Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Im out
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 05:42 PM

I have seen most of the areas of Baja that people like to go to. My favorite beach is about 20 miles from San Felipe. There are other great beaches in Baja and they can be very different.
The reason I like my beach so much is that it is:

*All sand and shells.
*Virtually nobody is ever there, 4WD needed to get to.
*It is disconnected from the rest of Baja at the highest tides.
*It is within a day's drive from my home.
*The sea is very warm in the summer.
*There are two beaches with different water conditions (lagoon side and open sea side)

Now, there are plenty of other great beaches I like to camp at... but they don't offer all the same features that my Shell Island has...
Gonzaga Bay
Bahia San Rafael
Punta San Francisquito
Bahia Concepcion (El Requeson and La Perla)
San Roque
Playas Pacificas (La Aguja)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 06:24 PM
Where does the "Real Baja" start?

For me just crossing the line is a great lift to my spirits

Ten miles south of Los Pinos Pemex it really kicks in

SF? Not my favorite, but sure had some good times and great shrimp meals there.

To each his own, get me across the line and I am "Back Home Again in Indiana.....errrrrr Baja"
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 06:58 PM

Best of luck best thing you could do get out of CA. Also JZ the best trails are not south . Too hot JAJA
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Best of luck best thing you could do get out of CA. Also JZ the best trails are not south . Too hot JAJA

I like your area on the West coast of BCN. The East coast of BCN above Gonzaga, not so much.

[Edited on 8-19-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-18-2019 at 10:51 PM

Wow, thanks for all the support here. I am both ecstatic and terrified but the later is going away quickly. I just spent my first almost week there and came back across tonight to do my Global Entry interview tomorrow.... then i think I’ll go back.

Found a house, goofy as all but cheap and furnished and comes with a house keeper, the owner who is a widow and moving out to her kids place in town so I can move in. Think she saw a good op to make a little money and I’m glad to help her, very sweet lady.

I get the San Felipe heat and sucky beaches and all but there is not a stop light with in a hundred miles, still has a small town feel and the proximity to the boarder and Mexicali is good for me. I like it further down the peninsula but it takes more effort to get stuff to and from further down.

That being said, my shop will be mostly metal working/machining type of stuff. I’ll have a small Waterjet, a couple mills, a lathe, drill press, tig and mig welding a car lift and some other stuff I can’t remember right now. Not really doing business but I know word will get out and well, I’ll have some projects. Supporting the race crowd or the breakdown crowd when close or whatever plus some artish type stuff or whatever pops into my head is what it’s all about.

I do plan on getting around the peninsula and even to mainland quite a bit but like I say, if you’re near or coming thu, don’t be shy. If I’m in town all are welcome to come on by. I plan on doing a little fire sculpture landscaping and will definitely have a big fire pit for the cooler nights.

Thanks for the good words and support, here’s to the next chapter starting and I look forward to seeing any and all of you at some point at Castillo de Bozly.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 06:32 AM

Living the dream....going to Mexico and starting a business.

Buenas suerte.

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I like your area on the West coast of BCN. The East coast of BCN above Gonzaga, not so much. ........ I'm still waiting for you to show up . I have incredible trails . That little will ever see if single track and 50 year abandoned road is your thing. I will plan a trip South with you sounds like fun

[Edited on 8-19-2019 by JZ]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 12:00 PM

Good for you! Moving is hard and eventually, you will find your place somewhere in Baja. Might well be san felipe, but might well be elsewhere too! We have seen so many folks start in one place and later, change.

suerte!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 12:04 PM

Good for you! Moving is hard and eventually, you will find your place somewhere in Baja. Might well be san felipe, but might well be elsewhere too! We have seen so many folks start in one place and later, change.

suerte!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 12:08 PM

Second on that what ever makes you happy.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 12:12 PM

A little advice don't over build or buy. As real estate not like USA. Difficult to sell most always a loss. Business in Mexico not like USA. For me I make most money not doing business here.;)
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 12:44 PM

For me I make most money not doing business here.;)

A you tube RV guy had a couple welds done on his MH
in GN recently, Mex welder charged him $10 dlls. Here in
OC, I don't think you could get a guy to consider even the
smallest of welds for $200. I guess it is more than obvious
to fly under the radar. Not sure SF deserves the bashing,
would be nice to bulldoze the crumbling bldgs, eliminate
the trash. No one
ever considered it quaint. Good luck with your endeavor

[Edited on 8-19-2019 by sancho]

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 03:21 PM

Congrats on retirement! Not too sure why people are crapping on your decision to move to San Felipe...it's your decision not theirs.

Zac

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-19-2019 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Congrats on retirement! Not too sure why people are crapping on your decision to move to San Felipe...it's your decision not theirs.

Zac

Exactly. Kinda like oysters, you either LOVE them or Hate um....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 11:36 AM

Good for you! I waited until I was 75. I should have quit while still relatively young. Still healthy so I can't complain.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-20-2019 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Zac

Yeah doesn’t bother me and they are only expressing what they do and don’t like. To each his own and I may find this wasn’t the best place but I have some friends here and making more all the time. I do plan on getting around quite a bit so soon I should have friends in further reaching places in Mexico. Always good to be able to show up somewhere and know some local folks.

Did my Global Entry interview yesterday and what didn’t start out so good ended in you should receive your card in about 5 to 7 days and remember when you renew your passport in 2 years if you are in Mexico full time tell them to change the GE card. Sounds pretty positive to me but i hope I won’t need to use it very often.

Again, thanks for the well wishes and kind words. Blanca and Shari, it won’t be long before I show up on your doorsteps, ABC, might take a little longer to get back to La Paz but I will be there sooner rather than later. Russ, it’s been 27 years since I’ve been in PC, love to see what it’s like now.

I move into my goofy little rental house tomorrow for 4 or 5 months and I’m pretty stoked about that. Welcome to the neighborhood house warming parties to ensue for sure.

Oh, and it’s not retirement per se, it’s doing something different but I haven’t figured out what the different is yet but a little time should help define that sooner of later.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.