BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: update on San Ignacio checkpoint?
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 05:16 PM
update on San Ignacio checkpoint?

i am going to La Paz in a coulpe of weeks and remembered how bad san ignacio checkpoint was reported on this forum. does anyone know if it has since been changed? or do i need to still watch all my stuff when they check?

[Edited on 7-27-2019 by JohnGaltSpeaking]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 05:20 PM

You should always watch your stuff...
It seemed to be better after I was accused of transporting marijuana there, in 2015!
That is, until a recent post that that checkpoint was like 20 minutes search, both directions.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 05:38 PM

so it's still bad huh? that sucks. nothing like a 20 minute search in the middle of august. ball busting at it's finest.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 05:44 PM

July 5 going north didn't even have to get out of the car

July 11 said hello...waved thru … did not have to get out of car

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 07:30 PM

Last month Southbound only asked where I was coming from and going to.
Then Northbound a 5 minute search....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 08:05 PM

Nothing is going on at the SI checkpoint. Sometimes they do more thorough searches, sometimes not. They profile.

When I drive through, solo or with wife, we're searched in both directions. When she's driving, talk but no searches. Couple months ago, we both drove but she drove through the checkpoints from LP to Tecate going N. Talk but no searches.

Depends on the shift. Hide anything that can be pocketed. Applies to all checkpoints.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 08:30 PM

I went through 4 times last week and was asked where I came from and going. Very friendly and no problems
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 08:31 PM

I agree with what Lee says, be careful at every checkpoint. San Ignacio, yup, always a little sketchy, but only from what I have heard. If you are legit and don't have anything, be cool and look right into the accusers eye and state in fair spanish "no tengo nada ilegal, su insinuacion es bastante poca profesional" it's a simple shakedown, if you get too excited, it works for them. Too many travelers think that Mexico is typical of many other 'progressive countries' its not, the pay scale is poverty level at professional levels. It's slowly changing, and thank god. Most people ( the vast majority of people ) are as honest as the day is bright. I've never heard of a bogus accusation leading to anything other than a slight delay, please reply if I am wrong about this
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 08:52 PM

Week before last both north and southbound only asked what was in my cooler - didn’t even look when I said water and sodas - asked where I was going and that was it. Never even stepped out of the car at any of the check points.

Andy
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 08:54 PM

i get the whole checkpoint thing. i was just curious as to the san ignacio checkpoint specifically, considering it was a huge topic a while back. i was wondering if all of the complaints amounted to anything of substance in regards to the soldiers behavior.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 09:13 PM

I went through San Ignacio six times in 2017 and twice a couple months ago, all were non events.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2019 at 08:37 AM

Drove up and back down from Loreto to the border about a month ago in my RV, got searched at every checkpoint including SI on the way up, I always get up in the camper with them and watch everything.

San Ignacio checkpoint the guy actually told me to come in with him to watch him search, which I was planning to anyway, maybe they are trying to turn their image around?

no searches heading southbound, its a crap shoot

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
greta-inbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 03:24 PM

Going south mid april just a wave through. Going north late June was a very brief, polite search of bags. We travel with a German shepherd.. Always a few smile/grimaces when we pull up with her between us. I’m always afraid I will jinx our luck. Never a problem in San Ignacio, never a problem in Cuidad Constitucion.
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 03:52 PM

Went through SI checkpoint going south on Friday. Asked where we were going & let us through no inspection. We drive a crewcab pickup with a short shell on the bed. Lots of things in it. This has been typical the last year. Ususally going north is an inspection, but short and everyone has been friendly.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 7-31-2019 at 10:18 AM

Mid-June everything was a-okay there. The usual where am I coming from and where am I going. Am I on vacation? Yes! Always yes. But I am an older woman traveling solo. Maybe that helps?
Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 11:59 AM

I have passed through that checkpoint 5 or 6 times in the past 2 years. During the day it is never a problem. There is usually a lot of activity around the military barracks and the higher ups are around and keeping an eye on things.

