BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: Driving from Canada to Los Cabos: Smart or Dumb Idea?
Good idea, go for it --- 4 (28.57%)
Dumb idea, just fly in --- 10 (71.43%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Driving from Canada to Los Cabos: Smart or Dumb Idea?
SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2019 at 05:41 PM

It looks like your idea about visiting Cabo could use some tweaks here and there, but your biggest issue seems to be persuading your wife that this trip is something she and the kids can do safely.

You might find someone you both know and trust that has been to Cabo and have a conversation.

In the future you might want to check out the book "Pre-suasion" by Robert Cialdini before you try to get your wife to agree to something she has never done before.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 11:53 AM

"The only concern my wife has is about crime, including from police. Not necessarily being targeted, maybe just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, like accidentally witnessing a drug deal or something like that. This is the link she keeps showing me about murders"
Possible, but unprobable to occur.

I am a solo old lady and I have traveled in Baja Calif, and other Mexico cities by myself many, many times and have never had a problem.
The fact that you are traveling with a wife and children is a plus. Targets for crime against gringos are usually young males, people who have flashy stuff in their truck bed that beg to be stolen. The only hazard you should be concerned with is bad drivers on Highway 1. Sometimes other drivers go too fast and end up in your lane when making sharp turns. Passing slow semi-trucks; semi-trucks passing you; the unexpected pothole. Observe road signs, go slow through towns. Your wife should feel comfortable after the first 5 hours.
There are other women on this forum who also travel solo in Baja.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 03:03 PM

A little less than two years ago I started this thread about taking 4 weeks to travel from New England to BCS (Todos Santos, to be specific) and decided that spending 50% of my "vacation" driving wasn't a vacation at all. We were planning to travel with our dog, and flying to Cabo with a 40-pound dog is wrought with issues, hence our decision to drive instead.

Long story short, we thought better of it and instead planned to board our pooch and spend a week per usual. As it turns out my employer eliminated the paid 4-week sabbatical just before I reached my 10-year anniversary (which would have triggered the service award), so trips for longer than a week or so (and hopefully with our dog Tito, who is featured in my avatar) will have to wait until I retire and schedule is no longer a concern.

[Edited on 8-18-2019 by pauldavidmena]

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 12:43 AM

Why can't we just take people at face value, rather than assume he is some troll? Some of you read JJJ posts for too long. All Go Fund Me accounts are not scams. All Americans are not illegally in Mexico. All ills of Mexico are not caused by Americans and Canadians.

All his questions, including the poll, just seem like what a savvy social media guy might do with his first post. Glad to see many are giving their opinions.

Here's mine.

Don't drive to Cabo in that timeframe. You are asking for a divorce, if she is that set against it. If even one little thing goes wrong in all that driving time, she will be a wreck. Especially when murders DO occur in Cabo, and the papers report it, or you hear the shots. They likely WILL occur. For many of us who were going to Cabo in the 80s, we cant believe the murder rates now. But it won't involve tourists.

Don't put the monetary value of that Cabo property over the value of your relationship with your wife. Whatever its cost, the Big D and the Big CS are bigger.

I still think you could have a good time if you flew there in that time frame, though.

Just too much time for her to think about what could go wrong in all that driving time............
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 09:08 AM

For me the greatest joy of Baja is in the driving.
I love to see the desert in all of its forms and the days at the wheel are pure joy.
Drove straight home from La Paz one time. Breakfast at the Los Arcos and at my desk in Modesto the next morning.
But, not with wife and kids aboard.....
And, if the great sense of peace behind the wheel (even on a narrow 2 lane no shoulders Baja road) is not your thing, then best listen to the others.

Driving to TJ and taking an inexpensive flight to Cabo is certainly a good option.
For me, missing the drive is missing all the fun,
but again, that is just my spin

By all means (sorry Doug, no pun intended) get to Baja and enjoy the great things it has to offer.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 11:04 AM

There is no doubt that, for many on this board, the joy of the drive and the joy of arriving at places that arent easily accessible by air, is THE attraction in Baja.

Cabo is just not where Nomads tend to go in Baja.

But it just cant feasibly be done in that time frame and at that time of year. It's possible, but not feasible, IMO.

[Edited on 8-19-2019 by Hook]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by echino  
If I can't convince her in the coming months, we will need to lose the prepaid reservation for the Christmas week in Cabo. It is a two bedroom villa at Cabo Azul, we paid about $1,400 total for the week, which is very reasonable for that kind of almost luxury accommodation. That's why we booked it in the first place, but now with expensive tickets for the whole family we cannot afford to fly. Does anyone want that week at cost? I would even let it go at a loss. It's transferable. But I still hope to convince her to go. It would be a great adventure, I am sure.

