Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: San Felipe robbery/arson
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 06:52 PM

JoeJustJoe - Oy vey. Yes, we met her in 2018 in San Felipe and have kept in touch via Facebook. Our Rv club (younger working-age people) had a lot of people go down there this year. My wife thought it would be great if they could bring down needed dog/cat food. Jenny was happy to help. Personally, I feel sorry for young people who want to buy a house in Southern California or the Bay Area unless they're loaded. You are right in that moving to San Felipe is not the norm for a younger single American woman. Hopefully, she decides to stay because I think she contributes a lot to the community.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 08:41 PM

Well, it is very unusual for a homeowner to not insure. Only she knows if that was a calculated decision, an oversight, a missed payment, or something else. And of course, there are always many reasons the insurers use to deny a claim.
As an example of insurance rates--- I have a VERY modest shack south of Rosarito Beach. I`m insured for $40,000. I pay $200 a year!! So $100 buys $20,000 of insurance that covers fire. So I have to wonder what the heck is going on here???

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Well, it is very unusual for a homeowner to not insure. Only she knows if that was a calculated decision, an oversight, a missed payment, or something else. And of course, there are always many reasons the insurers use to deny a claim.
As an example of insurance rates--- I have a VERY modest shack south of Rosarito Beach. I`m insured for $40,000. I pay $200 a year!! So $100 buys $20,000 of insurance that covers fire. So I have to wonder what the heck is going on here???

oversight? when I shared a home in gonzaga bay I didn't know anyone that carried insurance on their modest homes?
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  

oversight? when I shared a home in gonzaga bay I didn't know anyone that carried insurance on their modest homes?

That would make it a calculated decision, not an oversight.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 09:12 PM

No it doesn't look like not getting homeowners insurance was an oversight for Jenny.

Now it's true a lot of people in Mexico, do not have homeowners insurance, but according to Three2Tango, she put her life savings into that home, so you think she would also look to protect that investment with insurance that often covers many things besides just fires depending on the inexpensive policy.

The other question I have is what paperwork is Jenny doing? It is for the burned down house? It can't be insurance paperwork?

What's with the clean up crew? My mother's house burned down long gone after I moved out. Rarely do homes burn to the ground but the damage is extensive so you can't live there anymore just from the smell alone and other damages.

What does a clean up crew do? Usually after the fire, you go into the burned home, and pick up anything you can salvage, but not clean it up. That's left to a demolition Team after you decide to sell the home or rebuilt it. Now insurance companies sometimes send out clean up crews, but that's mostly for water damage, or minor fires, and things of that nature.

It almost sounds like she doesn't want anyone to go by the burned down house?

Jenny wrote: "No, I did not have insurance. I had thought the worse that would happen would be theft. This is beyond my Imagination."

I've been juggling paperwork, reports, logistics and wallowing in sadness.

At this time I am still figuring things out, but the cleanup of my property is underway and not (currently) in need of assistance

I have cleanup crew on the property.

[Edited on 7-29-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2019 at 09:23 AM

FYI for you! Many people here do not get homeowners insurance.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-31-2019 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by meme  
FYI for you! Many people here do not get homeowners insurance.

Give it up.

There are none so blind as those who WILL NOT SEE.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2019 at 09:37 AM

All I was saying is I know a lot of gringos living here that do not have homeowners insurance. So please do not say that most retirees get homeowners insurance. At one time our insurance agent asked why we pay for it every year when your house is concrete block & all that will burn is contents, so dont keep any real valuables in it. Many could replace contents for what they pay in premiums every year.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2019 at 11:41 AM

When your house walls & floor are made of cinder block, re-bar and concrete. The only loss then is the 2x6 tounge & groove wood roof.
Take the risk.
I know lots of millennial folks with Baja retirement plans, their lack of a materialistic retirement is was draws them there.
Living in the Exoburbs (like Baja) s the wave of the future

Es Todo Bueno
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 07:44 AM

True.
My place is all concrete (except for the doors and frames) and we have homeowner insurance. I did have a major claim when a valve burst under the kitchen sink. My claim resulted in $5000 US which was more than enough to get a lot of cabinets replaced. Glad for the insurance.
My neighbor had a short in his AC unit and his damages were higher than mine due to smoke and appliance damage. His home owner insurance covered the repair. His home was like mine and all concrete. With a fire like he had he was fortunate that the foam insulation used on these all concrete homes was not damaged.
Most of these homeowner insurance policies also cover theft, however the coverage is full of loopholes resulting in great loss and little reimbursement.

