Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: July 4th quick turn around
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2019 at 05:42 PM
July 4th quick turn around

After not having ventured south for 2years or so I made a quick trip down to BOLA. Left July1st and stopped at the much improved San Ysidro crossing to get my free seven day permit using passport card. Then it was the mandatory stop at Taco stand El Trailero at around K100 before entering Ensenada.
Ensenada has really grown . Stopped at Walmart to get some rib eyes from Sonora. they were quite good and were about $4.99 US a pound. The road going toward Santo Tomas is being worked on quite a bit. Lots of work going on to cut into the mountain side of the road to widen and in some spots straighten out the road. There was a half an our wait at a point passed the inspection point on the mesa that was built awhile back. The inspection area is operational now. You waited a half hour because the road was down to ONE lane only for traffic going both ways. I haven't waited so long for a non water related road issue in baja in a long while. The wait also repeated itself on the way back. They seem to be working that area 24/7.
The drive into the costal area of San Quintin was as per normal
Straight shot but you have to be wary of traffic both auto and pedestrian. There were no inspection points that bothered to stop you on the way down. Just back up. Stopped at Tacos El Rosario to have a Quesa Taco and a torta. Real good stuff.

The winding road up from El Rosario was about the same. Once on the plateau the road was mostly good with no real bad pot holes at all. They must have been all filled in after the last rain because I could see all the patches.
The big surprise was the new store across the street of the Hotel Catavina that was bought out by Los Pinos I believe.
They are like a 7/11 with a larger minimarket . Coffee lates and even a grill. There promises to be a large gas station adjacent as the pumps are already installed and waitng for ? to get going.
I suppose That may be the end of road side gas out of a barrel.
The town seems to be growing a bit.
Rolled into BOLA and gassed up first thing you never know if you will have gas on the way out. They had just had a big fishing
tourney that wiped out a bunch of supplies Seems that ice was real scarce the week before. I only got to fish one day as everyone was booked and I happened upon a cancellation.
Fished the 3rd of July and made mackerel by the Big yacht.
Went out to fish and my partner and I were getting broken off
on live bait. We were fishing dropper loops and live macks.
Switched up to fly lined macks but the breezing yellow were not hitting. The guide suggested iron. Used the trusty old Blue and white Salas. He said every one put on a jig and cast. He was going to release all the live macks left in the bait tank and said that we should all hook up in the ensuing melee. Just as spoken we all hooked up. Got our Mexican limits of five apiece on the iron. There is a real presence at the launch ramp of inspectors to make sure that you have your license, Biosphere permission and the legal amount of fish. Not so much if you return late say, 2 or 3 o clock , but why risk it.

Returned to the USA and a horrendous 3 hour San Ysidro wait on July 5th listening to numerous never ending reports of earthquakes. Did not feel a thing but it sounding like Bahia Asuncion a few years back with all the quakes.
Going to tray and return for Dorado later in the year. The weather was not as hot as per usual. There was actually fog or low lying clouds in the early morning.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2019 at 06:34 PM

Cool report, any pictures? I love BOLA.....
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2019 at 08:00 PM

Thanks for reporting. Sounds like some great fishing down there now!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2019 at 06:34 AM

Thanks for the report!

Making America Great Again

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.