BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: La Rumorosa-safe to travel during day?
bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 03:28 PM
La Rumorosa-safe to travel during day?

I'm traveling from Yuma to Baja & never driven La Rumorosa. Is it O.K. to drive to Baja during day or better to take Tecate? Thanks!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 03:37 PM

If not during the day, then when? I have driven it many times both up and down... always in the daytime.
The La Rumorosa grade is a steep but 4-lane twisty climb. If mountain driving for a few miles is scary for you, I-8 is a better grade... but then the road to Campo/ Tecate USA is just 2-lane mountain road.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 03:52 PM

Most direct route is Interstate 8 west to the Buckman Springs (County S-1) exit. Buckman Springs road to Campo then west on 94 to Tecate

We use this route all the time from Ensenada to Yuma and Tucson

[Edited on 8-1-2019 by bajaguy]
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 03:57 PM

Mary, sorry your question is rather vague. The cuota (toll road (currently free) is a good highway, two lanes each direction. The Cantú Grade (aka Rumorosa grade) requires full attention due to slow trucks, etc. Keep in mind the desert is 110 F. In midday.
Best to cross the desert in the morning hours when it is cool. Going west from Mexicali, you will have the sun behind you. Late afternoon, the sun would be in your face all the way.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 04:27 PM

If you are traveling west to Tecate or Tijuana/Ensenada it is much more relaxed to take I-8. I would certainly want to avoid Mexicali traffic, especially in the summer heat.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 04:39 PM

2D (toll) has a loop to the south of Mexicali -- you miss all the traffic; it's wide open. The toll road up to Rumerosa is a no-brainer. All good.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
If you are traveling west to Tecate or Tijuana/Ensenada it is much more relaxed to take I-8. I would certainly want to avoid Mexicali traffic, especially in the summer heat.

Agree... but avoid Mexicali (if you do go that way) by staying on the toll road around Mexicali (Hwy. 2-D) Libramiento de Mexicali.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 04:42 PM

There's also a checkpoint before the La Rumerosa climb. Cars and truck way backed up. Not sure if it's always like that, but thorough search.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 04:42 PM

Did the rumorosa grade..... ONCE. Top to bottom pulling a trailer.... way twisty-turny with a lot of big rigs and busses doing their usual zoom zooms. If you wanna do it to see it and hopefully you're not pulling a load, i'd do it bottom to top. However, all advice says I-8 is the way to go for sure. Dunno what you mean by 'safe' as Mexico driving has its' risks in general. Kinda goes with the old saying, "never drive the same road twice". Was my motto as a younger man.

Happy trails. :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
There's also a checkpoint before the La Rumerosa climb. Cars and truck way backed up. Not sure if it's always like that, but thorough search.

The trucks are in the right lane, but cars move through much quicker, in the left lane, at the checkpoint. Only been stopped for inspection there a couple of times and a cold drink was in their sight, so I shared!

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 07:50 PM

La Rumorosa is a great drive, twisty turny and steep but the views back to the east are great. Last time at the top I took the libre road thru the towns up there and it was fine. Good road and all fast driving with some taco stops if you want them. If you haven't driven it, I'd say do it, worth doing at least once.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 08:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamary1952  
I'm traveling from Yuma to Baja & never driven La Rumorosa. Is it O.K. to drive to Baja during day or better to take Tecate? Thanks!

yes, safe during day.
if going from yuma to TJ or ensenada, faster to take I-8, cross border at SY, and take coastal toll road south to ensenada.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
yes, safe during day.
if going from yuma to TJ or ensenada, faster to take I-8, cross border at SY, and take coastal toll road south to ensenada.

Not quite. From Google maps:

Yuma to Ensenada, via San Diego - 4 hours, 24 minutes - 255 miles (+ tolls)

Yuma to Ensenada, Via I-8 and Tecate - 3 hours, 58 minutes - 205 miles

Yuma to Ensenada, Via La Rumorosa and Tecate - 5 hours - 213 miles (+ tolls)

[Edited on 8-2-2019 by bajaguy]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 09:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
La Rumorosa is a great drive, twisty turny and steep but the views back to the east are great. Last time at the top I took the libre road thru the towns up there and it was fine. Good road and all fast driving with some taco stops if you want them. If you haven't driven it, I'd say do it, worth doing at least once.

yes amazing views.....go for it!:yes:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 09:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
yes, safe during day.

If you read it on the internet, then it must be true, eh? :lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 11:02 PM

If I'm in a hurry to get to Ensenada from Yuma, I'll take I-8/Highway 94 to Tecate then Mex 3 to Ensenada. Your time of 4 hours is spot on.

I prefer your third option, via La Rumorosa... it takes me longer than 5 hours as I always stop in at the La Cabaña Del Abuelo restaurant in La Rumorosa for lunch. Military check point at the bottom of the hill has never been a long wait for me.
Without a lunch stop and/or other delay(s), your time of 5 hours is also spot on.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 06:45 PM

Actually, I have driven all 3. The I-8 Tecate route is hands down the quickest, and easiest.

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
yes, safe during day.

If you read it on the internet, then it must be true, eh? :lol::lol:
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 07:17 PM

I'm looking forward to doing the "Old La Rumorosa Road" both ways but that is an entirely different discussion and prolly best done in the fall or spring:bounce: If anyone is looking for a fun little day trip out of SF or heading that way, LMK.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2019 at 09:56 AM

It's a great drive. And a nice counterpoint to I-8 on the other side. Rode it on a dual-sport and quite enjoyed it. Not much traffic, but certainly nothing to worry about.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-3-2019 at 10:15 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
It's a great drive. And a nice counterpoint to I-8 on the other side. Rode it on a dual-sport and quite enjoyed it. Not much traffic, but certainly nothing to worry about.

Good to see a first time post with information to share! I came here the first time asking questions, which I guess is an ok way to start.

My only trip up the grade was in late March, 2018. On that day, the traffic was fairly heavy with lots of trucks. It was quite a spectacular climb, and I enjoyed most of it, but drove into a thick fog bank about two thirds of the way up. The fun stopped right then!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.