BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: body shop paint, high end
ejs

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 07:45 AM
body shop paint, high end

I have to get my 1973 BMW painted, has rust that needs to be cut out, grill bent. Looking for high end work. Someone told me to take it to Los Panchos for an estimate, also got an address in Ensenada. Just added the car to SENTRI. Anyone had good luck. Had it painted 10 years ago but faded and I will not go back to that shop. Several rust areas rusting thru so I can't wait too much longer.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 08:00 AM

You get what you pay for. My experience is relevant to La Paz but I expect reflects the market in Baja California too. We have every level of competence here from ultra high end to the guy with a bucket and some Bondo. I can recommend people here but you will have to wait for the best shops. You can expect the cost to be about a third of US prices.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 08:59 AM

In my experience a good paint job with rust removal, replacement of body parts, primer, prep takes about 2 years, if you are lucky. Done it 4 times now and it takes a long time. It's best to have only qualified people touch the car, no inexperienced helpers, lots of issues can come up. It can easily go wrong with missing stolen parts or just not available, and the car is generally sitting outside the whole time causing damage to exposed electronics and interior. I'm getting ready for another project now.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 09:20 AM
Paint...bring it, or get it locally?

I asked about bodywork in Baja last November, and got a few helpful suggestions before things went political (imagine that!), but my trip SOB got scrubbed!

I am still thinking about bringing the old beater down to get a fresh look, but now it needs some body work in addition to paint. A little old lady (even older than me!) backed in to the passenger side door. Her insurance gave me a generous check for a door that is still perfectly functional, but caved in.

I do not really need high end work, because I will keep on abusing this poor Kia until it drops, but it deserves better than the faded peeling paint that is wearing now!

I will ask again, should I bring paint with me, or let a body shop in La Paz try to obtain a quality paint down there?

Also, I can bring a replacement door of a completely different color, or should I keep it simple (for me) and let them straighten out the door skin, even if it takes a little bondo?

The old post, on which I learned that I need to allow much more time for the repair; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91588&got...

I don't want to hijack the thread started by ejs, he is looking for high end work, I just want to 'git her done'! Any replies directed to me should use the link I provided.

[Edited on 8-2-2019 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 09:43 AM

Have a guy I use last 12 years one hour south ensenada. Pm me if you want info that was my work. Over 40 years for the little money he charges I don't pull my tools out anymore
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 09:45 AM

Curious, how close can a very good shop get to the factory look? Guess on prices?

Never had a vehicle painted, but have abused my newer Silverado truck pretty good on the narrow dirt tracks, and not all of it is coming out with buffing.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 09:53 AM

There is a point between take apart the truck to paint . Also very important to use best primer paint and clear coat. To remove easy parts to paint. Tape the rest most all shops in mex use cheap primer and paint. I make it a point to always use the best paint possible.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 09:57 AM

I haven't seen a shop with a heated closed up curing area, it's all weather dependent and they don't don't do well with lacquer finishes in general which tend to peel after a few years so we prefer to use the best paints, primer plus 2-3 coats and that's it'. Almost impossible to meet factory quality anywhere. La Paz has many shops to sell materials and paints.

FYI I have had friends who lived/camped at the caroceria shop and got it done much faster like a month. I prefer to visit periodically and check on progress.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 09:57 AM

The rule used to be to have the bodywork done in Mex (a lot cheaper), the painting done in the US. But, I don't know if that holds anymore.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 09:58 AM

On most repaints best if truck is under roof. Down south always out side in that oven. Short life on paint
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 10:08 AM

Price in mex for me 20 times less usa. As far as lacquer primer and paint. That went out 20 years ago as with heated booth. They color sand a buff all repaints in mex as even if they have a Booth . It is not up to par they are very slow to get big job done fast. You want cheap then you wait.
ejs

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 04:32 PM

My 1973 is not a daily driver so I do not care if it takes a month. Like closer to the border so I can visit and see what they are doing.
kk6mbh

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 06:04 PM

FWIW in May we had our FJ62 done at Los Ponchos (with an O) right around the corner from Los Panchos (with an A). Took them two weeks. I walked across the border once to check on progress. Both are an easy walk, including mandatory taco stops en route. Very pleased with the final results. I would reiterate to Armando you want the interior covered to avoid overspray/sanding dust. I did and only involved a little detail when I picked it up. They didn't take it down to bare metal as I was sticking with the original color. They did sand a few spots for rust then four coats paint, four coats primer. For my purposes, I'd call it a 7.5/10 job. Under $2K including window out prep/paint and new window tint. I had been quoted $5K in North County San Diego. A few reviews on some of the classic car forums for both Los Panchos and Los Ponchos. Good luck!
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 08:39 PM

Can any of the shops offer a wrap?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ejs  
My 1973 is not a daily driver so I do not care if it takes a month. Like closer to the border so I can visit and see what they are doing.

What about Tecate, is that close enough? Another Nomad told me that he had good results with a shop there. If you are interested, I will try to get the information for you.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 03:33 PM

Why does the process take so long?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.