BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Clarification of "Something to Declare" on Entering Mexico...
ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 10:36 AM
Clarification of "Something to Declare" on Entering Mexico...

I'm bringing a new microwave into Mexico for my house. It is under the value where I would need to pay a duty, but then is it "declarable"? In other words, do I need to stop and declare it, though I will not owe a duty on it?

Not a big deal, just like to keep the boys and girls at the border happy. Don't mind stopping if it should be done.
ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 10:53 AM

And... then again - what is the reality of what the border folks want to bother with - smaller vs larger values?
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 10:56 AM

You have to report and there is plently of information on the internet that says why. It's better to look there than possibly get wrong information.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 10:57 AM

Mexican customs may wonder why you are not buying the microwave in Mexico to support business in your new country of residence?

Since you are not a tourist (as you have a home/ property that stays in Mexico), I would think the information on importing is in your residency visa forms or on a Mexico customs website?

Let us know what you discover!
Thanks.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 11:08 AM

Thanks for bringing this topic up.
I'm just going to drive thru and hope they don't care about some used furniture in the back of my truck.
A bait tank, big coolers...
So I will report back.
I am hoping it is below the limit or level of interest.
An clear plastic boxes of my clothes etc.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 11:09 AM

Cover it with your luggage and just go through.

In about 50 crossings, we've had them search the truck less than 5 mins total.

[Edited on 7-6-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 11:13 AM

David wrote: Mexican customs may wonder why you are not buying the microwave in Mexico to support business in your new country of residence?

Well... it is a specific microwave that the wife wants. Not particularly pricey - just a particular one. Not my "new country of residence" - been here a while, but never brought across a NEW small appliance.

Anyone here married? You know what I mean...
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 01:22 PM

I have a little convention toaster oven I love...
Bachelors best friend...;)

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ZipLine  
David wrote: Mexican customs may wonder why you are not buying the microwave in Mexico to support business in your new country of residence?

Well... it is a specific microwave that the wife wants. Not particularly pricey - just a particular one. Not my "new country of residence" - been here a while, but never brought across a NEW small appliance.

Anyone here married? You know what I mean...

If it was me, I would not declare it and just be ready to pay the 16%. Have your receipt so they cant assess their own value to it. There are times I have gotten a little "creative" with my receipt, but not on something with as little monetary value as a microwave. It was probably no more than 200.00US, right?

BTW, I understand loyalty to a specific type of microwave. I wont buy anything but an inverter model that converts AC to DC. Slow warming and/or defrosting is so superior with these models, because they actually vary the output of the microwave "transmitter", as opposed to simply using a timer to cycle an AC transmitter on and off of full power.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 02:19 PM

Hook has the correct answer. I flew into the Loreto airport once with $2K King shocks. Had an invoice ready for $599.

They didn't stop me. If it was the Hermosillo airport they would have stopped me for sure.

Spend a ton of money to support the MX economy, don't need to pee it away to the govt.

[Edited on 7-6-2019 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 04:19 PM

No. I didn't know the answer. That's what forums are for. Particularly a "Questions & Answers" forum.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 05:25 PM
Are the Good Old Days Really GONE ?

That's the problem with reform.

In those BETTER days, one could "import" with impunity knowing that (worst-case) corruption would see one through.

If devious concealment, forgery and misdirection failed, Mordida carried the day.

It was GREAT !

Speaking of misdirection, perhaps the best of my many such rewarding ventures was when I brought down a big fifty-buck boxed BBQ in the bed of my truck which immediately caught the guards attention.

And, saved my paying anything on the unboxed $2K Trace Inverter in the cab covered by a pillow that one of my dogs was laying on next to mi esposa's legs.

"Que es esto ? Que es esto ?"

" Un Asadero. Cinquenta Dolares".

"Ah, no problema. Adelante.

Those were the days.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Have your receipt so they cant assess their own value to it.

Not to say this is common, a guy equipped with receipts
for used stuff, Mex Customs pulled out their phones and
checked the internet price of his items, charged him the
16% of new

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

If it was me, I would not declare it and just be ready to pay the 16%. Have your receipt so they cant assess their own value to it. There are times I have gotten a little "creative" with my receipt, but not on something with as little monetary value as a microwave. It was probably no more than 200.00US, right?

BTW, I understand loyalty to a specific type of microwave. I wont buy anything but an inverter model that converts AC to DC. Slow warming and/or defrosting is so superior with these models, because they actually vary the output of the microwave "transmitter", as opposed to simply using a timer to cycle an AC transmitter on and off of full power.

Leave it to Hook, to tell someone to break the laws of Mexico, and not declare a microwave, because he hints the Mexicans will over value the item and over charge Zipline, and then Hook, adds how he gets creative( cheats) Mexico out of their fees. Yeah great job cheapskate.

Whatever happened to it's the LAW, it's the LAW! And always do the right thing?

It's a damn microwave oven which is probably worth about $200 dollars or so, and because it's worth more than $75 dollars, you have to declare it, because it's not some personal item that you would carry in your suitcase and a microwave is not listed as a household good you could bring over without declaring it or paying any fees.

It's another reason why I earlier recommended to Zipline, to look up the requirements on the internet, so he wouldn't be given any wrong information that would steer him in the wrong direction.

I have a feeling Zipline, already knew the answer, but he was looking for someone like Hook, to tell him just sneak it through, no problems.

Don’t declare. They rarely look. Take new electronics/ consumer goods out of their packaging, bury the under stuff.
Don’t worry, be happy.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 05:41 PM

Goat, you forgot to mention all the medical marijuana you also take south! :O

ZipLine: Never ever do that!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 07:31 AM

This is Mexico. There are rules. They may apply to you. The "system" has built-in flexibility. Everything if for sale. Past history concerning these types of concerns indicates that you have a very small chance of any inconvenience. There is no absolute answer to your question.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 09:18 AM

My advice, don't take advice about Mexico from someone who doesn't go to Mexico.

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 03:06 PM

Internet webpages can be way wrong.

You certainly make your own decision and take personal responsibility for it (as I certainly will), but only an idiot ignores experienced advice on the ground. I am assuming that's why this forum is here.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 03:51 PM

Here is some more friendly and lawful tips below:

A few friendly tips about what to take, and what not to

Do not try to take anything into Mexico that is prohibited or sneak in items that you should declare. It is just not worth the risk. Chances are, you are going to Mexico for an enjoyable vacation or to do some important business, neither of which is enhanced by seeing the inside of a jail cell or having your stuff and your car taken away.

https://www.mexadventure.com/mexico-travel/Items_Bring_Mexic...

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 03:58 PM

And... who is "mexadventure" and what are their credentials in the great "what to declare when crossing the border" debate?

Are they authorized government spokespersons? Can I sue them if their advice is not perfect? How do I know they are real and not just spouting an opinion? I don't want to be led astray... In fact, can I sue you if your advice to follow their advice is not perfect? Just want to cover my bases.

Love you, my friend.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.