OK, I'll bite. What are the dates at Cabo Azul? I have a friend that might be interested.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 11:02 AM

Sounds a lot like this is a drive, for you. That's nice, I like the drive as well, wherever it takes us. But I've been retired a long time, have little or no time restrictions Fast trips may not be the best for you and your family especially on a long drive down the Baja Penninsula. I did not get just how much time, overall, you would have. Roads are often narrow, mostly with oncoming traffic, with buses and semis being wider than car traffic especially on corners, and, to me, no driving after dark, as strange things do happen in the dark. Almost alllways, there is no shoulder on roadways and edges of the road in places can just be drop-offs. Your Canadian insurance is void in Mexico, you need to arrange for Mexican coverage. You will want a TIP (Temporary Import Permit) for your car, and FMM (Tourist Permits) for you and your family. Passports of course. I would forsake the Cabo arrangement and go part way down only, if time did permit. This would give you some time at least to enjoy Baja, not just the grey asphalt. The best ideas are already above, doing air travel, maybe out of Tijauna. We have driven to Mainland Mexico for winters, enjoyed simply doing 250 miles a day with a motor home. Have never driven at night there, either. What you will find once you go - especially if you have time - is that the people are wonderful, good folks that you will always remember. I have seen that in Baja and it does not change 1500 miles south of the border. The warmer weather is the icing on the cake.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 11:17 AM

Fly in, rent a jeep or something and go to Cabo Azul and enjoy circumnavigating the peninsula sur on daily trips. It's amazing and there are endless places to explore and so much to see and do from there. It's perfect.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 11:18 AM

A really good solution. Sell the Costa Azul thing to Lee's friend and spend all your time from Mulege to Loreto. Get there quickly by car and then slooooooow down.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 11:28 AM

Very good idea if you eliminate Cabo and take your time.

La Paz or Loreto >>>>>>>>>>> Cabo.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 11:44 AM

ABC (Anywhere But Cabo) ? :cool::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 11:58 AM

chalk this up to different strokes but CSL is my favorite town in baja, over 30 years of spending thanksgiving week there i've seen the town grow some, but yeah, this time you might want to fly!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
chalk this up to different strokes but CSL is my favorite town in baja, over 30 years of spending thanksgiving week there i've seen the town grow some, but yeah, this time you might want to fly!

It is very special that Baja has something for everyone! :light::bounce:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 01:06 PM
Temporary Import Permit???

Quote: Originally posted by daveB  
Sounds a lot like this is a drive, for you. That's nice, I like the drive as well, wherever it takes us. But I've been retired a long time, have little or no time restrictions Fast trips may not be the best for you and your family especially on a long drive down the Baja Penninsula. I did not get just how much time, overall, you would have. Roads are often narrow, mostly with oncoming traffic, with buses and semis being wider than car traffic especially on corners, and, to me, no driving after dark, as strange things do happen in the dark. Almost alllways, there is no shoulder on roadways and edges of the road in places can just be drop-offs. Your Canadian insurance is void in Mexico, you need to arrange for Mexican coverage. You will want a TIP (Temporary Import Permit) for your car, and FMM (Tourist Permits) for you and your family. Passports of course. I would forsake the Cabo arrangement and go part way down only, if time did permit. This would give you some time at least to enjoy Baja, not just the grey asphalt. The best ideas are already above, doing air travel, maybe out of Tijauna. We have driven to Mainland Mexico for winters, enjoyed simply doing 250 miles a day with a motor home. Have never driven at night there, either. What you will find once you go - especially if you have time - is that the people are wonderful, good folks that you will always remember. I have seen that in Baja and it does not change 1500 miles south of the border. The warmer weather is the icing on the cake.

For a 10 day back and forth?
Is this a new rule that applies to Canadians?
Where did you dredge this up from??
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 01:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
A really good solution. Sell the Costa Azul thing to Lee's friend and spend all your time from Mulege to Loreto. Get there quickly by car and then slooooooow down.

Bail on cabo for mulege?
Better idea is to sell cabo reservation, and fly to thailand or south africa for xmas vacation :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 02:07 PM

ABB (Anywhere But Baja) ?

echino

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
OK, I'll bite. What are the dates at Cabo Azul? I have a friend that might be interested.

December 21-28, 2019, if you are serious.

I will also ask around maybe some friends of friends would want to go. It will solve the problem. If not, I still hope to persuade my wife to go.

If we can get rid of the Cabo Azul reservation, then maybe we will just dip our toes into Baja by going to Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs for two nights. We plan to be around Joshua Tree National Park in California for the New Years anyway (the plan was to drive there after Baja), and the border is close.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by echino  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

December 21-28, 2019, if you are serious.

I will also ask around maybe some friends of friends would want to go. It will solve the problem. If not, I still hope to persuade my wife to go.

If we can get rid of the Cabo Azul reservation, then maybe we will just dip our toes into Baja by going to Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs for two nights. We plan to be around Joshua Tree National Park in California for the New Years anyway (the plan was to drive there after Baja), and the border is close.

U2U please.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 8-22-2019 at 09:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Quote: Originally posted by daveB  

For a 10 day back and forth?
Is this a new rule that applies to Canadians?
Where did you dredge this up from??
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.