Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Joke's on me
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 08:11 AM
Joke's on me

At Chedarui ayer I noticed I was not getting the sale price on Topo Chico. I love this stuff and they had a sale so I bought four six-packs. I pointed out the problem and they sent someone to check. Nope, no sale price! What? Now the head checker is involved. We walk back to the shelves where, sure enough, no sale price?? Wait, I say, there's a pallet in the aisle with a sign on it. Bueno - BIG sign sez it IS on sale - I am right, I am smug. Wrong, she sez, computer sez no sale and shelf sez no sale. grumble, grumble, grumble..... "Can i talk with the manager?" Seems like half an hour later some other gerente type shows up to investigate. After much discussion and hand wringing on my part the gerente mediates the problem. They are on sale individually, you bought a six-pack. Well, of course.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 08:19 AM

Your story reminds me of a story of mine. In the early 1970s I was in Morocco and looking to buy a rug. I forgot the exact figures but he said the rug was $50. I asked him how much would it be if I bought 3 and without any hesitation he said $200. I asked him why it was more for 3 and with a straight face he said the more I buy the less there are so they become more valuable.

How can you argue with that logic, same as your story.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 08:20 AM

oh geeze.....good to know thanks for the heads up....just wish we could get Topo Gigo...er Chico here in Asuncion...sigh

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 09:06 AM

a few years ago people were complaining that at Chedraui La Paz they found regularly items added to their bill. Every time they went. Seemed like a computer generated trick to inflate the bill. No much - just so you would not get suspicious.
I never shopped there again.

Made me think of Pemex - well, I am not going there today

Harald Pietschmann
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 09:08 AM

Back in the 60's Sears was selling something for 80 cent each or three for $2.50.

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Your story reminds me of a story of mine. In the early 1970s I was in Morocco and looking to buy a rug. I forgot the exact figures but he said the rug was $50. I asked him how much would it be if I bought 3 and without any hesitation he said $200. I asked him why it was more for 3 and with a straight face he said the more I buy the less there are so they become more valuable.

How can you argue with that logic, same as your story.

Stopped at Agricole in Pesky awhile back, they were just starting out, a table outside with strawberries on it, no signage or prices.

Asked the MX man the price for a carton (pint) of strawbs and he said 40 pesos. Then asked the price of 2 cartons and he said 100 pesos. Didn't question his logic on this.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 01:07 PM

Was a guy going so. toward San Felipe on the straightaway across Laguna Salada, a Fed Hwy Cop standing in the middle
of the road waved him over, told him he was speeding. Driver
asked him how he knew he was speeding from miles away,
cop replied 'everyone on this Hwy speeds'

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 03:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
At Chedarui ayer I noticed I was not getting the sale price on Topo Chico. I love this stuff and they had a sale so I bought four six-packs. I pointed out the problem and they sent someone to check. Nope, no sale price! What? Now the head checker is involved. We walk back to the shelves where, sure enough, no sale price?? Wait, I say, there's a pallet in the aisle with a sign on it. Bueno - BIG sign sez it IS on sale - I am right, I am smug. Wrong, she sez, computer sez no sale and shelf sez no sale. grumble, grumble, grumble..... "Can i talk with the manager?" Seems like half an hour later some other gerente type shows up to investigate. After much discussion and hand wringing on my part the gerente mediates the problem. They are on sale individually, you bought a six-pack. Well, of course.

You should have put the six pack back, and bought individual bottles.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2019 at 03:50 AM

In the 90's I was a buyer for an import company that sold furniture and decor from Mexico. In Guadalajara and Puebla we always tried to get better deals on bulk...the way wholesale works most of the time.

One time while on a trip, my boss had me swing through Michoacan to re-stock on these really nice bar stools that our stores needed more of. Small outfit and the guy just worked out of his yard for the most part.

Beagle: How much for one stool?

Artisan: 20 dollars.

Beagle: Hmm ok, how much for 30 stools?

The old man rubbed his whiskers and looked off at the mountains.

Artisan: 750 dollars.

Beagle: Wait! Then it's 25 a stool! Why???

Artisan: Mas Trabajo!

That's part of why I love Mexico. I get it. I laughed and we shook on it.

True Story.

Edited for spelling
[Edited on 8-6-2019 by Beagle]

[Edited on 8-6-2019 by Beagle]
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2019 at 07:55 AM

Shari - If you can get Coca-Cola, and where in the world can't you? You can get Topo Chico, it's part of the CC franchise. Goat, that's exactly what we did. JJJ, I got bored with your post three words in and never finished it - whatever.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-6-2019 at 09:06 AM

Shari - If you can get Coca-Cola, and where in the world can't you? You can get Topo Chico, it's part of the CC franchise. Goat, that's exactly what we did. JJJ, I got bored with your post three words in and never finished it - whatever.

Uh well I can tell you that Coca Cola is everywhere but ne'er a bottle of Topo Chico...not here, not in Vizcaino, and not even in GN.
We arent in Kansas

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2019 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

Uh well I can tell you that Coca Cola is everywhere but ne'er a bottle of Topo Chico...not here, not in Vizcaino, and not even in GN.
We arent in Kansas

Actually Shari... Dorothy never left Kansas. We all might still be in Kansas :wow::wow:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2019 at 09:19 AM

Topo Chico is not a big seller, there's no sugar in it.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2019 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Topo Chico is not a big seller, there's no sugar in it.

Topo Chico has arrived on Cape Cod, but only a few stores (e.g. Whole Foods) carries it. It makes for a nice mixer with one's choice of adult beverage, or as a refreshing tonic all on its own. :cool:

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2019 at 11:54 PM

Some of these are the funniest stories I have heard in a while!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 08:03 AM

We arent in Kansas[/rquote]

Ask your CC driver to throw a case on the truck next trip. The 1.5L bottle is the best buy. We use 1 a day. My favorite soda water from a spring at the bottom of a hill (topo chico) in Montery MX. It's just hitting the states. My only b-tch is the plastic containers are over the top stout. Plastic bottles are the devil. My first job as a bag boy for Lucky stores was to take in, sort and rack the returnable bottles. What a concept!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 08:40 AM

My first job as a bag boy for Lucky stores was to take in, sort and rack the returnable bottles. What a concept!

Same for me at Safeway, plus bailing up the compacted cardboard bundles. That was fairly hazardous duty for a 16 year old, you could easily get hurt several ways bailing and moving those big bundles.

The biggest recycling business in CA just shut down, so I'm left with a few boxes of bottles (with deposit!) and no where (yet) to redeem them. I guess they can't even make money off aluminum and PET plastics anymore.

But, we have a bullet train to nowhere, maybe we can fill it with bottles and cans?

John
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 10:19 AM

Remember the long defunct "Purity" grocery chain? I worked for them when I was seventeen, I had the same tasks assigned to me.

You failed to mention the powerful, sour smell coming from the stacks of not quite empty bottles!

By the way, I was traveling in Mexico way back then, and the deposit on bottles there exceeded the cost of the sodas!

[Edited on 8-8-2019 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 07:57 AM

OMG, We hoarded those ballenas and locked 'em up at night. Then came non-returnables (US style), then plastic. Progress. Whoops, then the Chinese stopped buying our leftovers. We're now in deep do-do cuz recycling is no longer a profitable business. What upstanding free-market supporting politician is going to promote recycling now? You mean we have to pay for our mess? You think the bottlers are culpable? Don't get me started. BTW, I still remember what 3 cents X 18 bottles equals.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.