[Edited on 8-1-2019 by PaulW]
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 10:56 AM

If you use your home insurance more than twice in a 3 year period, your next renewal will be for a high risk pool at twice the cost. Serve your 3 years of higher cost and you might be eligible for the standard risk pool again.

Es Todo Bueno
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 03:24 PM

I tried to get home owner insurance on wood frame house. No Go in Mexico.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 04:54 PM

According to the story, Jenny's house burned to the ground, so it's doubtful her San Felipe, house was made of cinder block, re-bar and concrete.

People could believe what they want about this story, I don't care, and I actually wanted one "Baja Nomad" member, to contribute to her GoFundMe, fund raiser.

I just get suspicious when things greatly deviate from the norm, there are over-the-top elements in the story, and there is an emotional hook in an alleged incident.( it can't be just a fire, but there is a robbery and the fire was out of spite.....that's the hook, in addition she is American, if she was a Mexican national there would be no interest.)

If you ever saw "The Equalizer," the vigilante movie, with Denzel Washington, and the Russian Mafia, character, who was called in to find out who killed his Mafia friends.

Well the Russian Mafia, character, visits Denzel Washington, while pretending he is detective, and after the Russian Mafia guy talks to the Denzel Washington's character, he says, " Everything is all wrong about the guy," and instantly he suspect Denzel Washington's character, is not who he says he is, and then later goes after the Denzel character.

This is exactly the same feeling I get about Jenny, everything is all wrong!

Of course I could be wrong, and spend too much time watching movies.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
According to Google, the bitter old fart, who goes by the name Willard Guy, is this 88 year old man!

Willardguy, seems to be mistaken that I give a chit what him or other old fart says about me. What an idiot!

Joey simply Joey,
Only self-centered teenagers use “old” as an insult, and no one cares what teenagers say or think. How old are you, jojo?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 10:04 AM

FYI---Jenny lived in a 5th wheel travel trailer/RV.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 10:21 AM

I suspected if the story is real, it was some kind of trailer, or rental house, knowing young people rarely have lots of money to buy a house in cash even in Mexico.

But Meme, it begs the question, how do you know?

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

I suspected if the story is real, it was some kind of trailer, or rental house, knowing young people rarely have lots of money to buy a house in cash even in Mexico.

But Meme, it begs the question, how do you know?

It happened at the end of my street and I've been talking to my buddy across the street who knew her and the previous owner pretty well. Hardly anything in the trailer and was probably a case of bad wiring.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 07:10 PM

This is the way a discussion board ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Wake up, Doug. Look at the precipitous drop off in posts. The "recent post" page is less than one page, by default, when it used to be multiple pages. It's been this way for weeks on end.

You are hemorrhaging posters. And the reason why is even simpler than A-B-C. It's J-J-J. Even other liberals are turning on him. How can they not?

Why let him destroy YOUR board, the way he tried with others, before he was booted from those boards, too? The board is more important than any one poster who NEVER HAS ANYTHING LEGITIMATE TO ADD ABOUT MEXICO.

David K's "retrospective series" can only float it for so long. So few are posting new information.

Enough is enough. End this. Do it for the board's sake.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 07:17 PM

I like the direction hook is going with this!Next trip to Baja I would like to buy you a beer!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
This is the way a discussion board ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Wake up, Doug. Look at the precipitous drop off in posts. The "recent post" page is less than one page, by default, when it used to be multiple pages. It's been this way for weeks on end.

You are hemorrhaging posters. And the reason why is even simpler than A-B-C. It's J-J-J. Even other liberals are turning on him. How can they not?

Why let him destroy YOUR board, the way he tried with others, before he was booted from those boards, too? The board is more important than any one poster who NEVER HAS ANYTHING LEGITIMATE TO ADD ABOUT MEXICO.

David K's "retrospective series" can only float it for so long. So few are posting new information.

Enough is enough. End this. Do it for the board's sake.

And the congregation said....A-freakin'-men

By the way Hook, do the Giants stand a chance?
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.