BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Tracker side by sides & Quads: Qs?
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 08:19 PM
Tracker side by sides & Quads: Qs?

Given the popularity of the side by sides and quads for baja, i've been trying to convince myself they are worth the money. weird that i can buy a good used 4wd truck or sport ute for what one of these things cost new! Unfortunately, my wife has desided she wants one!

so recently i saw the tracker line-up at the Cabellas shop (for you history buffs , the original in Sydney Nebraska!). prices seem pretty good - and they make a big deal about made in the USA.

However, they don't seem to be really interested in telling me exactly whos making their engines. For me, thats the ultimate question. If they are running hond or yamaha or Kawasaki engines, I';d be all over it, but I suspect they are running briggs and stratton or some other crap.

anyone have any info on these units?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 08:28 PM

Only farmers and old people buy golf carts! I don’t think you are a farmer,... So engine mfg doesn’t matter, the engine will outlive you!

On a more serious note, you can look up details on mfg websites....

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 09:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Only farmers and old people buy golf carts! I don’t think you are a farmer,... So engine mfg doesn’t matter, the engine will outlive you!

On a more serious note, you can look up details on mfg websites....

not a serious farmer, but I do have 40 acres - no mule though. a small fruit orchard, 2 produce gardens, and all sorts of cutting moving and dumping stuff.

I did go to the manufacturers website -
https://www.trackeroffroad.com/about.html
and as I said, they don't seem to want to give up the engine manufacturer, They give CC sizes, Hp ratings, efi Na etc, but no mention of manufacturer that I could find
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 09:17 PM

Tracker and Textron have partnered to build Tracker and Arctic Cat SxS.

Apparently the engines will be built by Textron (Arctic Cat) in Wisconsin. Textron purchased Weber, a German engine company and moved the manufacturing to Wisconsin
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 09:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Given the popularity of the side by sides and quads for baja, i've been trying to convince myself they are worth the money. weird that i can buy a good used 4wd truck or sport ute for what one of these things cost new! Unfortunately, my wife has desided she wants one!

I'd get the Tracker Off Road XTR1000 if I wanted side by side.

Comes down to lifestyle. Are you riding with your wife a lot? Is she a passenger or driver too?

I have a Honda Rincon and love it. 650cc. If my wife wanted to ride, I'd get her a Honda Rancher. (420cc).

If you like riding together, then the side by side. I wouldn't get a 4 seater unless I had a family riding along.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-14-2019 at 04:21 AM

I would look for a polaris 900. Sporty enough suspension and alot of them for sale ever since the 1000 came out several years ago.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2019 at 05:40 AM

You'll need service and repairs so consider where you can get parts and service quickly. Having your SxS not out and playing sucks! Look at SxS dealers. Most sell several brands. When you find what you really like and need look around for a used one with a good service record and the add-on you want. They are all expensive so spend a little more on quality. I love my Polaris Ranger.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2019 at 07:16 AM

Tracker/Wildcat are the same product. To get up to speed go the web source for Wildcat. From my reading probably a good choice? Other comparables include Can AM or Polaris. Forget about Honda who are brand new to the SXS. Mixed reviews for Yamaha.
If you want to go with a full modified desert setup the Polaris has the most support. Other brands will lead to nothing but frustration.
Agree-cost, I do not have one due to the huge expense and limited usage.
Off road only for most every place in the US which is a big deterrent to owning one. Not an issue in Baja.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-14-2019 at 09:17 AM

Only problem with all SXS the drive belt breaking lot of work to keep running. The Yamaha late model no belt to break very little work to keep running. Sad as Yamaha only makes two seater as 4 seaters ride much better for Baja. For me since my Off road Toyota has AC and windows . I wont be buying one anytime soon . Also cost way less.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2019 at 09:37 AM

Good belt life reported on Wildcats. All others are not so good except Yamaha
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2019 at 11:52 AM

Do NOT get a quad. Boring and very dangerous. Get a RZR 900 or 1000. The ride is very smooth.

Thank me later.

