Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Requirements when traveling back/forth often
loretojohn

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 11:18 AM
Thank you for all replies

Again, I have learned so much reading the wisdom of the experienced Baja residents and travelers.

So, we will get an FFM each time we travel. We own a house in Loreto Bay and plan to travel back and forth every two months. We will drive down in October and back in late April. Like one other person who responded, we live in Oregon.

Maybe this question should be asked in a new post but driving to Loreto where are the good places to stay and to avoid?

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

John
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 08:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

You start to realize why some are just fine with simply getting the occasional tourist visa at around 550 pesos for six months. Especially if it is ONLY six months per year they are there. Especially if they are over, say, 65 and not sure how much longer they want to live in Mexico. To invest 770.00 per person might not be the wisest way to go.

Then there's the cost of paying someone to shepherd you through these processes if you aren't willing to do it yourself at the INM offices. That cost varies widely. Getting a tourist visa can be done by anyone.
Re the cost of obtaining perm res card - the fact that I'm over 65 is the primary reason I obtained the perm res card last year. I figure at some point I'll be staying somewhere in Mexico permanently and plan to spend my last days there - so having the perm resident card will be a necessity eventually. I spent about $450 usd to get the card including $150 usd to hire a Mexican "facilitator" to make it happen. It was an easy and simple process and I have no regrets. I never had a temp res card.

"I'm too young to be this old!"
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
If you actually own property then you can get your permanent residency card. I don't know of any pitfalls.
I have perm res card and never owned property in Mexico.

"I'm too young to be this old!"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by loretojohn  
Again, I have learned so much reading the wisdom of the experienced Baja residents and travelers.

Maybe this question should be asked in a new post but driving to Loreto where are the good places to stay and to avoid?

John

My picks are:
1) Baja Cactus Motel if on Hwy. 1, El Rosario (next to the gas station), 225 miles south of the border, 5-6 hours.
2) Hotel La Huerta, just past the mission in San Ignacio, 500 miles from the border.

If using Hwy. 5 to go south, Hotel Sky Blue, Km. 182, north of San Felipe, 115 miles south of the border.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Also, many banks charge a LOT of money to dissolve a trust. For us, it simply wasnt worth considering. It was like 12-15 years worth of trust fees to end the trust, as I recall. In addition, a trust does provide inheritance rights on the land, without the need for a Mexican will.

I paid $1800 US to dissolve the fideicomiso on property we purchased last year.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by loretojohn  

So, we will get an FFM each time we travel. We own a house in Loreto Bay and plan to travel back and forth every two months. We will drive down in October and back in late April. Like one other person who responded, we live in Oregon.

John

Don't use the term FMM as a synonym for a tourist visa- that is incorrect. (I know a lot of people on this forum use the term that way, but it's wrong)
An FMM is a Mexican migratory document which ALL non-citizens have to fill out when flying back and forth. Temporary and permanent residents have to fill them out as well. The difference is that the bottom half of the form is retained by tourists and serves as your tourist visa and has an expiry date when you have to leave the country. Residents hand the top half of the card in to immigration when they fly in, and the smaller bottom half is stamped by immigration and handed in at the airline desk when you check in for your flight out of Mexico.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 07:18 PM

Surabi, I think most of us on Nomad travel by land. The flying FMM is different as I also have flown in and bought one of those, too.
Indeed the term "tourist visa" is incorrect as it is not a visa but so similar to a visa, you can hardly blame anyone for using the term. It is (or was) officially a "tourist card" or tourist permit, since it never was a 'card' but a paper.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 10:24 AM

Flying in and out is very common for Mexico mainland expats and part-time expats, regardless of their status. Less common for Baja, though people living in La Paz / Cabo area often choose to fly.

Loreto is in between, those living farther than Ca still use LTO airport often, exceptions are people with many dogs or those who just like to be on the road for days.

I would think twice before moving to spend my last days in Mexico with RP. If anything happens, in Baja you're in the middle of nowhere except for Tij-Rosarito corridor, the fun of being in that location is questionable - and still too far for emergency. On the mainland, unless you're prepared to pay big money for private hospital (think dozens thousand dollars), you have to live in urban hubs like Guadalajara or CDMX where air quality sucks.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Surabi, I think most of us on Nomad travel by land. The flying FMM is different as I also have flown in and bought one of those, too.
Indeed the term "tourist visa" is incorrect as it is not a visa but so similar to a visa, you can hardly blame anyone for using the term. It is (or was) officially a "tourist card" or tourist permit, since it never was a 'card' but a paper.

