BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: La Paz-Mazatlan Ferry Status?
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2019 at 03:25 PM

BTW when you step onto a vessel, and it moves, it's a boat. If if does not move, it's a ship.......:)
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-27-2019 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
BTW when you step onto a vessel, and it moves, it's a boat. If if does not move, it's a ship.......:)

Where's a yacht fit in?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-27-2019 at 05:45 PM

Boats are vessels that will fit on a ship.
All us old Navy guys know that one...
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2019 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

I was a airedale, so I don't have a clue ship vs boat. El Centro California, test parachute 68-72. It's where I found my first love of all things Mexico.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-28-2019 at 08:07 AM
Join the Navy See the world

Quote: Originally posted by kiterkip  

I was a airedale, so I don't have a clue ship vs boat. El Centro California, test parachute 68-72. It's where I found my first love of all things Mexico.

So you get stuck in the ovens of El Centro
and I go aboard my first ship in San Diego, believing that weekends in Baja will be on the menu.
10 days later we head for Panama and the next two years in steamy Norfolk, back and forth to the Caribbean 9 times.
Ever been to Port au Prince?
Makes the TJ barrio look like Malibu
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2019 at 09:08 AM

So you get stuck in the ovens of El Centro
and I go aboard my first ship in San Diego, believing that weekends in Baja will be on the menu.
10 days later we head for Panama and the next two years in steamy Norfolk, back and forth to the Caribbean 9 times.
Ever been to Port au Prince?
Makes the TJ barrio look like Malibu

Nope, Closest I ever got was the Dominican Republic. It was more ghetto than any Mexico neighborhood.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-28-2019 at 10:34 AM

Kiterkip, When you are in Melaque, do you ever go play with the crocodiles at La Manzanilla? If you are lucky, you might be able to swim with them in the bay! (I passed on the opportunity)

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2019 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Kiterkip, When you are in Melaque, do you ever go play with the crocodiles at La Manzanilla? If you are lucky, you might be able to swim with them in the bay! (I passed on the opportunity)

Visited the crocs many times.
We had a comment on TomZap many years ago from a disgruntled woman who visited with her 2 sweet little Pomeranian dogs. She came to see the crocs... let the dogs out of the car.... next she noticed was that one of the crocs had a bulge in his midriff.
She was very upset at the Mexican culture that would allow such a thing.
:)
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 8-28-2019 at 11:55 AM

The first time I've seen my personally - regarded finest area so far, mentioned here, the southern portion of Jalisco. the Costa Alegra. After seven winter stays on a beach of Tenacatita- Playa Mora, also called the Aquarium - we always faced La Manzanilla directly across the Bay, maybe 5 or 6 miles away. Visited friends on the beach there who, after one night were returning back to their rig on the beach, made themselves a quick detour when they noticed right in front of them on their path, a very long, dark and low-slung object right in front of them! And yes the crocs liked to swim just off shore there at La Manzanilla, with people on the beach trying to keep any swimmers "informed." After a hurricane came through one year, and the bridge over the Lagoon became history, it was very interesting to watch people trying to pass around the beach end of the lagoon to gain the dead-end road on the other side because the crocs like to sun themselves over the footprints of earlier travelers. Its been ten years away for me to a part of the world that's perfect November to end of February, but when March rolled around we'd need head to higher, cooler ground found closer to Gaudalajara, and the multitude of facinating smaller Mexican towns.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-28-2019 at 06:35 PM

That is sad to hear! I was last there for a couple of weeks over thanksgiving 2007, and I was hoping that the area would be slow to change.

I used to snorkel out on the point where the river flows into the bay. I picked up lots of plastic on the rocks that would wash down from town, but the water seemed clear, and lots of interesting sea life around those rocks!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2019 at 07:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by daveB  
The first time I've seen my personally - regarded finest area so far, mentioned here, the southern portion of Jalisco. the Costa Alegra. After seven winter stays on a beach of Tenacatita- Playa Mora, also called the Aquarium - we always faced La Manzanilla directly across the Bay, maybe 5 or 6 miles away. Visited friends on the beach there who, after one night were returning back to their rig on the beach, made themselves a quick detour when they noticed right in front of them on their path, a very long, dark and low-slung object right in front of them! And yes the crocs liked to swim just off shore there at La Manzanilla, with people on the beach trying to keep any swimmers "informed." After a hurricane came through one year, and the bridge over the Lagoon became history, it was very interesting to watch people trying to pass around the beach end of the lagoon to gain the dead-end road on the other side because the crocs like to sun themselves over the footprints of earlier travelers. Its been ten years away for me to a part of the world that's perfect November to end of February, but when March rolled around we'd need head to higher, cooler ground found closer to Gaudalajara, and the multitude of facinating smaller Mexican towns.

