Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Buying prescription drugs in Mexico for use in the US
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2019 at 10:36 AM

We regularly cross with Spiriva (tiotropium) an inhaler loaded drug for my mother in laws COPD. Yes she has a prescription and no we do not have a copy of it. We also bring back bp meds. Spiriva is one third the price of the meds cost in CO and we ship it to her ups. Bp meds are cost equivalent but more convenient to purchase in Mexico.

We always declare the meds and have never been questioned about them. Learned a long time ago to clean up the rig, give away food items and declare the booze and meds.

In Ensenada Cosmos Farmacias is the best we have found.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2019 at 10:46 AM

Don Jorge,

More than a month's supply? What quantity?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2019 at 10:59 AM

The Spiriva is about $35 for 18 doses and we normally bring back a two + month supply at a time, about four packages.

Always declare and never a problem.

[Edited on 7-17-2019 by Don Jorge]

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2019 at 04:10 AM

Don't forget your Prozac.

Making America Great Again
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-18-2019 at 07:54 AM

I used Canadian pharmacies before, but like you say, "These canadian pharmacies are really not a pharmacy in the usual sense as all they do is act as an intermediary to have drugs shipped from foreign sources," and those foreign sources are usually from India.

I have not had any problems with prescription drugs from India, and they are cheaper than even Mexico, however, I could see how some people are concerned about the quality of the drugs, since it has been reported some meds are really filled with things like wall plaster.

My only concern with meds from India, is that after you order them, they hound you with emails and phones calls non stop for you to order more pills, and sometimes they pass your number around to other foreign pharmacies.

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Suggest using a canadian pharmacy*.
Choose one of the Canada places by using "Pharmacy Checker". Pharmacy Checker lists any drug and allows anyone to do price comparison between various canadian pharmacies. Then compare your price from medicare part D. Then the Pharmacy will arrange to have the drug shipped from a drug maker in the other side of the world and delivered to your USA USPS mail box. Yes the US govt says that is illegal, but they continue to look the other way. In the last 5 years I have had one order confiscated and the Canadian pharmacy immediately reordered at no charge to me and the order arrived shortly to my mailbox.
Why I do this is because I cannot get what I need from a Mexican pharmacy and therefore I cannot compare prices.
I cross the border with around a 3 to 6 month supply going both ways and I do not declare and so far no problems.
* These canadian pharmacies always require a prescription from a US Dr. These canadian pharmacies are really not a pharmacy in the usual sense as all they do is act as an intermediary to have drugs shipped from foreign sources (in fact some sources are from canada). These foreign sources have licenses to produce the drugs from the US company owning the US patient and they have lower prices because the country where they reside has different laws for drugs. Thus the price is defined by competition with other drug producers. So far the all my drugs are delivered from a foreign source to the UK at a USPS facility then sent to the US as usual.

So comparing medicare part D MY price to my canadian source I find lower prices anywhere from 2% for generic to 1500% for patented. The end result is no hassle and great cost savings. Caveat - You cannot use the Internet from Mexico (unless you have a US VPN). Thus I have to call from Mexico to get my meds.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2019 at 08:36 AM

Before my prescription plan started covering omeprazole (sold over the counter as "Prilosec"), I would buy the biggest quantity I could in Todos Santos and put it in my carry-on. They covered it at a subsidized price for awhile, but dropped it and some 80+ other medications in 2018 (see this article). It seems like I'll be resorting to the "Baja Connection" once again. Giving up spicy food is not an option. :cool:

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-18-2019 at 03:07 PM
Costco has an inexpensive generic OTC for Prilosec

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Before my prescription plan started covering omeprazole (sold over the counter as "Prilosec"), I would buy the biggest quantity I could in Todos Santos and put it in my carry-on. They covered it at a subsidized price for awhile, but dropped it and some 80+ other medications in 2018 (see this article). It seems like I'll be resorting to the "Baja Connection" once again. Giving up spicy food is not an option. :cool:
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2019 at 05:29 PM

I guess my follow-up question would be this: is it legal for me to buy Omeprazole in Mexico and bring it with me to the U.S.? Does the answer depend upon the quantity?

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2019 at 06:22 PM

I guess my follow-up question would be this: is it legal for me to buy Omeprazole in Mexico and bring it with me to the U.S.? Does the answer depend upon the quantity?