I have driven and flown, both many times. There was never a difference in the actual form itself.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 03:59 PM

I am pretty sure that the second M of the FMM stands for 'multiple(use)'

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 04:06 PM

John, If you decide to leave a rig at each end on your plane ride be sure it has very low value because it will soon deteriorate. Keep a reliable nice rig at your home in each place and find a good mechanic at each end to get the airport car functional enough to get you home.
A quick trip to any airport you will find these clunkers stored. Never will you see a nice one unless it is for a very short plane trip.
IMO, the best solution is to use a taxi to get from the airport to your home at each end. If the airport is to far for a taxi find a friend to drive you.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 09:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Forma Migratoria Multiplé´

Not a "tourist card", which is just one of the uses for it. Used by Mexico for statistical purposes to keep track of entries and exits of foreigners, whether tourists or residents. Residents are required to fill one out when flying, they don't seem to require it when driving, although many residents do hand them in when driving.

[Edited on 10-8-2019 by surabi]

[Edited on 10-8-2019 by surabi]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 10:06 PM

I think "multiple" means various purposes, not multiple use. Makes sense if you consider that this is a mandatory document for all kind of US/CAN visitors regardless of their purpose. Used to be a single-entry - even after they changed the form name from FMT to FMM, but now it is apparently multiple-entry, or so INM says. Messy...
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 11:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

I think "multiple" means various purposes, not multiple use. Makes sense if you consider that this is a mandatory document for all kind of US/CAN visitors regardless of their purpose. Used to be a single-entry - even after they changed the form name from FMT to FMM, but now it is apparently multiple-entry, or so INM says. Messy...

Yes, various purposes. I've never heard of the same piece of paper being used for multiple entries in and out of the country- a new one has to be filled out each time. You hand one part to INM when you fly in, and the other part to the airline when you fly out. Same if you drive. But I haven't been a tourist for a long time, maybe there's some special one for tourists that they can come in and out on until it expires, but I've certainly never heard of that. The info I've always known to be true is that once a tourist leaves the country, legally his stay is over and he has to hand in the tourist card and get another when he comes back.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 07:23 AM

The 180 day (land travel) FMM is valid for 180 days, once it is validated at the border, on your first trip with it.
It does NOT need to be returned.
It could be for one long trip or several short trips within the 180 days.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 03:36 PM

It is not me making the rules... I asked the INM personal at Tijuana, Tecate, and Mexicali, more than once... and that is the answer I have repeated got, going back to 2009.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It is not me making the rules... I asked the INM personal at Tijuana, Tecate, and Mexicali, more than once... and that is the answer I have repeated got, going back to 2009.

They are not making the rules either - they are "making it up" :). As a frequent tourist to Mexico you are probably aware that INM officers are neither quoting the law nor responsible for whatever they say.

Here is another law-related gossip, from Discover Baja: "the INM has recently said that FMM tourist permits can be used for multiple entries in and out of Mexico, through the end date of the permit". Until we see this officially published by Mex govt, this is but a gossip.
But then, they got some other marvels there, ex. "Your temporary resident or permanent resident card already functions as your permit to be in Mexico. You do not need to obtain an FMM tourist permit on top of this" - a dangerously misleading statement. You do need to obtain FMM if you are RT/RP, even though it doesn't serve as a "permit" for a holder of RT/RP.

Just goes to show that the law and what people are saying about the law are 2 different things.

[Edited on 10-8-2019 by Alm]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 07:21 PM

Living on the mainland and having driven across the border in Nogales several times, as well as having driven across the border in Baja a few times, I have found that the INM border officials in Baja are not fully conversant with immigration law, which is federal. So yes, they are "making it up".
Nor are the Baja customs officials informed. Years ago, when I became a permanent resident and had to get my Japanese made, Canadian plated car out of Mexico, I took the ferry to Baja, visited family in Todos Santos, then drove up to the border. Once I found the customs office in Tecate, which wasn't easy, I asked that they scrape off my sticker and give me the documentation that I had removed the vehicle, as I could no longer use it in Mexico due to being a permanent resident. The customs guy asked me where I'd heard such a thing. I tapped the badge on his chest and said "From your jefes in Mexico City". He hadn't heard anything about the new regulations.

[Edited on 10-9-2019 by surabi]

[Edited on 10-9-2019 by surabi]
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2019 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by goldie12  
Surabi wrote," he customs guy asked me where I'd heard such a thing. I tapped the badge on his chest and said "From your jefes in Mexico City". He hadn't heard anything about the new regulations."

I hope this is a BS story, because only an idiot American, would poke his big fat finger, on a Mexican official's chest, and tell him he is WRONG!

Who does that?

It reads to me like it was just a friendly tap, like having a laugh with the guy about the rules. Did not read as aggressive or obstinate to me. Maybe you're looking for something that isn't there?

John
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2019 at 08:23 PM

Alm, The two statements you quoted were exactly what the head if INM told us at a meeting in San Felipe.
Fmm is good per date on the paper and good for multiple entries.
The PR TR allows freedom to cross the border without an FMM. The INM person at the border does not even read the card. All I do is flash it.
Not gossip. Not misinformation. Been crossing with no issue for several years with my PR card.
Your misinformation is harmful to many reading on Nomads.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.