Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Immigration checkpoints for undocumented migrants
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-11-2019 at 12:58 PM
Immigration checkpoints for undocumented migrants

Ron, over at "Talk Baja," is reporting that there will be new immigration checkpoints outside of Tijuana, and that all vehicles will be stopped and asked to provide proof of legal status. Ron, also states, if you don't have your FMM you will be turned over to the federal immigration authorities!

Well, if you actually read some of the Spanish newspaper articles, it doesn't exactly say what Ron, is saying, and clearly Ron, is adding to his interpretation of the article he is reading, and Ron, is leaving out what's behind these checkpoints and crackdowns.

The road blocks will be on the Tecate-Ensenada highway, and what they are looking for is migrants from Central America, on the order of the President of Mexico, who no doubt is trying to live up to the agreement with the US and Trump, to stop or slow the migrants from coming to the US. Of course, the migrants will still come, the Federal police, and especially the new National guard that's coming to town will probably not stop very many migrants from Central America, trying to go north.

But my point is that the Federal police, Military, or soon the National Guard, is probably not going to target Americans, crossing without a FMM, and then haul you in. If they haul you in for deportation, I will be shocked!

Ron in my opinion is engaged in scare tactics on his site, because he get upset when some of his members, claim like me, they often just drive or walk in without getting a FMM, which Ron, views as illegal, and will ban anyone who doesn't get with the program of always getting a FMM anytime in Mexico. ( strong censorship on that site)

During the last couple of weeks, many on "Talk Baja" had no clue that you're supposed to stop and get a FMM, and even some of my Mexican-American, friends who travel to Baja often by car, had no idea about any FMM requirements.

Now personally, I probably still won't get the FMM, since most of my trips by car are brief, or I walk in as a pedestrian, but that's just me, and thousands of others who have no idea you're supposed to stop and get a FMM.

The information is here, and as always do what you believe is right and lawful.

New immigration checkpoint outside of Tijuana

"All vehicles will be stopped and asked to show official identification... Anyone not able to provide proof of legal status in Mexico will be turned over to federal immigration authorities to be able to legalize their status in Mexico."

To help assist you in obtaining your FMM for travel into Mexico as a tourist you can now initiate the process online at:

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

Some of you have argued that you didn't obtain one in the past because you were simply "waved through".

Unfortunately, that will not protect you should you be stopped as those "waving you through" are not employed by immigration but are customs officials - just like at the airports where you have separate process lines for your visa and then another to check to see what you are bringing with you into the country.

I have no doubt that some of you will continue to slip through without getting caught but why take the risk?

https://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/estatal/reten-para-deteccion-...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2019 at 03:20 PM

Since you never go to Baja you don't need to worry.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-11-2019 at 08:14 PM
Never Fear - Don't Worry - Drive Happy .................

........... And BE LEGAL.

Immigration-wise, that is. It always worked for me.

Speaking of Checkpoints (in the USA today) ................... making one of my (usually) bi-monthly trips to El Centro this a.m., as I passed the Highway 86 Salton Sea checkpoint, the northbound lane was backed well beyond the one-mile ahead marker and vehicles were pulled over for inspections.

"GREAT", I said to mi esposa "it's going to be a pain coming back".

SO ................ coming back north in the late afternoon, I pull over a few miles early to unload my P-64 and throw it in the trunk before hitting the checkpoint.

EXCEPT, that the trunk release on the 2019 Nissan Sentra rental doesn't work. Dash release or remote. NO key release.

Cussing once more over newer car crap, I finally shutdown the vehicle and (standing directly behind the trunk) depressed the remote for a really long time and it opened.

Drove to the checkpoint. NO line. One vehicle in front of me and the agent waving us on from inside his air-conditioned kiosk.

116 degrees outside.

Drove a short distance, pulled off, hit the release, trunk popped right open. Reloaded my travel buddy.

F-cking Electronics.

JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Ron, over at "Talk Baja," is reporting that there will be new immigration checkpoints outside of Tijuana, and that all vehicles will be stopped and asked to provide proof of legal status. Ron, also states, if you don't have your FMM you will be turned over to the federal immigration authorities!

