Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Kings Canyon/ Sequoia National Park
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 07:08 PM
Kings Canyon/ Sequoia National Park

One thing for sure, if David K hasn't posted or replied in a 48-hour period, then it means I am not near the Internet! :lol::cool:

Last weekend, our daughter Kristi got married to Kenny and they did so at a place Kenny has loved since he was a little boy, Kings Canyon. So, it was a camping party for friends and family. There is a lodge nearby in Cedar Grove for the few who preferred not to rough it. The rest of us camped in Sentinel Campground.

We drove up on Saturday, the wedding and party were on Sunday, and we came home on Tuesday (yesterday). The weather was ideal... never cold enough for a jacket (but pretty cool around dawn) and no bugs (only a couple of mosquito bites). Monday was a nice chill day to relax.

On the drive home, we stopped at Grizzly Falls and took the loop walk among the giant sequoia trees at the General Grant Grove.

The stats: The drive was about 7 hours with a meal and fuel stop from San Diego North County... about 370 miles. My Tacoma got around 18 mpg. The entrance fee for the park was $35 and good for a week. The camping site was about $22/ night.

Here are a few photos (sized to 640 pixels width)...

Our camp spot... Coleman Instant Tent, 8 years of Baja only camping with it.

Happy wife, Baja Angel (Elizabeth)

Wedding vows exchanged... Kristi's brother, Joshua is ordained to perform marriages (he officiated my son's wedding, last year). Joshua is the off-road racing/ trophy truck mechanic for Team Mattox and was formerly with Stewart's RaceWorks (until he was injured badly while co-driving in the Mint 400).

Grizzly Falls

Sorry, but I can't get these to show correctly. Let's just say these guys are tall!

These next two photos are the same tree, upper half and lower half...

Giant seqouoias

Something different is always fun. The camping sites all need to be reserved well ahead of time during the busy season.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 07:18 PM

Congratulations to the happy couple! Those Sequoia trees are something else, I remember the first ones I saw.

Don't forget to get your Golden Pass when you turn 62, it will save you 50% on campsites and free admission to national parks. I know you're getting close.

That pop-up tent has served you very well.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 07:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Congratulations to the happy couple! Those Sequoia trees are something else, I remember the first ones I saw.

Don't forget to get your Golden Pass when you turn 62, it will save you 50% on campsites and free admission to national parks. I know you're getting close.

That pop-up tent has served you very well.

John

Yes, thanks...
we are only a month and a half away from that magic age for the discount and early social security refunding what I paid into for so many years!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 04:45 AM

Looks like a good time. Congratulations to the couple.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 03:15 PM

Love the pictures and glad you two had a great time. Congratulations to your daughter and new son in law, may they have a happy and long life together.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 05:37 PM

Congrats to your daughter Kristi and Kenny 🥂

What a perfect place to get married❤️

It’s beautiful there. The dragons and I used to go to a great family camp there called Montecito Sequoia.
Great place to take your kids or grandkids too as they run programs for adults and kids.

[Edited on 8-9-2019 by Mother of Dragons]
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 06:31 PM

One of the many areas I'm looking forward to hiking when I thru hike the PCT! Been there several time but can't wait to see the back country. Thanks for the report.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 07:30 PM

Love my Sierras!!

And congrats to the newlyweds

Final word
Yes, you can collect SS at 62, but not if you make more than about $17k per year
Careful with this.
And, the longer you wait the higher your monthly payout.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Love my Sierras!!

Final word
Yes, you can collect SS at 62, but not if you make more than about $17k per year
Careful with this.

I know... Book sales don't provide enough income and my irrigation work has been more difficult for me as I get older. I would rather get some of my money back before I die than wait for a bigger amount and maybe not get any! Ha!

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 09:26 PM

Felicidades! A beautiful place to begin their life together.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 09:33 AM

Thanks for the pics...one of my favorite spots, too. Cedar Grove and adjoining facilities /store are great. A Ranger told me about an undeveloped area called Horse Corals near Montecito. I wish our Parks weren't so crowded these days. Why BCS is my home!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Love my Sierras!!

