Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: first road Santa Rosalia - San Ignacio
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-15-2019 at 03:52 PM

The lines on the maps I made are from satellite/ Google Earth. They closely align with Harry Crosby's maps, not the other way around. It proves two things, that they agree with historical records and that Harry's cartographer did a good job placing ECR where we can see it from space. The only difference is Harry has it going through San Francisco de la Sierra and the Canadian couple keep it west of there a couple miles.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2019 at 05:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Rancho San Angel is hard to miss - even back then
unless you find a dry year with less water in Laguna San Ignacio and take route #6
there are no known trails between the west route from San Ignacio to Santa Gertrudis and San Angel
west of San Angel there are several choices - but that is not where he got lost

I am lost

Join the club.. I would guess that right about where the "A" in San Angel is on your map is where North found the trail to San Ignacio. He mentions crossing an arroyo. Arroyo San Angel? After he left the fiesta with the pretty girls in Calmalli to go shoot an antelope (talk about misplaced priorities) he got lost in the Vizcaino and never found water until he got to San Ignacio after departing Ojo de Liebre.
Of more interest to me is that he said the route may have been used in 1849 during the California Gold rush as evidenced by old glass bottles he saw on the faint trial. This would be a little known footnote to history; sort of an "Oregon trail" in Baja. So, what would be the next water hole north of Ojo de Liebre without following the old Mission Trail? I can see on the BCA about a day's ride north a place called Laguna el Perdido (Lagoon of the lost) which might say something about the wisdom of taking a short cut across the Vizcaino. bajaric

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2019 at 06:05 AM

Harald and David,
On close examination of the KMZ file, while the lines Harald drew were very approximate I can plainly see valid tracks following those lines. Those tracks need to be examined on the ground. I bet is would be hard to follow some because many cross drainages that may be impassable.
Good effort Harald.

David, Delete all reference to GE and reinstall it, then restart and all will be well.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-16-2019 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Harald and David,
On close examination of the KMZ file, while the lines Harald drew were very approximate I can plainly see valid tracks following those lines. Those tracks need to be examined on the ground. I bet is would be hard to follow some because many cross drainages that may be impassable.
Good effort Harald.

David, Delete all reference to GE and reinstall it, then restart and all will be well.

I have recorded all visible tracks
they'll be available soon in a new digital Baja Almanac

I'll post/share some before that if you need them

hardest part is to determine is it an animal track (can be very wide), is it Camino Real (can be very narrow) or is it a driveable track (or has been driven in the past)

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-16-2019 at 10:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  

So, what would be the next water hole north of Ojo de Liebre without following the old Mission Trail? I can see on the BCA about a day's ride north a place called Laguna el Perdido (Lagoon of the lost) which might say something about the wisdom of taking a short cut across the Vizcaino. bajaric

the Vizcaino Desert has no permanent water source like Ojo de Liebre
north or south
Laguna de Perdido has seasonal water (rainfall) like the other thousands of lagunas and lagunitas in the Vizcaino
but none have year round water

first reliable water source away from the mountains here:
28°36'29.51"N, 114° 3'27.56"W
then here 28°43'24.85"N, 114° 5'35.51"W
and here 28°46'6.98"N, 114°10'20.46"W

the Sierras east of Vizcaino have plenty of water
Sierra Santa Clara to the south has some
the Sierras to the west have almost none

[Edited on 7-16-2019 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-16-2019 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Harald and David,
Good effort Harald.

I don't have a problem with GE. I may not be the person this answer is for?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.