Well, if you actually read some of the Spanish newspaper articles, it doesn't exactly say what Ron, is saying, and clearly Ron, is adding to his interpretation of the article he is reading, and Ron, is leaving out what's behind these checkpoints and crackdowns.

The road blocks will be on the Tecate-Ensenada highway, and what they are looking for is migrants from Central America, on the order of the President of Mexico, who no doubt is trying to live up to the agreement with the US and Trump, to stop or slow the migrants from coming to the US. Of course, the migrants will still come, the Federal police, and especially the new National guard that's coming to town will probably not stop very many migrants from Central America, trying to go north.

But my point is that the Federal police, Military, or soon the National Guard, is probably not going to target Americans, crossing without a FMM, and then haul you in. If they haul you in for deportation, I will be shocked!

Ron in my opinion is engaged in scare tactics on his site, because he get upset when some of his members, claim like me, they often just drive or walk in without getting a FMM, which Ron, views as illegal, and will ban anyone who doesn't get with the program of always getting a FMM anytime in Mexico. ( strong censorship on that site)

During the last couple of weeks, many on "Talk Baja" had no clue that you're supposed to stop and get a FMM, and even some of my Mexican-American, friends who travel to Baja often by car, had no idea about any FMM requirements.

Now personally, I probably still won't get the FMM, since most of my trips by car are brief, or I walk in as a pedestrian, but that's just me, and thousands of others who have no idea you're supposed to stop and get a FMM.

The information is here, and as always do what you believe is right and lawful.

New immigration checkpoint outside of Tijuana

"All vehicles will be stopped and asked to show official identification... Anyone not able to provide proof of legal status in Mexico will be turned over to federal immigration authorities to be able to legalize their status in Mexico."

To help assist you in obtaining your FMM for travel into Mexico as a tourist you can now initiate the process online at:

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

Some of you have argued that you didn't obtain one in the past because you were simply "waved through".

Unfortunately, that will not protect you should you be stopped as those "waving you through" are not employed by immigration but are customs officials - just like at the airports where you have separate process lines for your visa and then another to check to see what you are bringing with you into the country.

I have no doubt that some of you will continue to slip through without getting caught but why take the risk?

https://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/estatal/reten-para-deteccion-...

i agree with you Joe. the approach by the moderators at Talk Baja is just bias and censorship. while they may claim that the reason comments are deleted is because they advocating breaking the law, i can say for a fact that just simply isn't true. the other day i posted a comment, which has since been deleted, that literally pointed out that the number of comments regarding the acquisition of the FMM was very distant from the number of comments regarding the consequences of not acquiring the FMM. it was an objective conclusion drawn from the post's allowed comments to clarify the real world level of importance Mexico has given to the FMM issue. yet as informative, matter-of-fact and non advocating as my comment was, that too seemed to be against the rules. meanwhile an untrue comment such as: "All vehicles will be stopped and asked to show official identification... Anyone not able to provide proof of legal status in Mexico will be turned over to federal immigration authorities to be able to legalize their status in Mexico." is allowed? (i say untrue because just imagine how logistically impossible it would be to stop all vehicles, ask everyone for official identification, and/or turn over everyone who is not able to provide proof of legal status)
in fairness, Ron did state that mistakes are made and that discussions including people's experiences can be had which may indicate a change in the right direction. and while many people on this forum may be laughing at my conclusion and the prospect of which it states, i cannot in good conscience stay silent on the topic of censorship, especially not in this day in age. it has been pointed out to me, in a futile attempt to dismiss my viewpoint, that this group may not be for certain people and i continue to object with this... while Talk Baja may be owned and/or moderated by a select few, the participation, discussion, platform, and hell even the topic itself belongs to us all, for what is a talk group without the voice of its members.

