Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: SAN IGNACIO ON FIRE!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 06:00 PM
SAN IGNACIO ON FIRE!

Just saw this on Facebook, thanks to Desert Bull...
Right now: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2217061911918741

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 06:01 PM

It is on the highway side of the river (what can be seen), near Rice & Beans, in San Lino.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 06:04 PM

Again...sad.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 06:06 PM

Spanish and English:

La Voz del Pacífico 91.3 FM is in San Ignacio, Baja California Sur.
1 hr · (5 pm PDT)

Nos informan de fuerte incendio en el palmar de San Lino, en San Ignacio Kadakaaman, se ocupa ayuda de unidades de bomberos de otras comunidades, hay hogares en las inmediaciones, familias ya fueron evacuadas. A la espera que se genere más información para ampliar.

#Actualización 18:30. Apoyo del Equipo Móvil del H. Cuerpo de Bomberos Industriales de Exportadora de Sal. SA de CV con 10 elementos, una pipa con capacidad de 10 mil litros unidad de ataque rápido de comando.

Video propiedad de Andrea Espinoza Liera.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are informed of strong fire in the palmar de San Lino, in San Ignacio Kadakaamán, it takes care of fire units from other communities, there are homes in the vicinity, families have already been evacuated. Waiting for more information to be generated to expand.

#Update 18:30. Support of the h mobile team. Industrial Fire Corps of salt exporter. Sa de CV with 10 elements, a pipe with capacity of 10 thousand liters fast commando attack unit.

Video owned by Andrea Espinoza Liera.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 06:08 PM

Looks bad !
I wonder if there is much of a Bombaros Department there ? Probably not as it's such a small town.

Sure hope there's not much loss of property or any lives...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 06:24 PM

Super Suck
The dry fronds will carry fire until out of fuel or continuity
Hearts out to San Ignacio
Lionel
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Looks bad !
I wonder if there is much of a Bombaros Department there ? Probably not as it's such a small town.

Sure hope there's not much loss of property or any lives...

Small department
Lionel
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 07:42 PM

Sadly- this is an all-too-frequent event. One reason residents build with cinderblocks to keep loss of property to a minimum.

A few years ago I watched as a crew of volunteer firefighters explored setting up a series of pumps and pipes in properties along the shores of the oasis, to give residents and firefighters easier access to water. Not sure if it was ever installed.

One of the limits was lack of electricity in some of the areas to operate the pumps.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 07:49 PM

At my shack in Mulege, it is mandatory to remove all the dead palm fronds every couple of years. This would significantly reduce the fire hazard in towns with a lot of palm trees.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-17-2019 at 08:12 PM

Sad indeed
That is such a sweet and mellow drive into town from the highway.

Palm fronds are real fuel monsters
I remember a few years ago when the Willis Palm Grove just north of Thousand Palms near Palm Springs burned
It lit up the sky for miles
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 06:53 AM

I hope everyone was able to get themselves and their critters out of the way! It is sure to do a lot of damage to many structures, but the palms themselves are likely to survive.

A year after the fire in the Comondus, I was amazed by the amount of new growth on those blackened trunks.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 07:58 AM

I have friends that live in San Lino. Their homes are ok but it is a mess. Phones are on and off, soot and smoke everywhere. Water has been spotty for a while also.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 08:14 AM

Seems like there was a fire in that area 3 or 4 years ago also. If you choose to not keep the trees trimmed up it can easily happen.
Some developments are not letting palm roofs on casas be used anymore even with the casa being concrete.
If you have ever seen a palm roof get on fire you might think hard about having one even tho they really unique

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 09:10 AM

fire 68467199_2416946805050950_9107476858382843904_n.jpg - 56kB

fire 68467218_1406129976201934_976624994165456896_n.jpg - 209kB

fire 68968710_1406129969535268_554613924410949632_n.jpg - 140kB

fire after 69461403_2691060214249748_1962967296003538944_n.jpg - 173kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 09:24 AM

Thanks for updating the page with the photos and San Lino report.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 09:31 AM

Thanks BajaNomad, dramatic photos indeed! Anybody else notice the guy in the third photo pushing the red truck out into the clearing?

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 09:34 AM

there was a huge fire in 2013, im guessing those palms must be pretty hearty?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 10:03 AM

Before Baja, I used to travel to Manzanillo, in the state of Colima. There was a commercial palm grove there that produced both coconuts, and oil type palm nuts.
One year our arrival was just after a cyclona, and the palm grove looked like a telephone pole farm of topless trunks. On the next vist, two years later, it was back in production, just with a little shorter trees!

[Edited on 8-18-2019 by AKgringo]

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 10:19 AM

Great photos! Thanks for the post and update.

Closer to home: the Palm Canyon trail in Anza Borrego State Park has good interpretive displays explaining the history and role of fire in the palm groves.

Indigenous people routinely used controlled fires to thin out the undergrowth/dead fronds and keep vermin under control, from the Baja region up to Joshua Tree. Fire scars are common on the older palm trunks- they survive so long as there is not enough fuel to "top" the palms and kill the live fronds growing at the top.

Does anyone know if there are "controlled burn" programs in Baja Sur, or any programs to help keep the fronds trimmed? It would be a lot of work at first, and a challenge to prevent the fire from spreading with so much fuel, but could be worthwhile in the long run.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 11:17 AM

Hopefully the Mission is saved. That would be a disaster.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.