Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Big gas can
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2005 at 03:23 PM
Big gas can

Twice in the past week I have bought a single gallon of gas in Loreto, once at each Pemex. Both times those guys were able to squeeze over 6 liters into a certified 1-US-gallon plastic jug. 36+ pesos per gallon is more than just an oops in my opinion. Unless somebody has been messing with the math, there are 3.75 liters in a US gallon. Am I missing something? I mean besides the bucks.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2005 at 03:34 PM

No. :lol:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-19-2005 at 03:46 PM

they are probably getting to you . but you must also understand that the plastic can is designed to hold one gallon with a healthy air space at the top. usually about 20 %. and also those cans git bigger after you use them a few times. I once had 4 5 gallon cans that would hold 7.5 gallons after a year of use. next time take a 2 liter coda bottle in and have them fill it and you will embarrass them.:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 3-19-2005 at 03:49 PM
You are assuming...

that a 'Baja' liter is equal to a genuine liter....WRONG, frequent Baja travelers know that a 'Baja' liter can be anywhere from 4/gal even up to 8 or 10/gallon - it just depends on whose pump it's coming from and who's doing the pumping!

Seriously though, I wonder if reporting these incident's to a Tourist Agency in Baja of in Mexico City would do any good. If enough reports (complaints) were reported, someone might begin to get the message...or not, who knows.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-19-2005 at 06:19 PM
Gas crooks

We bought gas a few times in the pre-pavement days at the old Gonzaga junction just North of Chapala.
The guy would only sell you five gallons at a time..... out of his can..... and he had seriously stepped in the middle of the can some years back.
Best guess was it would hold about 3 real gallons, but you got charged for 5.
We named the place "Ripoff Junction"
Still call it that today, even though the site is long gone.
(on the other hand, when you are smooth outta gas, 3 or 5 is a real good deal...)

Baja Arriba!!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2005 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I once had 4 5 gallon cans that would hold 7.5 gallons after a year of use.

Bruce, are you a fisherman?:lol:

Unless the can was made out of a hefty bag there ain'tnoflockinway.;D

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2005 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I once had 4 5 gallon cans that would hold 7.5 gallons after a year of use.

Bruce, are you a fisherman?:lol:

Unless the can was made out of a hefty bag there ain'tnoflockinway.;D

they looked pregnant after an hour in the sun.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2005 at 09:18 AM

I agree with Mexray. I have given this advice in the past on this forum, and practiced it too! It works. In the Tulume and Cozelmel area.....there are problems. This number helps: Mexican Tourism: 800-44-MEXICO

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
that a 'Baja' liter is equal to a genuine liter....WRONG, frequent Baja travelers know that a 'Baja' liter can be anywhere from 4/gal even up to 8 or 10/gallon - it just depends on whose pump it's coming from and who's doing the pumping!

Seriously though, I wonder if reporting these incident's to a Tourist Agency in Baja of in Mexico City would do any good. If enough reports (complaints) were reported, someone might begin to get the message...or not, who knows.
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2005 at 09:35 AM

A friend of mine owns some Pemex stations in Mexicali - he says that with all the restrictions Pemex puts on owners (like having to stay open 24 hours - and getting robbed in the process) he has to tweek things a little just to stay in business.

There was a time when the mexican federal government tried to do something about gas pump deliveries - but I think that ended somewhere during Fox"s administration. You can call the tourist hot line - but I wuldn't bet on any action.

I always figured that all Pemex stations tweeked things starting at about 10%. Past that point some owners get more greedy than others.

Some Pemex owners in Sinaloa have come up with an innovative solution - they hire nice looking muchachas as attendants and dress them up in shorts, tank tops, and cute little baseball caps. No one complains in Sinaloa.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2005 at 10:00 AM

here in Mulege you will git shorted about 20 to 30 % there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. every thing has been tried and failed over the years. the oner is a Friend and they don't care ether. this is Mexico and that is the way it is if you don't like it here then go back to Fresno or wherever.:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 3-20-2005 at 11:56 AM
Bruce...

as you are 'in the know' so to speak, there in Mulege....

Do you think the Pemex in town is any more 'Honest' than the station out on the highway, south of town????

I've always tried to fill up in town, as I wanted to believe that station might give one a better 'break' - it appeared to be used by more locals...what do you think?

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
LarryK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2005 at 09:41 PM

I was sure I was getting ripped off on some old 5 Gal. plastic jugs I had until I filled them in the states and found they held 1.5 gal more then they were rated.

I now carry 9.5 liter can that has been marked. Most of the time the pumps are within a pint of the mark. I can live with that
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 3-20-2005 at 09:55 PM
In Defense of One Pemex Station

....I stopped at one in Mexicali last October (I think it was the last one before the traffic circle to San Felipe) and put about 40 gallons of diesel in the Hummer. I'm not sure how I managed it, but in paying the tab I counted out 100 pesos more than the actual total and handed it to the attendant. He calmly watched me count through it and then handed me back the $MN100 with a rather stern scolding to be careful with money in Mexico! I was on the rest of the trip! ;D

[Edited on 3-21-2005 by Ken Bondy]
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2005 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
as you are 'in the know' so to speak, there in Mulege....

Do you think the Pemex in town is any more 'Honest' than the station out on the highway, south of town????

I've always tried to fill up in town, as I wanted to believe that station might give one a better 'break' - it appeared to be used by more locals...what do you think?

sometimes yes and sometimes no they change all the time.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-21-2005 at 09:08 AM

Even back before we all got to meet Antonio ('BajaCactus')... David Eidell in years past would post that of the many Pemex stations in Baja he tested with his metric gas can... The El Rosario Pemex (Baja Cactus) was 100% honest.

The only problem you might ever have there is a dishonest attendent, and Antonio will terminate them as soon as he finds out.

It is sad, but most Pemex stations will not be honest with the litres delivered... as it was said earlier, the restrictions and expenses imposed by the government run supply & distribution of fuel (PEMEX) makes it very hard for the independant franchise owners of Pemex stations to make any money.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2005 at 11:38 AM

Muchos Kudos to Antonio if this is true.

Of course there are a lot more ways to fool the customers other than volume delivered.
mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2005 at 11:09 AM
2.54 dollars a gallon for unleaded regular

When you convert the liters you bought and paid for into dollars which you know, you end up paying 2.54 dollars a gallon for the magna sin, green pump.

This will become cheap again compared to USA gasoline prices IF the crude oil price is driven to the higher costs. Many experts say the price of gasoline in the USA will be up to 4 dollars a gallon this coming summer.

Saludos..mc

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.