BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Storm chasing, tis the season!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 02:43 PM
Storm chasing, tis the season!

On a local NBC affiliate this morning, they announced that 'hurricane' Henriette had formed a couple of hundred miles SW of Cabo! I went to the NOAA site (eebmike.com/), and they call it a tropical storm that will be no threat to Baja. http://eebmike.com/

I then checked out windy.com, and at the time they were not even showing it as much of a disturbance! https://www.windy.com/?26.077,-109.578,5

I have never ridden out a hurricane, but was wondering who on this forum has been through one in Baja?

If I was foolish enough to want to go storm chasing this year, where and when would you think would provide the best chance of getting blown away?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 02:55 PM

I lived through one and it was horrible.
A life changing experience.
Damage to the property was serious.
Many trees uprooted.
More than 100 meters of wall knocked down

September is your best month for hurricanes in Baja.
Any place between La Paz and Cabo is good to wait for one.
Anywhere north of La Paz the direction of storms is more difficult to predict.

amigo.jpg - 219kB

Harald Pietschmann
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 03:06 PM

The common thread I've heard from couple people who rode out a hurricane: like being in a tunnel with a train. The roar will make it impossible to think, much less sleep.

Then there's the devastation. Roads blocked from down trees, power out and electrical lines in the road, no services like gas, groceries.

No thanks.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 03:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
On a local NBC affiliate this morning, they announced that 'hurricane' Henriette had formed a couple of hundred miles SW of Cabo! I went to the NOAA site (eebmike.com/), and they call it a tropical storm that will be no threat to Baja. http://eebmike.com/

Eebmike is not a noaa site. It just reposts info they take from noaa.

The noaa site is National hurricane center (NHC) https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
I find the nhc site to be more useful, as it has hyperlinks to follow for more info.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 03:52 PM

I was in Cabo staying at the original Finisterra in August when a hurricane brushed the cape. No fun whatsoever. The rain was horizontal and actually blew into the room through the crack at the bottom of the door. No power with power transformers exploding all around the city. And then after the storm, everything all effed up and the heat and humidity were intolerable.

Don't go looking to experience a hurricane. Stay away and watch videos of storms.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 03:59 PM

try key west where they know how to enjoy a good hurricane!;) I went thru two, one camping at punta chivato and once in cabo, yeah they're not all they're cracked up to be!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 04:31 PM

I've been thru a few here in Punta Chivato. However being East of the direct path of most and over the mountain I think the strongest I've been thru is a cat 2. Yes there is a lot of damage and the surf can really destroy properties too. Not something to go looking to experience though. Even a cat 1 can do a lot of damage if they linger as a few have here and even have had them pass over and then return. Not fun! Thanks goat for the web site.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 04:51 PM

I remember reading a story years ago about a group of friends that had a " hurricane party " somewhere in Florida.
Well it ended up the the house that they partied in was only a slab after the hurricane past.

Now THAT must have been some party !!

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 05:33 PM

I was at 9 palms camping in the 80s when one hit Cabo. We were in a suburban with a tarp over the suburban. We had staked and buried the tarp before it hit. It kicked our butts, wind for 2 days plus and windy for another. we had to wait another 3 days for the roads to dry and the washes to dry out. I will not try it again

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 05:59 PM

A cat 1 I road out was not a problem for my house . But the roads, power, lack of gas ,food , ice, ect was worse than the storm.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 06:39 PM
My right brain had control of the keyboard!

Thanks for the opinions and experiences you have shared, and the better link to NOAA!

The more logical left side of my brain has convinced me that storm chasing should mean getting there after the wind has gone! Storm catching is something to avoid!

[Edited on 8-13-2019 by AKgringo]

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 07:59 PM

let pictures tell you - stay away!

https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Other/Hurricane-Odile/i-v...

914.jpg - 235kB

Harald Pietschmann
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 08:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
The common thread I've heard from couple people who rode out a hurricane: like being in a tunnel with a train. The roar will make it impossible to think, much less sleep.

Then there's the devastation. Roads blocked from down trees, power out and electrical lines in the road, no services like gas, groceries.

No thanks.

I went through Odile. It sat over El Centenario for hours. The wind was at Cat 4+. It went over at night, which made it more terrifying, because you had no way to tell what was happening, other than the deafening noise. The power went out early on, and it was so eerie to look across the bay at the lights still on in La Paz.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 04:44 AM

I was in one in cabo in the early 90's. Lots of damage. Sliding glass doors in the hotel rooms were exploding all night. Crazy.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 08:06 AM

Storm watching is a popular pastime here in Bahia Asuncion because most hurricanes get sucked over to the gulf side so the threat of danger is not present here.

We get gorgeous skies, huge thundering swells smashing on the coastline but hardly any rain and usually just gale force winds of around 30-40 at the peak of the storm. We often just get the outer bands or tail end of hurricanes so while exciting...not terrifying like being in the middle of one!!!

People traveling south on the peninsula often come here to dodge a storm as it is a safe place to hold up until the roads get cleared and arroyos stop running.

The locals love driving around to see the dramatic waves and if it is raining, which arroyos are running etc....we cant wait for our storm cruising and hurricane parties!

La Bufadora area here is full of people taking selfies with huge waves...this is Chikirringis...a famous character here.

and me in our front yard at La Bufadora Inn

here are a few images around town during storms

Wanna have fun in a storm...come on over to the central Pacside!
just dont camp in an arroyo and as always never try to cross a running arroyo!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 09:18 AM

Shari, I hope you didn't just jinx yourself. :o

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

we are due for a doozie...a hurricane hasnt really hit hard for many years here...good thing I just got our roof done!!!:biggrin:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 07:38 PM

So...it' a storm party at Shari's La Bufadora. Now if we can just narrow down when it's on!

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
So...it' a storm party at Shari's La Bufadora. Now if we can just narrow down when it's on!

my guess is late September!

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-14-2019 at 12:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

we are due for a doozie...a hurricane hasnt really hit hard for many years here...good thing I just got our roof done!!!:biggrin:

You really don’t like that roof very much do you?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.