Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: using your phone on a computer¡?¿
verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 07:16 PM
using your phone on a computer¡?¿

Away from home and away from cell towers.
Is it possible to plug your 619 phone into a computer and log on somewhere and make a call?

I do not mean talk all day every day, I do mean if I need to make 1 phone call during my 7 weeks in baja.

I know about pay phones and things, that was not the question, nor am I asking about a chip amigo or anything other than,

Is it possible to plug my gringo 619 phone into a computer and make a call once a month or so?

[Edited on 7-29-2019 by verichip]
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 07:40 PM

On Wi Fi use WhatsApp. Good call quality, free and easy. You can usually find Wi Fi pretty much anywhere down there but it may go off with the generator at night.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 07:46 PM

Not a plugin, but Google Voice provides you with a real telephone number and allows you to text and voice call in most areas of the world for free or very cheap. You can also tie your cell phone to it if you want. It's all free.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 08:32 PM

X2 on Whats app, there are a few other wifi calling apps that will work for you..
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 08:38 PM

A lot of Samsung phones support Wi-Fi Calling. It's a setting in the main swipe down. They have changed it for phones newer than the Galaxy S8. They hide the setting a bit now. So look on Youtube for your exact phone and search for Wi-Fi Calling. You can call any phone with it. I'm not sure about iPhones.

Other than that, WhatApp is the easiest. But for it you need to call another WhatsApp account (i.e. can't call a landline or cell phone that doesn't have WhatsApp). You just need to be on Wi-Fi. Voice quality is good. WhatsApp is great in general. It's what all Mexicans use for messaging. Used all over the world actually.

With Skype you can call other phones (cell or landline) using your cell phone or laptop (over Wi-Fi). There is a small fee unless you are calling another Skype account.

[Edited on 7-29-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2019 at 10:02 AM

What JZ said, all I would add is that before you go make sure that your cell service provider supports wifi calling and that your phone does also. If not then "whats app" or any other voip app will work for you, no plugging necessary. If your phone is wifi calling capable and authorized by your carrier then anytime you are near and logged into a wifi service your phone will work as if there was cell service available in other words you will be able to make and receive calls, go online to check emails etc.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-29-2019 at 11:33 AM

can't you just use facebooks private messaging and select voice calling?
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-29-2019 at 11:34 AM

I have used Skype for years. Have it on my cell, laptop and tablet. Very inexpensive world wide calling. I don't use the video, just basic phone service. As others pointed out, works anywhere you have wifi.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2019 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

That works but the other person has to be using messenger. The video calls are kind of fun to make from Baja.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-29-2019 at 01:47 PM

What KurtG says.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 7-30-2019 at 11:06 AM

Skype has a $10 world wide pre paid calling option. That $10 should last me a couple of years.

sounds like a winner.

Does google have an online calling option, as I have a google phone?

[Edited on 7-30-2019 by verichip]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-30-2019 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

whatsapp is owned by facebook.

are you talking about facetime?

yes, you can use facebook 100 different ways, under different apps and different names.

whatsapp is pretty good way to communicate. facetime tends to be wonky if you have a slow wifi.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-30-2019 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by verichip  

Does google have an online calling option, as I have a google phone?

Here you go: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-20808...

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-30-2019 at 11:30 AM

Are any of the internet phone "work arounds" suitable for calling government agencies, commercial establishments, or other phone numbers that are not expecting a call from you?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2019 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Are any of the internet phone "work arounds" suitable for calling government agencies, commercial establishments, or other phone numbers that are not expecting a call from you?

I'm not sure of the others but I use wi-fi calling and as far as the recipient knows, it's just another call from your cell phone. As noted, you need have a phone that supports it and a provider that provides it. Once enabled it's seamless with nothing to do on your part. If I'm at home it's connected to wi-fi and when I'm away it's connected to a cell tower. It works for data and voice.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.