[Edited on 7-12-2019 by JohnGaltSpeaking]

[Edited on 7-12-2019 by JohnGaltSpeaking]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-13-2019 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JohnGaltSpeaking  

i agree with you Joe. the approach by the moderators at Talk Baja is just bias and censorship. while they may claim that the reason comments are deleted is because they advocating breaking the law, i can say for a fact that just simply isn't true. the other day i posted a comment, which has since been deleted, that literally pointed out that the number of comments regarding the acquisition of the FMM was very distant from the number of comments regarding the consequences of not acquiring the FMM.

it was an objective conclusion drawn from the post's allowed comments to clarify the real world level of importance Mexico has given to the FMM issue. yet as informative, matter-of-fact and non advocating as my comment was, that too seemed to be against the rules. meanwhile an untrue comment such as: "All vehicles will be stopped and asked to show official identification... Anyone not able to provide proof of legal status in Mexico will be turned over to federal immigration authorities to be able to legalize their status in Mexico." is allowed? (i say untrue because just imagine how logistically impossible it would be to stop all vehicles, ask everyone for official identification, and/or turn over everyone who is not able to provide proof of legal status)

in fairness, Ron did state that mistakes are made and that discussions including people's experiences can be had which may indicate a change in the right direction. and while many people on this forum may be laughing at my conclusion and the prospect of which it states, i cannot in good conscience stay silent on the topic of censorship, especially not in this day in age. it has been pointed out to me, in a futile attempt to dismiss my viewpoint, that this group may not be for certain people and i continue to object with this... while Talk Baja may be owned and/or moderated by a select few, the participation, discussion, platform, and hell even the topic itself belongs to us all, for what is a talk group without the voice of its members.

I'm sorry John, that you had a bad experience with censorship regarding the FMM at "Talk Baja. At the end of the day, it's Ron's site, and him and his trigger happy moderators can delete all the post they want that they find offensive, but they can't come over here on "Baja Nomad" and delete the posts here, and I know they are reading this site.

As you say, " it was an objective conclusion drawn from the post's allowed comments to clarify the real world level of importance Mexico has given to the FMM issue."

That's all I'm really doing, is giving a real world objective of what happens when foreigners( Americans) drive over the US/Mexico border for brief stops on the Baja site within 100 miles of the border.

Not only do most of the travelers not stop and get FMM, but I believe that half the tourists and even some of the ex-pats, have no idea it has been a requirement now for a few years.

Even after Ron, was issuing all these threats of banning members, who say things like 'Oh I cross all the time and do not get a FMM, or they just wave me through, without filling out a FMM." A few days later, many "Talk Baja" members, were asking about the FMM, and when did it become mandatory, because it's the first they are hearing about it? In other words, many "Talk Baja" members had no clue about the FMM!

But according to Ron, and it's just Ron, if you get stopped at a check point, the federal cops, military or new national guard, is going to ask for you FMM, and if you don't have it, they are going to haul you in, turn you over to federal immigration authorities to prove your legalized status.

This I have to see, since so many foreign tourists, are not members of "Talk Baja" and have no idea of any requirements, nor are there any procedures in place to check every car that enters the US/Mexico border.

If I have a message for Ron, good information about the check points, but leave the scare tactics at home, and if you want to censor posts, why don't you censor all the posts with wrong or unsubstantiated information.

For example, at Talk Baja they have members who claim, if you get into a car accident and do not have a FMM, the insurance company will not pay and it's in the fine print of the contract.

OK, my question would be "show me the fine print where it says exactly that."

I also hear on "Talk Baja" if you drive without a FMM, and get stopped your car with get confiscated!

Ok, my question is, "show me where it says that."

Here is a post from "Talk Baja, where a ex-pat has been living in Baja for 30 years, and had no idea about the FMM, but got it for the first time. Now they are telling her, she has to turn the FMM in on the way out of Baja! Yeah, but where?

Now take out your score card and see who is right or wrong about the FMM having to be returned:

Lisa McCollom wrote: Ron Gomez Hoff ....just got my first seven day FMM in the 30+ years I have been coming down last January. Crossing back into U.S. via Mexicali, it is not easy to find the building to turn them in, but eventually we did. Only seven day FMM have to be turned in....from now on, I will pay for the six month. It does not have to be turned in.

