BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Storm chasing, tis the season!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-14-2019 at 12:54 AM

Long story short, we had been out of touch for about a week, set up camp on Bahia Concepcion about 10 at night, ‘bout 3 am the wind and sideways rain starts, at daylight me and the girl get up and it’s dead calm but still all cloudy. The rest of the crew gets up and we decide to go make coffee.

We were about 50 yards from camp and as soon as we turned to go make coffee the sideways rain starts. We make coffee, decide to not wait it out and pack up and head to Santa Rosalia. Having lunch we get some internet and found out we woke up in the eye of hurricane Newton.

We decided to head north to try and get out of its way and on the way out of town have to ford 4 major flows across the road, I know, don’t want to hear it, wasn’t the smartest thing driving thru 2 feet of running water but it all worked out. We were two trucks with a plan if it went sideways, literally and we were the last ones out of town before the road got closed.

By about 5 we were in Visciano and the sky was partly cloudy with a giant double rainbow that touched down on both sides. The next day headed up to San Rafeal with not a cloud in the sky and probably 8 foot waves breaking right before they hit the beach. We had great fishing off the beach for two days and perfect weather all the way home.

I grew up in Florida and weather is cool for me, I like it on the destructive side.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 10:25 AM

This forecast is a week out, so who knows how close it will be, but it could make for some interesting surf along the southwestern Baja coast!

https://www.windy.com/?2019-08-25-12,26.077,-109.578,5

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 09:49 PM

Wow, worth watching for sure. Hope you don't get your wish, Shari. Be safe all on western south cape.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 08:05 AM

Had the pleasure of riding out TS Pablo Oct 2012 in Mulege 3 years after the big one "Jimena" Sept 2009
Not a lot of wind/rain in town but too much in the mtns west of town so flash flood down the valley. The high water came down during the night so you can't see whats going on. knocked out power/internet/ and some water mains. so utilities take awhile to get back on line.
Hurricanes you usually always have a few days to prepare, I have also been in a tornado in Okla. many years ago, no warning on those but don't last long or have the enormous amount of rain usually.
Would not recommend sitting thru a hurricane just to see what it's like.
Of course in a couple of days it's all dry and mostly fun again.

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-21-2019 at 04:06 PM

Looks like IVO will be coming up the chute this weekend! We anticipate a big swell on Sunday for some fun storm wave watching from Asuncion. Probably no rain for us...sigh...we need to to kick start pithaya season!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 10:01 AM

Obviously, it is not a good idea to camp in an arroyo during a hurricane. Video I made showing after effects of Sergio at a mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svKRsktOGD8&t=320s
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 10:35 AM

Interesting video, I think it should be watched from the beginning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svKRsktOGD8

It is pretty amazing how Nature erased all the mining digs in the arroyo! It has vanished!
Are the early 1900 ruins also gone?
Thank you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-4-2019 at 10:25 AM
I think I will cancell my reservation!

Dorian has caused me to re-evaluate the thrill of the chase!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.