Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Missing
mscowpatty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 09:40 AM
Missing

Patti C Haynes Tania Salazar shared her first post.
New Member · 59 mins
WE NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET.
Good evening, there are four people missing in San Felipe.
They went out towards Valle Chico yesterday Sunday the 30th around 7 am and no one has heard from them since. The authorities have been informed and they are acting accordingly but there is still a lot we could help out with and time is of the essence.
Their names are Artemio Lopez Navarrete and his wife Sayra Ramona Mora Campos, Artemio's grandmother Herminia Guzmán and their friend Nicolás.
There were several search teams looking for them today, with no luck. PLEASE help us SHARE this post and let us know if you have friends who can help us locate them, drones or any other equipment that could help us find them ASAP. Friends and family wait for them back home, any information on how to proceed or who to contact to make the search more efficient is greatly appreciated. We would be very grateful if we could contact people who have helped in previous searches here in San Felipe.
THANK YOU
THERE WILL BE SEARCH PARTIES LOOKING FOR THEM TOMORROW, EXTRA HELP IS ALWAYS APPRECIATED AND NEEDED IN THIS CASES.

missing1.jpg - 32kB missing2.jpg - 35kB missing3.jpg - 36kB map.jpg - 18kB

[Edited on 7-2-2019 by mscowpatty]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 10:07 AM

are they driving?
are they walking?
what kinda car (also color) are they driving?

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 04:28 PM

https://www.facebook.com/TelevisaMexicaliCanal4/posts/129728...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mscowpatty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 05:18 PM

They were driving in the desert and got stuck. 3 of 4 were found earlier. Waiting confirmation on the 4th.

[Edited on 7-3-2019 by mscowpatty]
mscowpatty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 05:23 PM

https://www.lavozdelafrontera.com.mx/local/localizan-a-tres-...
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 07:48 PM

So the 4th was attacked by coyotes? And still missing? The article is not very clear about the coyotes or him being a fugitive, if I read that correctly.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 09:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
So the 4th was attacked by coyotes? And still missing? The article is not very clear about the coyotes or him being a fugitive, if I read that correctly.

https://www.lavozdelafrontera.com.mx/local/localizan-a-tres-...

"According to Sayra's testimony, on Monday afternoon she and her husband Artemino were hanging around this field, when they were suddenly surprised by the coyotes that surrounded them. She was able to climb to a bush in the area where she fainted, however, her husband could not, this being the last thing she knew about him. Sayra and Nicolás were transferred to a health center in the port of San Felipe, while Herminia was taken to clinic 30 of the IMSS of Mexicali."

Don't believe everything you think....
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 10:13 PM

Sad news: 1 deceased
from official Facebook webpage https://www.facebook.com/PrevencionAgresteBC/

2 de julio de 2019: Procuraduría General de Justicia del Estado de Baja California confirmó muerte de turista que estaba desaparecido desde este fin de semana en conjunto con otras 3 personas en zona desértica de Matomi, Ensenada. Nuestra nuestras más sinceras condolencias Q.P.D.

July 2, 2019: Attorney General of the State of Baja California confirmed the death of a tourist who had been missing since this weekend in conjunction with three other people in the desert area of Matomi, Ensenada. Our most sincere condolences Q.P.D. (RIP)
Artemio López Navarrete

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-3-2019 at 07:53 AM

please tell us how he died - so we can all learn from it

Harald Pietschmann
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2019 at 11:23 AM

My gosh, how sad. Lesson #1 TAKE WATER wherever you go. The three that were found alive were quite dehydrated.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-3-2019 at 12:17 PM

The lesson to learn from for 4x4abc is don't go out in temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius. ( 104 degrees) without lots of water and find shade.

The possible second lesson, is if chased by coyotes, you have to be able to jump the brush or fence to get away, especially if your wife made it, and you didn't.

Although I would like to hear more about the coyote story, and I wonder if this isn't just a vehicle breakdown.

He died walking in the desert of BC; is the second of the season

Artemio López Navarrete, originally from San Felipe, died in the desert area between Ensenada and Mexicali. His three companions were rescued alive in an operation of various rescue bodies on Tuesday afternoon.

TIJUANA.- A 36-year-old man became the second fatal victim of the season in expeditions to desert areas of the state, which by this time already exceed temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius.

Artemio López Navarrete, originally from San Felipe, died in the desert area between Ensenada and Mexicali after a failed family expedition that left three other people with severe dehydration.

After an intense search, on Tuesday, emergency bodies managed to rescue the three companions of Artemio, including his wife, a man of unspecified age and an older adult, who decided to enter the inhospitable area on Sunday, June 30. .

The four were reported as missing by their relatives, who hours later could not establish contact with them.

The fate of the passers-by, whose 2005 Ford Ranger truck broke down, was the Vallecitos region. On the way, the hottest period is between July and August, with up to 45 degrees Celsius.

