Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Im out
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 09:05 AM
Im out

Last Friday, the 9th, the sale of my house closed and on Saturday, I drove away for the last time from the house I have lived in for 28 1/2 years, homeless. That afternoon I finished up some stuff I needed to do, loaded the Tacoma with some things that needed to go south and hit the road about 9 pm.

After I stopped in El Cajon Sunday morning to drop some stuff off I headed east to El centro. Got a hotel room that afternoon and hung out at the pool dreading Monday. The truck I had packed on Friday with all my stuff in was supposed to show up at about 8 or 11:30, whatever, so I could unload it into a storage place I got there.

By 11am it was tickling 100 plus degrees, ack!! I’m guessing because it’s so close to the border there, Home Depoters aren’t a thing, and they aren’t. A call to People Ready had me two guys in less than 45 minutes and they came to me. It was a 4 hour minimum at $25/hr per guy but that could have been the best $200 for 2 1/2 hours work I’ve spent in a long time.

I had to head back to El Cajon to do some banking crap and decided trying to get back to Mexicali to cross was pushing it so I got my ex to put up a homeless guy for a night. Her and her novio and I had a nice dinner of $3.75 ea tacos on me for the trouble and on Tuesday morning after using her printer for a while, I headed east to cross at Mexicali and head down to San Felipe.

I drove thru the border with a smile and a wave with my outboard in the bed under a basket I have mounted and in front of a giant cooler I had strapped down on its side and open. Nothing to see here, just an empty cooler coming thru and it was off for tacos at 23 miles south on 5. Got into San Felipe about 4 and my contractor had already closed for the day.

I figured since it was on the way into town I may as well stop and see the progress on my “taller“ and I was pleasantly surprised seeing how they had asked me for money and I said I wouldn't be there for a week but they should just keep going, and they did. Pretty nice flat smooth and level slab with about 3 feet of walls all around.

After checking things out I headed into town to my favorite hotel and proceeded to turn the AC as low as it would go and had a few beers. I won’t lie, it is hot as balls here right now but I’ve been making myself be out in it to try and get used to it. Yes it will suck for a few months a year but I’m pretty sure it will suit me pretty well.

So that’s it, sold my business, sold my house, packed up my house and shop and headed to Baja. The shop container should be here in a month, maybe less, just before the shop gets done and I can figure out how to get 54,000 lbs of stuff out of the container and into the shop. By October or November the shop should be in full swing and the house being built off the eastern side just about complete.

Let the new chapter begin now. If you’re ever in or thru San Felipe, don’t be shy. Drop me a line and stop in for some tacos and beers. For anyone interested, i have adventuresofbaja on Instagram and I’m going to try and keep that pretty updated with all kinds of stuff I’m doing all over Baja.

A side note, if anyone needs a fishing partner, I have gear to 100 lb, will travel and split expenses.

Cheers

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 09:34 AM

Good for you!! Sounds like you're free from the SoCal rat race and living your dream! Enjoy and don't look back!

[Edited on 8-18-2019 by BajaParrothead]
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 09:39 AM

Good for you, I did the same 20 years ago (only to BoLA) and have never regretted it. I spend summers up in San Diego cause it gets too hot in BoLA, but you probably have town power and can run AC. I don't have that luxury. Enjoy!

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 09:41 AM

Best of luck to you!
There is a lot of folks on the San Felipe Chatter Facebook page as well as the South Campos Facebook page for you to connect with. I imagine there are more Facebook.

What is your shop into producing? Will you be in business or just hobby stuff?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 09:51 AM

Congratulations, and I intend to check in with you when I am able to head south again! I have a plan to get at least a part time residence in Baja, and the sale of my home in Anchorage should allow me to afford at least a modest home.

One advantage I have over you, is that the pile of things I couldn't bear to part with (yet) could be hauled in a full size pick up! I don't even have fishing gear anymore, I will get what I need, if and when I need it.

I can't handle the heat where I am in northern CA right now, so I will be looking in places like Bahia Asuncion, so I may soon be able to offer you a cooler get away spot.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 10:30 AM

Starting a new chapter in you're life is an exciting time.

