Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New industry for Baja? High tech surgery
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 08:18 AM
New industry for Baja? High tech surgery

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/business/medical-tourism-...

Great article today in the NYTimes about designer surgery in Cancun. Fly your own doc down, get great treatment, and the patient gets no charge, a free time in Mexico and a $5k check.
Someone in TJ or Ensenada needs to hop on this, real quickly.!!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 09:11 AM

I'd love to go that route, i just sent the link to the story to our HR people, to see if they can do this. nedd another new knee, and I bet i can convince my surgeon to take the mexican vacation, and get paid more money
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 09:48 AM

There's a great idea. Cut corners on surgery.

Here's a thought. Something goes wrong, is there recourse? Doubt it. That is, nobody is liable or responsible. Patient holds the bag.

Mexican hospital, Mexican laws. Good luck on that.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 11:25 AM

Valid questions Lee, but i would assume - (check pretty thouroughhly with my health care provider) since it is arranged through the health care company and you are using your dovctor, i suspect their is some sort of liability protection built in, something the Dr signs etc, and the insurance company is promoting it, so I would think they have accountability - but you are right, all that needs to be checked out!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 07:49 AM

I think you will see more of this because of the cost of medical in the US. Sure things can go wrong just like they can in the US. The more it's done the better the process will get, I bet you will be able to extra insurance just like you do for vacation.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 08:49 AM

A major problem in the USA - as per Lee above - is the desire to sue someone every time something goes awry.

I wish no sanctuary for chitty doctors, but suing people has become an occupation for some in the USA and hugely drives up the costs for you and me getting relatively standard medical care.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 09:17 AM
Good point

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
A major problem in the USA - as per Lee above - is the desire to sue someone every time something goes awry.

I wish no sanctuary for chitty doctors, but suing people has become an occupation for some in the USA and hugely drives up the costs for you and me getting relatively standard medical care.

I have served on two local hospital boards.
At our monthly meeting we were apprised each time that the hospital had been named in a lawsuit.
I made it policy that when we were sued the board would be made aware of the name of the plaintiff attorney.
Since our boards were made up, for the most part, of influential local business and community leaders I felt it essential that we knew the names of our protagonists.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 10:09 AM

The sue for profit industry is certainly a huge factor, but so is the system that allows medical and pharmaceutical suppliers to gouge for their service.

When the cost for service is based on sticking it to insurers, and government agencies', there is room for abuse at all levels! Even with insurance, the cost of co-pays, and uncovered billable items can put a middle class family into serious financial trouble!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 04:58 PM

AK, I am in total agreement that the medical system in our country is broken.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 05:11 PM

Speaking of medical care, sometimes ya gotta love Mexico. Friday morning I went to a lab in TJ for a blood test. Saturday morning I picked up the results. A complete blood analysis plus an additional PSA test - $35.

Sure I could have gotten it done for free in San Diego under Medicare but it would have involved going to the doctor, then to the laboratory, and then back to the doctor to hear him say my cholesterol is high, eat less, exercise more, and cut back on the vodka. duh.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 01:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
There's a great idea. Cut corners on surgery.

Here's a thought. Something goes wrong, is there recourse? Doubt it. That is, nobody is liable or responsible. Patient holds the bag.

Mexican hospital, Mexican laws. Good luck on that.

Lee, part of this deal is that a separate mal-practice policy is provided by the employer so that the patient still has rights to that route if necessary.

RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 05:47 PM

Just my opinion as someone who has lived outside the USA in numerous countries for about 30 years... My experience with medical care out here has been EXCELLENT.

Those who tout that the USA has the best medical care in the world are right, if you are a millionaire. For the rest of us, you can usually find comparable or even better care for a fraction of the price outside the USA.

And... while it might be fun, or feel righteous, to sue a doctor or his HMO group - they have deep deep pockets and will fight you until you are bankrupt. So thinking that the tort law system in the USA provides you with protection... just means you drank the Kool-Aid. Keep on believing.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.