[Edited on 8-14-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2019 at 12:47 PM

On putting long travel mods on the razor leave it stock. All amigos with them break down every other ride leave it be.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-14-2019 at 04:10 PM

buy a 4x4 jeep...you can thank ME later : )

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2019 at 06:22 PM

I have two well built jeeps and use my RZR more. It depends on what you want to do, rock crawling and camping buy a jeep! Trail riding and sight seeing in Baja, get a SXS. What would take hours of driving at five miles per hour in a jeep (desert running) will take thirty minutes in a SXS!
I've has 2 Polaris RZR'S, an 800 and now a 1000. Both with stock suspension with only shock up grades and I have had no break downs,0! Like bajatrailrider said, stock is good. I would stick to the big two in the game the longest, Polaris and Can Am. A friend has 4K miles on his Can Am without a problem. Unless you want to haul ass every where, the Yamaha sucks....
As for belts, I went 2500 miles on the original belt in my 800 and only changed it because I felt like I might be pushing it.1200 on my 1000 rock and trail addition Polaris and still have the stock belt with two trips to Moab! When you are rock crawling or hill climbing, stop put it in low and your belt will last a long time.
Not sure where you are but if your near Nor Cal (Sutter Creek) let me know and I can set it up to take you for a ride and test drive a few that ride with me.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2019 at 05:49 AM

Concern over belt replacement is just like concern over fuel.
I watched belt replacement on a Polaris at a motel in San Felipe. It took the guy 5 minutes. Definitely not a big deal. Just carry a spare belt. The thing came with the required tool.
Fuel is another concern here in Baja due to the small fuel tank. Carrying extra in a plastic jug is the primary reason for all the fires. A fuel tank upgrade is probably required.
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2019 at 06:02 AM

Have 3 yr old RZR900-4. Original belt. No mechanical issues. Have in- line clutch fan to help cool clutch and belt. Maybe makes difference ? Have S&B particle separator, which is a must for desert conditions, otherwise pretty much stock. Have RZR570. went 4 yrs with stock belt. Belt can be changed on trail with simple tools in about 10 minutes. Always carry a replacement belt just like always carry extra fuel and water. Just makes sense to do in the desert.
Have a buddy with RZR 1000. Not so lucky with belts and clutch.
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 8-15-2019 at 07:52 AM

8400 miles with my RZR XP 1000 and now 6500 miles on my Can Am XRS Max all off-road miles in Baja Sur with No blown belts or major breakdowns, I carry extra fuel and an assortment of tools if there is a problem. I always add aftermarket accessories to the suspension and modify the shocks. A particle separator is a must for the Baja silt. The people I ride with all have gps and communication systems. Basically we’re set up like a “poor mans trophy truck”. Maintenance and getting to know your machine is the key to a problem free day on the trail.
As mentioned above a Jeep will work......just take your lunch and maybe a sleeping bag along. Ten miles an hour in a Jeep ( I have one) or thirty miles an hour in a side by side with a much smoother ride.....you decide.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2019 at 08:16 AM

I like what you guys are saying about good service with razors. Sad that most all friends of mine . Don't have that luck as they park there trucks at my house. Unload the razors leave for 3 to 4 days then the call I don't want to hear. Can you come with trailer pick one up. Im thinking these guys just trash these things. So driving it to last is Key that is how I drive all my 4 wheel dirt toys. As far as mixed reviews on Late Yamaha the two that own them. Had razors they are in my group of friends with them. They love the Yamahas have had Zero problems. I drove them and the razors I like them both. Sad Yamaha only two seat so no go for me.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2019 at 08:19 AM

My next one will be a 1000 four seater with a rear seat delete... Nice to have the extra room for, gas,tools,chairs and a cooler. I've been very happy with the non turbo model and other then wide open desert can hang with the turbo guys. A four seat would make it easier to use as a camping rig too...
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2019 at 08:46 AM

Something to consider
I have seen RZR's and SxS burn to the ground due to carrying extra fuel.
Their design with very hot engine exhausts up high in the rear always finds a way to get together with rack stored extra fuel containers that gets beaten into a leaking state.

My VW air cooled dune buggy has been working for decades for a lot less than $30K

Es Todo Bueno
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.