Bill Sobel Lisa McCollom the 7 days don’t need to be returned when driving

Gloria Brennan Spink Bunker Ron Gomez Hoff haha. No place to surrender as yet

Lisa McCollom Bill Sobel .....that is not what they told me when I got it, nor when I dropped it off on my return. I was told the seven day has to be returned and the 180 day does not....told by officers on both ends of the trip.

Bill Sobel Lisa McCollom they misspoke. It’s unfortunately common. They definitely do not need to be nor has any infrastructure been built to handle the flow of people that would entail.

Ron Gomez Hoff Lisa McCollom welcome to Mexico...
_________
JJJ comments:

Nice answer Ron, but Lisa has been in Mexico for 30 years, but you seem to think you have all the answers anything Baja.

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2019 at 09:44 AM

Joe, do you bother to take the time to get an FMM while travelling throughout mainland Mexico by automobile?
I'm not asking to get a response as to the should or should not reasons why, it's just a simple question.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-13-2019 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
Joe, do you bother to take the time to get an FMM while travelling throughout mainland Mexico by automobile?
I'm not asking to get a response as to the should or should not reasons why, it's just a simple question.

KasloKid, nice trick question by mentioning mainland Mexico.

Sorry, but I usually only travel in Baja by car, where you don't need a "Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit (TIP)

It also depends where I''m traveling and how long I will be in Mexico.

A car ride to Rosarito, no I won't get a FMM.

A pedestrian day trip to Tijuana, only if they insist on giving me a FMM, which they usually don't as they wave me right through.

An airplane ride to Cancun or Cabo, yes, it's already paid for from the fees of my airline ticket.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2019 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Since you never go to Baja you don't need to worry.

Hey, you stole my line!

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2019 at 11:05 AM

Sorry, but I usually only travel in Baja by car, where you don't need a "Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit (TIP)

A pedestrian day trip to Tijuana, only if they insist on giving me a FMM, which they usually don't as they wave me right through.

An airplane ride to Cancun or Cabo, yes, it's already paid for from the fees of my airline ticket.

Your Gringo arrogance shows.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-14-2019 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Your Gringo arrogance shows.

Norte, it's unclear who you are talking to because you quoted both me and KasloKid.

You must be talking to Kaslokid, because I'm not a gringo.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-14-2019 at 12:19 PM

Here is another "Talk Baja" post to illustrate a point.

Have you ever wondered why there is not a long line in the INM office, since your required to get a FMM when you enter Mexico/Baja by car?

It's because most foreigners don't bother to stop and get a FMM, either because they don't know the requirements, they believe Mexico is not enforcing the FMM, thinking it's a free zone, or they just don't care.

I'm just keeping it real, and telling you the current conditions. Now if you want to jump up and down, a say YOU NEED TO STOP AND GET THE FMM BECAUSE IT'S THE LAW.....IT'S THE LAW! You can do that, but most people traveling to Mexico by car are not listening to you.

From Talk Baja: ""Mary Harrell Patrick, coming from San Diego, the west port is my favorite. 111 ends and you go right at last duty free. 2 lanes go right, use the left one entering the gates to Customs. Just as you enter, on your left is a big white building with its own parking is INM office. Park, go in, go left to INM desk, pay and get your FMM. So easy, never any wait. Get back in your vehicle and pass through Customs gate."

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2019 at 12:27 PM

Joe, it's not a trick question.
I'm guessing you don't know the fact that there are places you can drive in mainland Mexico without a TIP for your vehicle,,,, map posted below: (sorry for the double pic... can't seem to delete one of them)
The question (modified) remains: do you or would you drive in the TIP free zone in mainland Mexico without stopping to get an FMM?

[Edited on 7-14-2019 by KasloKid]

TIP Free Zone.jpg - 46kB TIP Free Zone.jpg - 47kB

[Edited on 7-14-2019 by KasloKid]
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2019 at 02:01 PM

See it was a trick question, and KasloKid, but my answer remains the same.

