BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Aeromexico still flying 737 max?
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 07:45 AM
Aeromexico still flying 737 max?

Aeromexico previously grounded their 737max aircraft. I wonder if they started flying again and if latest FAA announced max problems have affected them. Customer confidence in Boeing is falling.
Here is a link to what Fishbuck warned about previously.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/boeing-engineer-says-cor...
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 09:42 AM

Interesting opinion article.....not a surprise , really......standard corporate ideology.

Don't believe everything you think....
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 12:46 PM

Because nothing is more important than short term shareholder value. Issues like this sure can’t be helping value much.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 03:19 PM
The Bottom Line is ...............

........... The Bottom Line ?

Seriously, though, it's a FACT that proper pilot training and competent pilot reactions would most likely have avoided the (2) disastrous crashes given the many "incidents" that were handled. This entire grounding fiasco seems a potentially financially-ruinous gross over-reaction.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2019 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
........... The Bottom Line ?

Seriously, though, it's a FACT that proper pilot training and competent pilot reactions would most likely have avoided the (2) disastrous crashes given the many "incidents" that were handled. This entire grounding fiasco seems a potentially financially-ruinous gross over-reaction.

X2 from a career pilot
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-9-2019 at 09:48 AM
A question for pilots

Are the differences between the standard 737, and the Max significant enough that it should have undergone more thorough trials before being certified?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-9-2019 at 11:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Are the differences between the standard 737, and the Max significant enough that it should have undergone more thorough trials before being certified?

There ya go AK tryin to put regulations on free enterprise and disrupt the profit stream, those pesky certifications are expensive. We all know corporations left alone will in the end self regulate and all will be just fine, don’t we?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2019 at 12:00 PM

A more thorough training of the pilots on the system in question would have probably prevented the crashes.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2019 at 12:27 PM

Just telling the pilots that the system existed would have been a good start.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2019 at 05:33 PM
Ignorance is NOT Bliss ...........

........... When things are going awry in the sky.

A good link dating back to November 2018. It includes photos of the c.ockpit MCAS/Trim controls:

........https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-safety/what-is-the-boeing-737-max-maneuvering-characteristics-augmentation-system-mcas-jt610/
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 7-10-2019 at 09:09 AM

This problem is far more complex than some armchair pilots grant. As a pilot, I have been tested to the max with multiple problems with dire consequences for error. The grounding by Boeing is proof that their systems were a MAJOR factor. Better trained pilots with more experience may have handled things differently but let's not oversimplify and "with an air of superiority" blame it on pilot error.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Ron in BC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2019 at 08:25 PM

I agree. I belong to a flying club with a couple of Max 8 captains and an FAA Max 8 test pilot. My impression is that their skill and training would have let them have a better outcome. But it's still a big deal. Really amazing and shocking in some ways.

What a mess, hope the situation gets back on track but the repercussions and damage will be very long lasting.

Ron
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2019 at 08:40 PM

All Southwest Airlines airplanes are 737s, 34 are grounded, the most of any airline. I bet that eventually costs Boeing a bundle.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2019 at 08:59 PM

flight standards and training are to blame here. if the crew understood the system, we wouldn't be having this chat. too bad this blew back on Boeing. this is what happens when they sell a/c to underfunded airlines in developing countries.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2019 at 10:41 PM

Here is an example of the type of skills that are being taught and required to fly today’s modern aircraft. Unfortunately this has come at some erosion of the basic physical flying skills that are still necessary but less attention is directed today. This is becoming more recognized in the industry and is hopefully being integrated into the training. Here is a link to a ultra modern Lufthansa A380 landing at San Francisco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENe89j89tBA
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2019 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
flight standards and training are to blame here. if the crew understood the system, we wouldn't be having this chat. too bad this blew back on Boeing. this is what happens when they sell a/c to underfunded airlines in developing countries.

Well, I just knew someone from Seattle would pop up here to give us their uninformed opinion. Boeing is not just culpable here they are responsible. Fact is, the rush to compete with Airbus and do so without creating a new "type" was a management decision based on profit. Read the facts before you start waving the Boeing flag. Changes are being made. More problems are being found. People are dead because of corporate profit motives. Boing is in shame.

[Edited on 7-11-2019 by weebray]
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2019 at 07:44 AM

How the Boeing 737 Max Disaster Looks to a Software Developer

https://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/aviation/how-the-boeing-...

"I'm too young to be this old!"
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 08:36 AM

No one will actually read this article. I guess I've got too much time on my hands. But, if you did, you would see why Boeing is in shame. Not their fault, it's a corporate "merica" thing. When you pour the meal to her the computer takes over for the pilot. As a pilot I think that's a bad idea. Sure, there's a button.....
"Like someone with narcissistic personality disorder, MCAS gaslights the pilots. And it turns out badly for everyone. 'Raise the nose, HAL.'I’m sorry, Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that.' ”

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 08:57 AM

I read the article, twice.

I think this is where the author pins the blame:

"It is astounding that no one who wrote the MCAS software for the 737 Max seems even to have raised the possibility of using multiple inputs, including the opposite angle-of-attack sensor, in the computer’s determination of an impending stall."

His point being a failure of a single sensor would not initiate the nose down automatic command, as was the case, if there were multiple inputs.

People who write software do it as specified in the software requirements specification. The specification is written by senior engineers, not the folks doing the coding.

The fundamental blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the engineers that failed to specify a more robust, redundant system, which is typical of aircraft systems and could have been easily implemented since multiple sensors already exist.

IMHO

[Edited on 7-12-2019 by SFandH]

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 10:49 AM
OK - MCAS BAD !

Focusing on the design deficiencies of the MCAS system is NOT really the point. There is general agreement regarding that problem. Those deficiencies (including relying on a single sensor) do not change the FACT that flight crew awareness and training would have likely avoided the consequences of the failure.

Virtually, EVERY current Airliner design (Boeing and Airbus) have been found to have design deficiencies which were encountered and addressed during their respective duty-cycles. Assumptions made during design often didn't hold up in the real world. Most (but not all) were corrected without loss of life.

That loss of life has been an unfortunate (Unavoidable) fact of life since commercial aviation began and will continue.

Destroying Boeing won't accomplish anything other than boost Airbus at the expense of U.S. jobs. People will still die. Design errors will still occur. Maintenance and pilot errors will still kill far more passengers and crew than design problems. Deregulation and competition to fly the cheapest seat make cost-cutting de regueur. Especially, with third-world airlines more likely to cut corners in maintenance and expensive simulator time. The ONLY place where today's flight crew get to practice their skills.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.