Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: good and bad gas stations - no, they are not all bad
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-24-2019 at 12:37 PM
good and bad gas stations - no, they are not all bad

does anyone remember the Mexican web site that shows test results of all gas stations?

Harald Pietschmann
chrishaynesusa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2019 at 12:46 PM

looking forward to this bit of information also.....
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2019 at 02:43 PM

This one? https://combustibles.profeco.gob.mx/qqg/?page_id=13

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2019 at 02:57 PM

no, it was interactive map

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2019 at 03:08 PM

found it!
But to no surprise - it is disabled now.
https://litroscompletos.eluniversal.com.mx/

Harald Pietschmann
gulfmako

[*] posted on 8-24-2019 at 08:18 PM

I had an issue with the Pemex just south of Mulege this summer. Charged my card twice for fuel(not the same amount, one charge was for $210 usd). I just so happened to be coming back north a week or so later and was able to stop in and collect the overcharge. It took about 30 minutes of an informal court session and a couple of tecates as payment for a helpful interpreter, but it worked out in the end. We were at a stalemate until the military rolled in for fuel. Just a casual glance and a raised eyebrow in the direction of the hummer and the correct amount of pesos were produced by the attendant. He never fully admitted to running the card twice(blamed an employ not working that day) but the pesos came from him at the direction of the manager.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-24-2019 at 09:32 PM

No one ever said they were ALL bad.

Just 80% of them............

Pemex, that is. Our new Arco stations appear to be, well, on the level.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 08:24 AM

Cash is king in Baja but then again I am only there a few weeks at a time. It is easy to bring enough cash for that length of time.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 08:52 AM

Go only to the popular petrol stations. The local folks have apps (at least in the Ensenada area) where they communicate who is shorting customers and who is not. It is pretty clear here as to who is being shunned. One station is packed, the next one is empty.

It's like dodging potholes. Just follow the guy in front of you.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 09:06 AM

The Mulegé station (on the highway, south of town) has a bad reputation for years. They shorted me in 2017... putting in more gallons/ liters than my tank holds, lol.
The other really bad one was in Santa Rosalia, on the west side of the highway, downtown.
The cost of enjoying Baja means some things are more expensive than you like. It is just really unfair to the locals.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 09:23 AM

here is what I have for Baja
help me complete it, if you have additional information

Attachment: gas.kmz (23kB)
This file has been downloaded 287 times

[Edited on 8-25-2019 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gulfmako  
I had an issue with the Pemex just south of Mulege this summer. Charged my card twice for fuel(not the same amount, one charge was for $210 usd).

For the record, from a seasoned Baja traveler, I would NEVER use a card at a Pemex. Maybe it's fine 80% of the time, I don't want to find out.

If you're not using Pesos, you didn't prepare.

I do use a card at Walmart La Paz and Cabo, and Costco Cabo. Just don't trust anyone with my card.

I've been scammed once in San Jose, Costa Rica. Not Baja but scammers are everywhere.

Wonder if locals have the same paranoia?

Have a neighbor in Pesky who tests the Pemex for honesty every Winter. He's come up short on liters (filling a 5 liter container) in Pesky and think the one in Todos downtown.

I consider it the cost of doing business, usually.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 09:34 AM

The Gonzaga station is still Pemex.

Gas is sold from jugs in San Miguel Comondú, just past where the road to San José Comondú turns right after entering town.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
No one ever said they were ALL bad.

Just 80% of them............

Pemex, that is. Our new Arco stations appear to be, well, on the level.

thats interesting.....here in the rosarito area Arco's have long lines also, no difference in pricing sooooo they must be fair.....er:coolup:
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
no, it was interactive map

The one I linked to is pretty clunky but you can look up the station number here http://guiapemex.pemex.com/SitePages/home.aspx#! and search for their test results.

Jinete Viejo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 03:57 PM

You can get gas from drums at San Francisquito.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 07:21 PM

The first Pemex when you enter San Felipe from the north, has always been a problem. Don’t give them any cash until they take out the exact change. So if you owe 2800 pesos don’t hand him 3000 until he has the 200 change in his hand. They say they don’t have exact change and come back after a group meeting with the other gas jockeys and say you only gave him 2500.

I love baja but that place does pee me off. I am going to the next Pemex this year. Might be better?
Whiskey Witch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 10:35 PM
good gas stations

We have been using our u.s. plated car on the Baja since 2014. primariiy in La Paz but we also drive back and forth to the u.s. at least once a year. We always gas up with pesos. I don't believe there has been any time that we were charged unfairly. We have a good handle on our gas mileage and have not detected any discrepancies. We do find that we get a little better gas mileage with California Norte fuel, than we do down in Baja.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 05:23 AM

I have usually had pretty good luck too. I get out of the car to stretch, watch them reset the meter, pay what is owed and give a tip. I have my "usual" stations I always stop at and while they most likely don't remember me I try to smile and make conversation. Like Whiskey Witch (love the name) I have a good idea of how much a half to full tank should cost in pesos. As always, cash (pesos) is king. My solution to a station I feel overcharged me? I never go back.

[Edited on 8-26-2019 by BajaMama]
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 06:59 AM

In Mulege the easiest access to buy large quantities of fuel was to drag your boat to the south Pemex which at the time was owned by the same lady that owned the downtown Pemex. One of my fishing partners could be a little loud at times went and filled his boat. When he started doing the Math it came out that the pumps improved the amounts by about 22%. After being his loud self a Manager finally came out and offered to remove the gas and not charge him but he would be banned from their stations. Needless to say he had the opportunity to make a point or forever travel to Loreto or Santa Rosilia to buy his gas. He sucked it up.
What I never understood this lady lived in town right across the street from one of the most popular tiendas. Every time I had to buy gas I would always think I should walk to her house and spray paint Gasolina Bandida on her front wall.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.