Final word
Careful with this.

I know... Book sales don't provide enough income and my irrigation work has been more difficult for me as I get older. I would rather get some of my money back before I die than wait for a bigger amount and maybe not get any! Ha!

Do the math on it David,
Turns out if my wife starts taking it at 62, as opposed to waiting till shes 70 - she would break even when she was 85. so she will take the money now.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 04:53 PM

Do the math on it David,
Turns out if my wife starts taking it at 62, as opposed to waiting till shes 70 - she would break even when she was 85. so she will take the money now. [/rquote]

I would never advocate going past "full retirement" age, just to up the monthly stipend. But, going early surely limits you on being able to earn without losing some of your current benefit.

David is a young man (last time we met he looked pretty able to me) and I assumed that he still had a few more years of operating his business. Bad assumption on my part, I guess. If you are not concerned about the earned income penalty then head for the rocking chair and enjoy....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 04:53 PM

caj13: Read my post, that is what I am doing. If I make it big on TV (lol) then I won't need it so I can wait. Unless I can make more, I begin getting my money back after my next birthday.

Dick: We met a long time ago and my body is weaker however, my business was very reduced following the events made in 2008. The events after 2016 had made the industry whole again but all my business associates have not been able to stay and so much was referals and sub work from or for them. I am just too worn out to be working in the dirt so much, anyway.

[Edited on 8-10-2019 by David K]

Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
One of the many areas I'm looking forward to hiking when I thru hike the PCT! Been there several time but can't wait to see the back country. Thanks for the report.

I wish you a great time on the PCT. I’ve been thinking of being an Angel on it so may see you somewhere some day.
Keep us posted when you do begin!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 05:13 PM

I pulled my SS at 62, and have no regrets! Well, maybe a couple of years more would have left me in a bit better financial shape, but there is no way I would have kept subjecting myself to the wear and tear and hazards of construction until I was 70!

We can chat about it sometime if you like, but this thread is about you and your family, not me.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I pulled my SS at 62, and have no regrets! Well, maybe a couple of years more would have left me in a bit better financial shape, but there is no way I would have kept subjecting myself to the wear and tear and hazards of construction until I was 70!

We can chat about it sometime if you like, but this thread is about you and your family, not me.

Thank you AKgringo.
Construction is hard on the body... and my work (gluing pvc pipes and punching in emitters) is on the knees. Fortunately, my knees have not given out but my legs are weak. I know they would be happier if I lost 30 pounds, too! I have switched to light beer, what else can I do??? LOL:lol:

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 08:46 AM

The events after 2016 had made the industry whole again,

but all my business associates have not been able to stay?

Please elaborate on those contradictory statements.

John
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 08:57 AM

Thank you AKgringo.
Construction is hard on the body... and my work (gluing pvc pipes and punching in emitters) is on the knees. Fortunately, my knees have not given out but my legs are weak. I know they would be happier if I lost 30 pounds, too! I have switched to light beer, what else can I do???

I know many that have improved their physique and health in their 60s. Here is what else you can do:
Eat better
Exercise regularly
Be disciplined

Skip gyms, they are boring so you will lose interests. Take up a sport or active pastime you enjoy, the enjoyment will help you make it a regular activity, leading to health.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Thank you AKgringo.
Construction is hard on the body... and my work (gluing pvc pipes and punching in emitters) is on the knees. Fortunately, my knees have not given out but my legs are weak. I know they would be happier if I lost 30 pounds, too! I have switched to light beer, what else can I do???

I know many that have improved their physique and health in their 60s. Here is what else you can do:
Eat better
Exercise regularly
Be disciplined

Skip gyms, they are boring so you will lose interests. Take up a sport or active pastime you enjoy, the enjoyment will help you make it a regular activity, leading to health.

Less stressful lifestyle
Move to Shell Island and become a travel author
Lionel :cool
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.