordinates into Google Maps. Or do you have a more exact location?

I am heading down on December 14 with a group of doctors to run medical clinics in San Juanico and was planning on taking this route. Are you saying there is no way through from San Ignacio south/west? Did you ask the locals if there are any alternate routes?

Does anyone else have any current information about this situation?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2019 at 05:59 PM

If it was washed out just south of the end of the pavement, and north of the lagoon camps and the village, it is already fixed!
Washed out roads get detours or repairs immediately when a town like that is cut off.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2019 at 06:06 PM

That's what I'm thinking too. They need that road. I'm just going by what Rufus said. "Unpassable by any vehicles" and "a big project to get this road open any time soon".

If anyone has any pictures, please share.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2019 at 06:11 PM

Yes, thank you... I am also guessing that the end of the pavement is the same now as it was for me in 2017? Just before Km. 48, 30 miles from San Ignacio and 6 miles north of Pachico's whale camp entrance.

Rufus T. Doofus

[*] posted on 11-30-2019 at 09:37 PM

The first washout heading west was around km47/48. It's on a raised part of what was maybe a raised/graded dirt road. I parked and walked out 200 yards to where the road was washed out. I'd guess there was 60 to 70 feet of road missing with a good river of water flowing from south to north. Looks like the area is normally a salt flat. The road that day was a pile of rubble with no discernible surface.

There were two guys in a a government security pickup truck at the washout watching the water. I thought maybe I could make it in my old Land Cruiser. They said the water was 2 to 2.5 meters deep and there were a few other washouts after this one. Basically talking me out of something stupid and thinking I could head off into the water and make my own detour.

I don't know how long it would take for the mud to dry out in that area or for the water level to lower enough so they could repair it. Maybe that happens quickly. A detour onto the flat would be feasible with a layer of fresh stone and gravel. To replace what was lost at this first wash out would be a guess of 500 cubic yards of material or 45-ish tri-axle dump truck loads. I'g guess they can handle that fairly quickly for an emergency repair.
Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2019 at 10:18 PM

Thank you for the detailed update! That part of the salt flats is not great to drive on since it takes a long time to dry. Hopefully they can get some fill/gravel on there soon. I'm sure they will figure out a work around pretty quickly.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2019 at 06:50 AM

It could be this area. This wasn't far from the pavement.

DSC_0202_psd1 copy.jpg - 244kB
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2019 at 09:55 AM

If the "causeway" down to the lagoon is blown out, I figure the low road south of the bay on the flats will be a mudfest for some time as well, best to follow the tracks of the local fisherman to the south.

Maybe try the road south through Patrocino? Safe travels.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2019 at 04:12 PM

I hope Desert Bull chimes in as he seems to go that way often...
It was his post in 2018 that informed us that the "High Road" (Government Graded Road) was regraded and now the preferred and faster route over the typically popular "Low Road" (Salinas or salt flat route).
The low road was fine for me in August 2017, but I kept to the inland side of the flats.

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 08:20 AM

Road to the whale camps and Salt Flats is washed out still ...

High #1 road via El Patracinio - Rancho Cuantra was open and clear a few days ago. I posted the video from Rancho Cuantra to El Patricinio on the @xplorz_ Instagram page.

The high road via el patracinio begins off the paved section before the current wash out.

Expect the wash out to be repaired this week ... I’m told Whale Season officially opens Dec 21 ...

Lotta construction on the San Juanico road between Cadaje - Ballena area as the government is building bridges over / thru the water crossings ... it’s the beginning of the construction of the alleged paved road from San Ignacio to San Juanico likely time take 40 years.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 09:53 AM

Thanks, Tim.

Funny about the paved road to San Ignacio from San Juanico is that it was a proposed paved highway back in the '70s. It provides a shorter/ faster route between La Paz and the north. The town's of Santa Rosalia, Mulege and Loreto protested that they could lose valuable business if they were bypassed. So, the idea was shelved.

Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 11:16 AM

Thank you for the update Desertbull.

What do you estimate the current driving time is from San Ignacio to San Juanico via El Patrocinio?
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 12:47 PM

It was about 45 minutes longer in a well setup vehicle with off road suspension. I just did it and timed it ... you still have to cross some washes that are typical Baja standard off road stuff, but far worse than standard Baja graded roads ...

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 02:17 PM

Article on the temp fix, with pictures...

https://www.elsudcaliforniano.com.mx/local/restablecen-el-pa...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 02:20 PM

The rains were "epic" in sierra de san fran...

https://www.elsudcaliforniano.com.mx/local/llueve-intensamen...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 03:04 PM

Thank you. I will be passing through there in about 10 days. I will give an update on the repairs and any detours.
sledneck

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 05:55 PM

I passed through yesterday 12/4 left San Junico about 3pm, headed north solo. Road work in spots from Cadaje to the turn off to the the El Datil salt (mud) flats route. Lots of standing water in spots well before the flats. Got stuck in the mud once in the flats trying to go around standing water, nothing that a
Pacifico, shovel and al little patience couldn't handle. From what I could tell there were only one or two set of tracks ahead of me, I found that rather than going around the water spots looking for dryer ground (and sinking) was better to follow the tracks from the fishermen. through the water. Seemed to be much firmer there. I went through the repaired section just before the pavement at about 6pm. Lots of cows and horses after dark. I haven't seen Baja this wet in 30 + years, stoped to climb a hill and take a picture of Laguna Chapala full of water.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 06:02 PM

Please post the Laguna Chapala photo. I have some from BajaTripper taken the previous wet year (2010)... They come to the Californias every 7-12 years, it seems.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.