BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: La Paz-Mazatlan Ferry Status?
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 11:59 AM
La Paz-Mazatlan Ferry Status?

I'm sorry if this is a subject that has been explored too much, but I did search and only found stuff from Jan 2019.
Is the La Paz to Mazatlan overnight ferry in operation? Over the years I've taken this every year in January.... but I'd heard there was a change.
True?
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 02:36 PM

Be sure to get your TIP

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 02:44 PM

I took it in the beginning of May 2019. Everythings was fine until we lost an engine. Got in 6 hrs late:(

The only noticable change was it left La Paz 2hrs. later than previous years.

[Edited on 8-25-2019 by chippy]
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 03:31 PM

Thank You, I had heard they purchased a new boat, and then I heard they cancelled all runs to Mazatlan, leaving only the Topo run in service. Good to hear it's almost normal.
Yes, I know to get my TIP before I can board. Made that mistake 6 years ago.
Thank You.

'Nother question: Have you ever had good luck simply relying on the web site reservations and just showing up? Over the many years I've always made the www ticket purchase, but then in addition I've always taken an extra trip to the ticket office in La Paz to make absolutely certain of my spot on the boat. Car & Driver.

[Edited on 8-26-2019 by kiterkip]
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kiterkip  
Over the years I've taken this every year in January....

What route do you take north from Mazatlan Kip ??
We're thinking of doing it this Jan/Feb.

[Edited on 8-26-2019 by Diver]
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 08:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Diver  
Over the years I've taken this every year in January....

What route do you take north from Mazatlan Kip ??
We're thinking of doing it this Jan/Feb.

[Edited on 8-26-2019 by Diver]

I head south to Barra de Navidad/Melaque on 15D up through Guadalajara. Then about 3 months later I head up 15D to Nogales or Sonoyta. Easy, safe drive.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 11:45 AM

Thank You, I had heard they purchased a new boat, and then I heard they cancelled all runs to Mazatlan, leaving only the Topo run in service. Good to hear it's almost normal.
Yes, I know to get my TIP before I can board. Made that mistake 6 years ago.
Thank You.

'Nother question: Have you ever had good luck simply relying on the web site reservations and just showing up? Over the many years I've always made the www ticket purchase, but then in addition I've always taken an extra trip to the ticket office in La Paz to make absolutely certain of my spot on the boat. Car & Driver.

[Edited on 8-26-2019 by kiterkip]

They used the new boat for the Mazatlan run for a little while then switched it to Topo while fixing up one of the older boats. In may it was one of the older boats that lost the engine.

Heading North I call in a reservation but you still have to go to the office in Maz. hours before loading starts. Heading south I always get it in La Paz as I never really know my schedule and if I have to wait a few days in La Paz I´m happy to do so. I never had much luck with their website.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 12:16 PM

i have had good luck with telephone reservations.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 12:20 PM

Is the 'El Shrimp Bucket' still in business in Mazatlán?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 01:09 PM

We showed up at the Mazatlan terminal two days before a La Paz departure and were only able to reserve a seat. The gal at the ticket window said to check in at the onboard desk after the ship is underway. I checked in then and scored the main stateroom. Word was this cabin is held for VIP’s that might show at the last minute. Cabin with toilet and shower on the O1 level. All said; I would reserve ahead and yes, double check your reservation a day or so early.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yep! My cholesterol rises just thinking about it;).
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Yep! My cholesterol rises just thinking about it;).

So cool... we ate there in 1970 or '71!!!

[Edited on 8-26-2019 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 01:39 PM

I head south to Barra de Navidad/Melaque on 15D up through Guadalajara.

That was my plan in November of 2014! Unfortunately, the conditions that my old dog would have to put up with during the crossing made it a non-option.

Love that area, I was last there at the end of 2007, and want to go back! I planned on taking the coast route down to Melaque, then back north on the main route (15d?).

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 02:47 PM

I remember in 1973 when my mom tried to sneak her little dog onto the Santa Rosalia/ Guaymas ferry inside her coat. She didn't make it past the ship's boarding person. Had to put it in our car but we were free to walk into the cargo hold (vehicle area) anytime to check on her 'Muñeca'.

kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

That was my plan in November of 2014! Unfortunately, the conditions that my old dog would have to put up with during the crossing made it a non-option.

Love that area, I was last there at the end of 2007, and want to go back! I planned on taking the coast route down to Melaque, then back north on the main route (15d?).

Yes, It's pretty brutal on the Baja Ferry for the pooch. Not sure just what I'll do now that I have a more high-strung schnauzer. Maybe some cannabis. TMC ferry would allow her to sleep with me in my Subaru..... that's harsh for the human.
It's actually not all 15D until you are northbound out of GDL, you take the Manzanillo/Colima to GDL (I think it's 84), then you get on the delightful brand new libramento the skips all of the annoying crush of Guadalajara. The libramento joins 15D near Tequila.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2019 at 08:47 PM

The vet will give you doggy Xanax. The dog will sleep through it all.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2019 at 05:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Yes, It's pretty brutal on the Baja Ferry for the pooch. Not sure just what I'll do now that I have a more high-strung schnauzer. Maybe some cannabis. TMC ferry would allow her to sleep with me in my Subaru..... that's harsh for the human.
It's actually not all 15D until you are northbound out of GDL, you take the Manzanillo/Colima to GDL (I think it's 84), then you get on the delightful brand new libramento the skips all of the annoying crush of Guadalajara. The libramento joins 15D near Tequila.

Its hwy 110 from Manz. to Colima then 54D to Tequila and 15D. The newish bypasses (Guad, Tepic; Maz, Obregon and Herm. really save alot of time 4hrs+ for me last time up.
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2019 at 07:43 AM

OK, I can't resist this. We love El Shrimp Bucket and would always eat there on all Mazataln visits. Still do.
But in about 1997 or so my wife and I went out for a simply wonderful romantic candle light dinner there with our favorite dishes. At one point she's looking across the table at me with big moon eyes saying "You're so wonderful, I love you so much"
I can see over her shoulder the kitchen in the background. Just as she's expressive how much in love she is on this perfect night?...... I see a hug rat dancing across the kitchen floor!!!
I did not spoil the night and saved the rat story until the next morning :)

We often stayed at La Siesta Hotel upstairs from the El Shrimp Bucket.
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2019 at 07:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
The vet will give you doggy Xanax. The dog will sleep through it all.

Thanks!! I will need this for Luna. She's a rescue schnauzer we found in Manzanillo last year. She gets a bit of separation anxiety at times. I'll probably prep her with many nights in her kennel crate pre-ferry ride.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-27-2019 at 09:29 AM

Please report back on how things work out with your pup! The problems that I decided to avoid with my old girl, were mostly age related. She was almost fifteen, and had diminishing control of her bowels, and bladder and on a crossing that long she would be laying in her own filth!

About the doggie downers, maybe talk to your veterinarian about doing a dosage test before you commit to a long crossing. My old dog loved road trips, but stressed out with any kennel travel!

She required twice the dosage that a dog her size should need, and it still was not enough to keep her calm on a long lay-over, or ferry crossing.

The ninety pounder that I have now travels fine without sedatives. I have kennel conditioned her since she was six months old, and I am sure that has helped her with flights to and from Alaska.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.