Joe, in your mind you see my question as a trick question. Explain please.. I'm not seeing it as such nor would anyone else for that matter.
You're dodging the question of getting an FMM in mainland Mexico, in a TIP free zone. Would you or not?
Just answer the question.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 7-14-2019 at 03:36 PM

Joe, in your mind you see my question as a trick question. Explain please.. I'm not seeing it as such nor would anyone else for that matter.
You're dodging the question of getting an FMM in mainland Mexico, in a TIP free zone. Would you or not?

Quit with the trick questions, and I already answered you.

Now don't try to confuse the issue, when I talk about not personally getting the FMM, it's quick day trips, as a pedestrian, or in my car probably not more than 100 miles from the US border, otherwise I will take a commercial airline.

If I go drive deep into Baja which I do once every blue moon, I will get the FMM, I don't travel in mainland Mexico by car, so getting a TIP is a moot point for me.

JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 7-14-2019 at 08:36 PM

what a strange attack. it sounds too stupid to be anything but personal, but just in case...
credibility has no correlation whatsoever with objectivity. what's the difference what anybody is as long as the information is correct? a mexican could be 100% wrong about information regarding mexico, while an englishman could be 100% right. the best gynecologists in the world are men and obviously do so without the "goods". if you show me a math problem solved with a calculator, does it matter who pushed the buttons? the examples could go on and on but at the end of the day, if you are right you are right.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2019 at 10:24 PM

Quit with the trick questions, and I already answered you.

Now don't try to confuse the issue, when I talk about not personally getting the FMM, it's quick day trips, as a pedestrian, or in my car probably not more than 100 miles from the US border, otherwise I will take a commercial airline.

If I go drive deep into Baja which I do once every blue moon, I will get the FMM, I don't travel in mainland Mexico by car, so getting a TIP is a moot point for me.

If anyone is trying to confuse the issue, it sure as hell isn't me.. but you seem to be pretty good at it by not only labelling my post as "trick question(s)" but talking about chit that has nothing to do with a simple question.
It has nothing to do with getting a TIP which you called a moot point, it has everything to do with getting an FMM.

I'm starting to think that you never drive anywhere further than a couple of miles past the border into Mexico, but yet you dispense advice and offer opinions as if you do. Your comment "or in my car probably not more than 100 miles from the US border" and using the word "probably" gives you away as being a poser. I smell a bona fide bullchit artist at work here.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 7-15-2019 at 07:18 AM

Just wasted 5 min. here reading this drivel. Who really cares if JJJ goes to Baja or not. He's just having fun stirring the pot. This is a great place to bring the reactionaries out of the woodwork. Is it a requirement that you travel in Baja to contribute? I think not. Move along folks, nothing going on here.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-15-2019 at 08:10 AM

Pardon me for interrupting the usual racist attacks on JJJ .

"na·tion·al·i·ty
/ˌnaSHəˈnalədē/

noun: nationality; plural noun: nationalities

the status of belonging to a particular nation.
"they changed their nationality and became Lebanese"
synonyms: citizenship; the right to hold a passport
"individuals seeking British nationality"
archaic
distinctive national or ethnic character.
"the change of a name does not discard nationality"
an ethnic group forming a part of one or more political nations.
"all the main nationalities of Ethiopia"
synonyms: ethnic group, ethnic minority, tribe, clan, race, nation..."

I believe JJJ is a legal citizen of the USA.....so that is his "nationality".....his ethnicity/race is not an issue except for the knuckle-dragging mouth breathing racists .

As for the "Pic in Baja" logic ....WTF ?

I have spent long periods of time in Baja without taking a selfie or having others take a picture of me....does that mean I have never been there?

The line "No pic? It didn't happen..." is generally used in a joking manner....here, some folks take it literally.

Tales gilipollas :rolleyes:

Don't believe everything you think....
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-15-2019 at 04:40 PM

Hey, Kid..... why do you still like feeding the piranha? You guys crack me up; it feeds on fresh flesh, and you still continue to slash your wrists. If there's no blood in the water, the vermin swims away to feed on fresh meat.

If folks wouldn't feed the trolls they'd stay under the bridge, QUE NO??? :light:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2019 at 05:00 PM

bajabuddha Sí tienes mucha razón. Thanks!
Gotta admit though, it's fun poking at a poser. :biggrin:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.