Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Luis Border crossing
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 07:25 AM
San Luis Border crossing

I’m going from San Felipe to Phoenix thinking of crossing at the San Luis crossing. This would be the first time crossing there, how is it there?

Attachment: text 3.txt (27B)
This file has been downloaded 163 times
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 07:33 AM

We have done this crossing for several years now. pretty easy most of the time and there is now a bypass from San Luis that goes around the east side of Yuma and connects with I8 a couple of stop lights on it but very little traffic.
we are very happy using this crossing..
some of our friends use Algodones just west of San Luis but I think there may be more traffic
good luck

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 08:01 AM

We cross at San Luis 5 or 6 times a year. Northbound we use the south lane which is the Sentri lane. Crossing time is 1-2 minutes. Algodones does not have a Sentri lane and can take up to 2 hours.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 08:30 AM

My experience with that crossing was the same as BajaRob, but that was five years ago! I still think you have a good plan crossing there.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-7-2019 at 07:13 PM

Weekends are a little slower, hour plus without setri pass
Lionel :cool:
1surfer

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 04:12 PM

How about south bound at San Luis ? I am heading to La Ventana from Colorado and that seems the most direct. Probably would take the E cutoff from I8.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 04:28 PM

1surfer, if you're in a hurry your best shot from CO is down I-25 to Hatch NM, take the cut-off to Deming, then west on I-10, take the I-8 interchange west to a bit over the CA border to Calexico/Mexicali and southbound there (if you're not hauling a big trailer).

The road from San Luis RC to Mexicali is kinda boring... if you're NOT in a hurry and wanna see better country get to Gila Bend AZ, go south to Sonoita then west on the Mex. hwy. Good scenery till you get to San Luis RC, then boring like I said.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chippy
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 1surfer  
How about south bound at San Luis ? I am heading to La Ventana from Colorado and that seems the most direct. Probably would take the E cutoff from I8.

Easy peasy. Take Araby rd. hwy 195. Southbound early mornings are best. By far the easiest crossing.
1surfer

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 05:10 PM

Just looking at a map, it seems like the San Luis road goes south and then intersects the same road that heads south from Mexicali. Headed to El Rosario then Guerro Negro. The san luis crossing looks shorter. Not in a super hurry but thought the crossing line in may be shorter. Looks like once in Mex you go south on 40 to 4 then south on 5. Maybe not that much shorter.

Just wondering what would be better. Mexicali or San luis in regards of crossing line time in general.
1surfer

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Easy peasy. Take Araby rd. hwy 195. Southbound early mornings are best. By far the easiest crossing.

That is what it looks like on the map. I like the sound of easiest crossing. That sort of what I am after
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 09:43 PM

Be careful of the roads that go south out of San Luis or Algodones, not the they are dangerous but they will go thru a lot of small towns with a lot of traffic, small markets on the side of the road and trucks. South out of Mexicali is very easy and there is for all intents and purposes, no wait in line, maybe a quick inspection but not any kind of line.

Inmigración for your Fmm is on the left heading in and there is a good easy parking lot right before you cross.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
1surfer

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 08:22 AM
San luis

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Be careful of the roads that go south out of San Luis or Algodones, not the they are dangerous but they will go thru a lot of small towns with a lot of traffic, small markets on the side of the road and trucks. South out of Mexicali is very easy and there is for all intents and purposes, no wait in line, maybe a quick inspection but not any kind of line.

Inmigración for your Fmm is on the left heading in and there is a good easy parking lot right before you cross.

So you are saying that I should consider going over at Mexicali because the drive south from there is easier ? less congested ?
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 08:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

So you are saying that I should consider going over at Mexicali because the drive south from there is easier ? less congested ?

You make good time west on I-8 then just a little town traffic thru Mexicali then it's fast all the way into San Felipe. If time is no big deal then the back roads are cool. Small towns, levee roads, farms and people to see. Often the road less traveled is cool but in this case for sure slower.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.