At night is a different story. Once due to car trouble and once due to scheduling issues I ended up passing through the check point quite late. Both times I was hassled and my car searched quite thoroughly. The most recent time, in late June, I passed through around midnight and was held up for about 30 minutes. They kept searching and asking me if I had marijuana or drogas. Every once in a while they would find something they liked and asked me if they could keep it. I just laughed and said no each time. It was a bit intimidating but I knew they wouldn't find anything. Finally they let me go.

There are all sorts of reasons to not drive at night in Baja, but avoiding getting hassled at the San Ignacio check point is near the top of my list. I have passed through other check points at night with no issues.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 05:38 PM

I pass thru Saturday night...no problems...didn't even have to get out of the car

returned today...in the morning...no problems...fast and courteous

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 06:03 PM

May 26 SB, they just waved me through. June 9 NB, brief discussion, didn't get out of the car and was on my way. 20 second delay was all.
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 06:23 PM

We passed through on Monday I rolled the windows down, the two young soldiers said they liked my dogs and asked where I was going.....said to my house in Loreto. They said “tiene un buen dia”
Goyo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2019 at 06:57 PM

For the first time since 1995, I ventured deep into Baja Sur about three weeks ago (around Sept. 7). None of the military checkpoints to the north were inspecting southbound vehicles at the times I went by them. But this was not the case at the SI checkpoint.

The truck in front of me was also a solo surfer guy who looked to be around 50. I'm in my mid-50s. They spent 15 minutes going through all his stuff. Then it was my turn. As always, I remove my sunglasses out of respect and I let them observe me doing such just before I come to a stop.

The primary guy asked me to get out of my truck. He noticed I had something in each front pocket of my shorts and asked me what I had. I pulled out my two wallets - one with dollars and real stuff, and the other is a decoy with a few pesos and an old copy of a CDL). He didn't ask for them, but he asked for my driver's license then wrote my name and CDL# on their manifest.

Then the other guy went to the passenger side of my truck and started looking through my stuff. He then calls me over to that side. As soon as I walked around, he had my passenger seat tilted forward and was bent down behind the seat (in the Xtra Cab area). He reached down then said, "Marijuana" as he straightened up with his thumb and first finger P-nched together. I couldn't see anything between his fingers. My heart raced and I said it was impossible and that I don't smoke. His partner then comes over and says I'm in big trouble and that the Policia is going to come and handcuff me then take me to jail and they will take my truck. Again, I said, "Imposible, yo no fumo."

The partner then walked toward the back of my truck and the first guy points to my crotch and asks me something in Spanish that I couldn't understand other than "las ropas." I think he was asking to see what I had inside my shorts. And at that time, I remembered the story posted here where a Nomad was asked by the military guys to drop his drawers. Luckily, the partner came back over and the first guy didn't pursue his interest.

They had me move my truck over to the side so I didn't hold up the line of traffic behind me. They spent 15 minutes going through EVERYTHING in my truck cab area of my Toyota Tacoma. The first guy left and his partner spent an additional 15 minutes going through the back of my truck. Luckily he didn't pull out every single crate because that would have taken him an hour. When he finished he said I could go. I was totally relieved because I didn't know how far they were going to take the scam. I would imagine their objective was to get me scared so I would offer money. But I didn't offer money and they didn't ask for money. These two military guys were older men (maybe in their 40s?). I'm not going to lie ... that incident totally messed with my head for a couple of days. About 10 days later I came through again northbound. But it was younger guys who just asked a few questions and let me go after about two minutes.

I initially wasn't going to post this because there are a couple of guys on this forum who don't believe any negative story posted here. And to those guys, I apologize that I didn't have my spy-cam rolling so I could corroborate my story with video footage to satisfy you. But I decided to post anyway just to give others a heads up that this stuff is still going on at the SI checkpoint and whatever you do, never offer those guys money.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
9-26-2019 at 07:13 PM
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.