You probably would not like Melaque now. It's overrun with party-time tourists and gentrification. Tons of Quebequas have purchased and built designer homes. The weekend rush of Gaudalajara visitors is insane. It has changed so much since your time of 10+ years ago. Oh.... and they added two stop light, 3 OXXO's, 3 Kiokas stores, and a Bodega (Walmart) in Melaque. I would prefer to live in La Perula, or La Manzanilla, but the wife loves the dance scene. Oh... and... The creek that runs through West Melaque is all black water that goes straight to the bay from apartments and hotels, directly to a baby beach with children playing & splashing. I have not swam at Melaque for 6 years.

Wow Kip quite the expert on Melaque:lol:. I do appreciate your fake news to keep the lame ass gringos out but alot of what you posted is NOT true.

PLEASE go to La Manz you´re perfect for that place:light:.
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 07:09 AM

Good Morning Chippy,
Fake news? OK, maybe I sound a bit "glass 1/2 empty".
Come to the west end on Melaque on a windless day and you'll almost choke on the open sewer smell. This was not the case 10 years ago before a string of larger apartments were built. Come for a walk and see the open pipes draining from these buildings. You are aware that the power was disconnected from the govt sewer treatment plant? Now the lagoon is our treatment.
My 1/2 empty glass is only from missing those carefree days of 10 years ago.
Are you from Melaque? Been there most winters for 30 years.
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 08:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

I didn't return till the 80's, stepped off the bus among the multi-story hotels and literally thought I'd arrived in the wrong town. :o

Ha! I met a guy who used to come to Barra back in your times. He said they always set up over on the spit in front of Barra. Dug a pit for the RV drains and stayed all winter.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 08:26 AM

Good Morning Chippy,
Fake news? OK, maybe I sound a bit "glass 1/2 empty".
Come to the west end on Melaque on a windless day and you'll almost choke on the open sewer smell. This was not the case 10 years ago before a string of larger apartments were built. Come for a walk and see the open pipes draining from these buildings. You are aware that the power was disconnected from the govt sewer treatment plant? Now the lagoon is our treatment.
My 1/2 empty glass is only from missing those carefree days of 10 years ago.
Are you from Melaque? Been there most winters for 30 years.

Morning Kip,
Hey you seem like an ok dude sorry if I came off a little harsh. I have been living down here full time since June 1998. I bought my first place (villa obregon) in 1995 after the eathquake. I have been traveling up and down the Pacific coast of Mexico since i was a teenager (63 now).

Your 10 year thing is funny to me. Sure things where a lot less developed 10 years ago due to the financial crisis of 2008. 2005 thru 2008 things where going crazy development wise with no end in site. Then the crisis hit (gracias a dios) and set it back 10 years. It´s now getting back to that pre 2008 stage (unfortunatly).

Sewer, agricultural chemicals and who knows what has always run out the west end creek. It was better before they drained the swamp that the army base is now built on.

The designer homes thing is also funny. Those POS slap em up junk you consider designer. I´m originally fron S. Calif. My idea of a designer home differs hugely.

This pueblita was built by and for Mexicans/Tapatios coming from Guad.and other parts of Jalisco to party and vacation Mexican style. Its only the 2 to 3 month (jan thru march) occupation that this is not obvious.

This occupational force (snowbird tourists) I speak of seems to be comprised of 90% absolute experts on the Costa Alegre. It´s very annoying and now I spend those months else where.

Saludos Kip

ps theres still no Aurrera Bodega in Melaque/Villa Obregon.

[Edited on 8-30-2019 by chippy]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 08:29 AM
Another old fogie!

My first view of Barra de Navidad was from the back seat of a 53 Buick Roadmaster, fighting for a window seat with my older brother and sister!

That was in 1957, and I was ten years old. My dad was doing well in the logging industry in northern California, and winter pretty much shut down operations back then, so we used to head to Manzanillo for a couple of months in the winter.

Yeah, it has seen some changes!

kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Saludos Kip

Morning Chippy,
I think we've met? I go to the Costa Allegre English speaking church sporadically.
Regarding the Aurrera/Bodega store.... that comment of mine was from the latest news I've heard on TomZap. Sounds like the rock mountain that they took down near the hwy #200 across from the Pemex is in construction with a Bodega.
Also... condo people are trying to build an apartment complex on the old Concha del Mar beach-front site in West Melaque. Not sure if that got off the ground.
Kip
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Saludos Kip

Morning Chippy,
I think we've met? I go to the Costa Allegre English speaking church sporadically.
Regarding the Aurrera/Bodega store.... that comment of mine was from the latest news I've heard on TomZap. Sounds like the rock mountain that they took down near the hwy #200 across from the Pemex is in construction with a Bodega.
Also... condo people are trying to build an apartment complex on the old Concha del Mar beach-front site in West Melaque. Not sure if that got off the ground.
Kip

They will! You should see the monstrosity they´re finishing up a block inland from me in VO. 30+ condos:no:.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.