BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Jim McCoy lands his copter at Baja Cactus (video)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 09:27 AM
Jim McCoy lands his copter at Baja Cactus (video)

https://www.facebook.com/alekbalayan1969/videos/102118505670...

Just 43 seconds... poor Alek has to protect the food he is making for the Trail of Missions guests!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 10:10 AM

Helicopters are great for emergencies
and the Rich and Famous

Not so wonderful for those of us on the ground subjected to the terrible cyclones of trash, grit and crud that get generated.

Shame on him for landing right there close to other people trying to go about their own business
Very selfish to aggressively invade others' space
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 10:18 AM

my what an extraordinary clip! :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 10:19 AM

Dick... He was part of the tour with the tv camera mounted and others onboard. He gets to eat, too. That lot is the only place to land and he has done it before.

[Edited on 7-4-2019 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
No, no... He was part of the tour with the tv camera mounted and others onboard. He gets to eat, too. That lot is the only place to land and he has done it before.

The meat on the bbq was seasoned with sand, dog feces, and whatever else was blowing in the wind :lol: yum!

Idea for tour operator: Move the bbq or find somewhere else in town to land :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 10:30 AM

You can bet that Alek covered it all. He is an awesome chef.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 10:54 AM

You can bet that Alek covered it all. He is an awesome chef.

I think the point here is that one guy is a good cook.....and the helo pilot is selfish and/or inconsiderate of others.....and could find another place to land.....doing such a landing repeatedly is not a really good defense/justification.

Don't believe everything you think....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 11:00 AM

now you know why the desert assassins wear their caps over their ears!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 11:10 AM

It's not a big deal to me, but I'm wondering, is just pulling up to the barbeque in your helicopter legal? Land anywhere you want?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 01:21 PM

Well, it was all pre arranged where the copter would land, so it wasn't a surprise or selfishness. Jim will not put down the copter where he or security can't see it, either.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 01:50 PM

When I get my helicopter...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

Maybe find a place that is more suitable and don't be a dick, seeing how this isn't the first time, and post a security guy there. At 7K per truck it's not like money is a big deal.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
fishbuck
Banned

How about making a helipad?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 01:59 PM

Well, it was all pre arranged where the copter would land, so it wasn't a surprise or selfishness. Jim will not put down the copter where he or security can't see it, either.

Pre-arranged so Helo Jim could keep an eye on his bird.... :rolleyes:

Hmmmm....lots of open fields in El Rosario within a block or two from the main esquina.....

So many flights in Baja and this is the best he can come up with?

But those guys with their ears tucked into their flat-beaked gangsta caps love it.....more of that desert assassin mentality...

Don't believe everything you think....
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 02:00 PM

Watch the background in the video, that downwash created pure havoc on the ground (as if a chopper jockey cares)

Only once did I make the mistake of being close to a landing chopper, and I picked grit and "stuff" out of my hair and teeth for days.

Once was enough
Land the damn thing off somewhere that does not impact those on the ground, especially an outdoor cooking setup.

As if that were the only level place in El Rosario to land......
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 02:26 PM

Looks fine to me. Since it was pre-arranged, that's where they wanted him to land. This is Mexico.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-4-2019 at 03:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Watch the background in the video, that downwash created pure havoc on the ground (as if a chopper jockey cares)

Only once did I make the mistake of being close to a landing chopper, and I picked grit and "stuff" out of my hair and teeth for days.

Once was enough
Land the damn thing off somewhere that does not impact those on the ground, especially an outdoor cooking setup.

As if that were the only level place in El Rosario to land......

Well, the only people that got sandblasted and got dirt/feces in their dinner were the redneck guests/staff of the knuckle-dragging tour the helicopter was part of, so all was karmic goodness! :lol:

Hey, it’s 4th of July, so let’s talk about trump’s taxpayer funded re-election rally currently sullying the mall and Lincoln memorial — I hear it will have helicopter gun ships the likes of which have never been seen in el Rosario! And sparklers! And big tanks! And massive weapons! And protesters!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2019 at 01:52 PM

He landed there many other times going back to the first Trail of Missions in 2014 when he fetched a new spindle for one of the Raptors broken near Punta Baja/Punta San Antonio. The parts truck was at Baja Cactus still.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-5-2019 at 01:53 PM

Very cool. Jim is the man!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-5-2019 at 01:58 PM

My concern would be rotor blade abrasion.
Bu if Jim isnt worried then neither am I.;)

[Edited on 7-5-2019 by fishbuck]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.