The survivors were found in the Matomi camp on Tuesday afternoon by elements of the Navy, Municipal Police, the Attorney General of the State, rescue groups and firefighters of the port of San Felipe who conducted a localization operation.

Sayra, 24 years old and wife of Artemio, as well as the other two companions were located on the federal highway 3 of Ensenada; They presented signs of severe dehydration and were transferred to receive medical attention, only the woman identified as Herminia, 86 years old, was hospitalized in clinic 30 of the IMSS in Mexicali.

Hours later the lifeless body of Artemio was located. According to Sayra's testimony, she and her husband were together when they were surprised by coyotes. She climbed a tree to protect herself and lost consciousness and no longer knew of her husband.

From hiptex.com.mx/noticias

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-3-2019 at 12:23 PM

Dang!
Very sorry to hear.
You gotta take Baja seriuosly folks...
Prayers sent.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2019 at 07:53 PM
one of four did not survive

Made contact with buddy in San Felipe and here is what he had to say.
I specifically as what the word "field" had to do with the various news reports. No detail as to where the rig got stuck, but IMO I think it was a long way from Hwy 5. As many of you know there is deep soft sand west of the narrows. So the three did walk a very long ways in the 2 days. I suppose the rig is a side by side??
= = = =
Paul, They went into Matomi through Valley Chico.
First of all 4 door Ranger 2 wheel drive. A 24 old girl her husband 35 and two 86 year old. Just them. The fields had to be in V Chico. They had no business going out there with only one car. No supplies like water food or very little. I do not know how they got as far as they did. I was in there for the 250 and was 4 x 4 for sure. They left Sunday 7 am. No one was told they were missing till Monday late in the day. Then no real search till Tuesday morning. All the locals went to V Chico. The girl and 86-year olds were found about two klicks in from Hy 5 at KM 60 Matomi. Around 10 am. They found the guy around 2 pm. Military was on that end of the search. I think she was so dehydrated she did not really remember. My understanding is he left the group to find help knowing there was a pack of coyotes around. It is still not clear but am pretty sure the coyotes got to him from what I was told. Military did the recovery.
Clear they had no idea where they were going or doing.
Bad part is it was really two days before anyone did anything.
Should have never left the truck should have never split up. Truth they had no business being out there at all. Very sad. I had talked to his sister at one-point right after they found the girl and older couple. I was going to head in at the sulfur mine and back track in thinking he may have tried to come out that way but was told not to that they did not want any more people out there. All the people in V Chico had no idea that they had been found till they came in last night (Tues). S F needs to come up with a better way to handle these situations. I am thinking this is just going to get worse with all the UTVs now. People are pretty stupid in the way they think about the desert.

[Edited on 7-4-2019 by PaulW]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 02:18 AM

I do not believe the part about being "attacked" by coyotes.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I do not believe the part about being "attacked" by coyotes.

There may be some hope for you yet Chuckie!

I'm not convinced about the coyotes story either, and it seems like it was thrown in there, and it doesn't really fit into the whole story.

Maybe, that's the story one of the delusional victims of heat stroke repeated?

If you break down, or get stuck in the sand in the middle of nowhere with no water in over 100 degrees temperature. That's bad enough, but now you are being chased by coyotes in the middle of nowhere! How much bad luck can a group of people have?

And then one of the stories has one of the female victim's run away hop some brushes and then pass out cold, while the male who later was found dead couldn't clear the same hurdle?

It seems to be we need an updated correct version of what happened here, but so often in Mexican papers, there are no follow up stories, and we may never know what really happened with a first hand account .

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 04:20 PM

When I orginally read this post, I thought the "coyotes" were human smugglers, then realized they were referring to canines. I find it very unusual a pack of coyotes would attack and kill a human.

I am very sad for what this family went through and their loss, but something about the coyote part seems a bit off to me.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 06:35 PM

The whole thing is a bit confusing. They left San Felipe going to Ensenada and got lost on Hwy 3, and were found near Km 60 in Matomi. Ok I get they maybe weren't heading to Ensenada but a couple articles I've read reference Hwy 3 and they were found in the Matomi Field. Hwy 3 and Matomi are not really walking distance apart.

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 07:36 PM

I would just like to add that folks who are not savvy about the desert easily get into trouble. We have had so many get stuck in the sand in front of our house in La Bocana...one guy ventured out a second time on the same afternoon expecting a different result.

RIP

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 08:17 PM

San Felipe is at the southern end of the Mexicali municipality. Is Matomi in the Ensenada jurisdiction? I know that it is by far the largest municipality in Baja, and possibly the jurisdiction is being confused with their destination.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
San Felipe is at the southern end of the Mexicali municipality. Is Matomi in the Ensenada jurisdiction? I know that it is by far the largest municipality in Baja, and possibly the jurisdiction is being confused with their destination.

Could be but I have seen Hwy 3 mentioned twice now and Km 60 is about where Matomi is to the south.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.