Hope all goes great for you in your new life.....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 10:53 AM

Congrats! It´s nice to be free of that overpriced, overtaxed and overcrowded state. I sold last May.

¿Taller de que?

[Edited on 8-18-2019 by chippy]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 10:58 AM

good for you!!! now you are IN...not out! Welcome to the club.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 11:32 AM

Welcome to San Felipe.

We're south of town in the South Campos. Mostly full time although we do like to travel (currently in WI heading towards Canada). Be happy to buy you a beer when we get back sometime next month.
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 11:33 AM

This is why I joined Baja Nomad. People like this with a good attitude and loving life.

Cheers Amigo. And happy adventures !
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 11:44 AM

Hope your Baja wishes and dreams come true. CONGRATS!!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 11:51 AM

what kind of shop will you have?

Harald Pietschmann
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 01:10 PM

Huge congrats my man. But keep heading South.

I can't get through SF fast enough

Loreto and La Paz are the best of Baja. Especially if you like the water and the best offroad trails.

SF is a MX party town and a weekend destination for American desert rats.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Huge congrats my man. But keep heading South.

I can't get through SF fast enough

Loreto and La Paz are the best of Baja. Especially if you like the water and the best offroad trails.

SF is a MX party town and a weekend destination for American desert rats.

Can be busy in town on a race weekend but doesn't affect us unless we want it to, i.e. going into town to join the festivities. Santa Semana is probably the busiest but that's only one week.

After going to Baja for over 30 years we never thought we'd end up here. But we did and for many reasons we're really happy here. Only downside is the endless miles of whooped out sand when on a dirt bike.

Agree that Loreto and many other parts of Baja are nice. However the considerations for a full time residence and a vacation are not necessarily the same. Probably not the same from one person to the next either. We lived in a very nice house on the water in Ventura for many years. We're over that. For now, living in SF suits us perfectly. In 10 years, who knows?

JMHO YMMV
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 03:42 PM

The ocean and beaches are just awful in SF.

No coves, 1/4 mile tides. No mountains along the coast.

Go South ppl.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 03:49 PM

I hear what you say JZ, and would add Mulege to the list of gulf side choices. Having said that, I know I would find things to like about San Felipe if I spent any time around there!

I have considered looking for a dentist around there to justify making Baja runs. I have one I really like in La Paz, but S.F. is so much closer for a quick trip.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 03:55 PM

Felicidades!

I admire your sense of adventure. Moving to a new place is challenging. Moving to a new country with a new language is a few levels up.

Please continue posting and sharing your progress on the taller y casa.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 04:10 PM

Gawdfries, Jizzy...... shut up already. We all get it, you hate San Flip. Ergo, DON'T GO THERE. STAY AWAY. GO SOUTH (preferably Honduras).

Leave people alone, your taste is all in your own mouth... people can choose for themselves. :P

To the OP Bajazly, more power to you. Been there, done it twice; sold out the home and business(es), took my RV and headed out with nothing and nowhere planned, let life find me and vice versa. It's a very exhilarating experience. Word of advice; DOWN-SIZE. The more you think you own the more all your 'stuff' owns you.

Enjoy your new adventure. I highly recommend it. :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 05:11 PM

Please JZ STFU with your endless bashing of SF. You don´t like it. We get it. ¡YA BASTA!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Gawdfries, Jizzy...... shut up already. We all get it, you hate San Flip. Ergo, DON'T GO THERE. STAY AWAY. GO SOUTH (preferably Honduras).

Leave people alone, your taste is all in your own mouth... people can choose for themselves. :P

Two different kinds of people. BCN for convenience NOB. Still MX.

Like JZ, Baja doesn't start for me until I'm in GN for the night, heading South. It's MX too and I love it there.

I have an opinion about SF but keeping it to myself. Just not a big deal. JZ is entitled to his strong opinion. Don't think this stuff is personal.

Bajazly? Congrats on moving forward. Nice to see another adventurer heading South with a dream. The best in your travels. Cheers.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.