You need to find the answer on the CPB website. I wouldn't trust any other source.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-30-2019 at 06:29 PM

The rules can sometimes be confusing because they are coming from two US agencies.

But I believe as long as the prescription drugs are not controlled drugs and they are for your personal use. The CBP will let pass because they are not in the business of denying your medications, althought in some cases it may be technically against the rules to cross with certain drugs.

I try not to be caught up in the RULES the RULES and instead look at the practice of what's going on in the real world.

I have never had problems crossing back into the US with prescription drugs brough in Mexico, although a few times I have been asked if I have a prescription? i tell them no and I'm still allowed to cross.

I would never try to buy controlled drugs in Mexico and then come back over the border.

What are the rules for bringing medication across the border?

There are two different government agencies that oversee importing medications — U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). They have slightly different rules about prescription drugs.

The CBP appears to allow up to 50 doses of a medication without a U.S. prescription. However, that doesn’t mean you can cross into the U.S. with just anything. You cannot bring back narcotics of any class, and marijuana, though legal in some states, is not legal at the federal level. In addition, they must be drugs that have already been approved for distribution in the U.S.  In other words, if you can’t get them in an American pharmacy, you can’t bring them into the country.

The FDA has a slightly different perspective. Their guidelines are based more on a three-month supply, or 90-days. The FDA requires that you have a valid prescription and the drug is legal in U.S. You can also apply to the FDA to import medications that the U.S. doesn’t currently have on the market. Keep in mind that you’ll need pre-approval. They use “discretion” under certain circumstances that include:

Products used for serious conditions that don’t present a “significant health risk”

Drugs that aren’t available in the U.S. and do not pose a serious health risk

For practical purposes, the confusion for people trying to just save a little money seems to be between buying 50 or 90 doses.

[Edited on 7-31-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2019 at 08:23 PM

I bought two bottles a couple of months ago and brought it back. I declared it and everything else that I bought, and had no problems at the border.

[Edited on 7-31-2019 by tjsue]
ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2019 at 09:28 AM

My experience after many crossings over six years....

Only once was I even asked about Rx medications (at Tecate and I had none with me) and was given a stern warning that I would need a doctor Rx with me. So... now when I carry meds (for a more than a day visit to the USA) - i go to Farmacia Similares - and pay the doctor maybe 50 pesos (the going rate) - explain what I need - s/he smiles and understands that I have to obey stupid laws - and writes out an Rx for what I will be taking with me. I carry that script with me.

But... I have never been stopped again or asked about meds again in the years since that came up.

If you are carrying something suspect (a buzz providing pain killer in a large quantity, for example) - it might be more of an issue, but if you are carrying something simple like metoprolol (blood pressure medication) or similar - I doubt anyone really cares.

I think the worst you would get would be a stern tongue lashing from a constipated border guard who thinks you look like the guy his wife ran away with yesterday :-) - and most would just smile and send you on your way. Really... they are just humans with a difficult job. If you go into it with a respectful attitude and nice smile - it works out just fine - 99.9% of the time.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2019 at 10:19 AM

Carrying any scheduled drug purchased in Mexico could get you in trouble.

Examples:

Schedule 1: marijuana, heroin, LSD, ecstasy, and magic mushrooms
Schedule 2: cocaine, meth, oxycodone, Adderall, Ritalin, and Vicodin
Schedule 3: Tylenol with codeine, ketamine, anabolic steroids, and testosterone
Schedule 4: Xanax, Soma, Darvocet, Valium, and Ambien
Schedule 5: Robitussin AC, Lomotil, Motofen, Lyrica, and Parepectolin

https://www.vox.com/2014/9/25/6842187/drug-schedule-list-mar...

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-3-2019 at 11:13 AM

A habit I tried to form years ago, is to take off my sunglasses when talking to someone when communication is important!

I started doing it when I was a ski patroller responding to injury or rescue situations, and I believe that eye contact helped relieve some of the stress for the patient.

It seems to help at traffic or inspection stops, and I do this on both sides of the border!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 10:49 AM

AKgringo is right. Taking off your sunglasses is just polite. Open front AND back windows so they can see in your car. If you make their life easier, they make YOUR life easier. It's just common sense.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 11:22 AM

If I actually had something to hide, I believe I would keep the sunglasses on. I know from the poker games that we had when I was working out at the end of the Aleutian Islands, that I can't bluff worth a shift!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.